The Time Traveler's Wife ~ pages 110 - 219

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Time Traveler's Wife ~ pages 110 - 219

Post by knightss »

How do you feel about the further development of the story over the past 100 pages? Henry, although very confused about the entire situation, seems to be making an attempt to please Clare.

Does Henry possibly have a drinking problem (although i guess if he's time traveling drinking is the least of his problems) or does he just drink frequently because it helps him relax and may help stop the teleporting through time issue.

Henry's condition seems to me to be very similar to Post Traumatic Stress. Of course losing a mother at such a young age is very traumatic. Just replace the time traveling with anxiety (panic) attacks and you have a man with PTS symptoms. How do you feel about my theory?

Keep reading fellow book lovers =)
Last edited by knightss on 21 Jun 2007, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
awelker

Post by awelker »

I think that Henry drinks so much because he is trying to block out so much stuff that has happened in his life. In this aspect he is a lot like a normal human. It is his drinking that will almost kill him (i don't know if it is in that part or not).
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I think he drinks because he is such a troubled guy. In the first part of the story, we mostly see Henry as Clare saw him when she was young. There he seems more stable and wise, probably since he is an adult. However, as the story develops we find that Henry is more of a troubled guy who isn't comfortable with time traveling.

Additionally, the roles switch so that Henry doesn't know the future but Clare does.

Didn't Henry tell Clare when she was younger that he wasn't supposed to drink, because of doctor's orders?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
awelker

Post by awelker »

yep. at least i think so.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

yeah, I remember him saying he isn't supposed to drink.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

Henry does drink a lot. He is quite troubled and it runs in his family. I did find it interesting that when Clare is young Henry says he does not drink because of his doctor, but he continues to drink quite regularly throughout the book.

I was really shocked by Clare's boldness when Henry first met her. I think if it were me, I would be terrified of making my first impression on young Henry. After two years of waiting I fear I would worry myself into paranoid hysteria... Of course she knows that they end up married, but she doesn't know how that comes to be.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I think it is more likely a coping strategy for depression. He is the only person afflicted with this "genetic disease" and his father has been a raging alcoholic ever since his mother died. The lack of connection with his father as well as his inability to really open up to anyone (especially regarding his condition) has caused him to go to alcohol for comfort.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

Wow, i think the book will be great for this!
Thanks for the great review scott

Return to “Book of the month”