Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Re: Discussion of The Lovey Bones

Post by Carrie R »

MAKBrown wrote:The story of someone telling us how things are from the grave with such clarity is an unexplored subject.
I agree. Having a protagonist narrating from the "great beyond" was an intriguing technique. I've read some books that have done this, and it seemed a bit gimmicky. But certainly not "The Lovely Bones." It was handled brilliantly, I thought--better so in the book than the movie.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
mlreed69
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mlreed69 »

I enjoyed this book. The unusual perspective of the dead girl telling the story was good. I was drawn into the story and didn't want to put it down until I finished it. It has been a while since I read it. May have to pull back up and read it again!
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I'll admit, I decided to read this book because people kept raving it so I though I should give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.
Overall I enjoyed the novel but couldn't help but think that it was a bit overrated. Yes, some parts of the book were pretty gruesome and the beginning was violent and choking but as the as story developed it started to drag a little bit and I kind of lost interest in some parts. However I liked the fact that the book told us the story from a unique perspective and how it dealt with such a sensitive matter.
I also saw the movie and didn't like it that much; even though the book isn't one of my favorite, I think it was better than the movie adaptation.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
jray321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jray321.html

Post by jray321 »

I read the "Lovely Bones" years ago as part of a high school English project and I would have to say that I enjoyed the book quite a bit despite its at times sad and gruesome moments. I normally don't enjoy books that involve moments that are as graphic as some were in this book, however Sebold had a way of writing in such a captivating way that I couldn't stop. Even with that being said, I kind of had a hard time stomaching one of the later events of the book where Susie's spirit takes over her friend, Ruth's, body and proceeds to make love to Ray - who is the boy from school that previously had feelings for Susie.
lblack8
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lblack8.html
Latest Review: "A Beautiful Mess" by Ali Berlinkski

Post by lblack8 »

I loved this book so much, but the movie was disappointing. I really want to read this book a second time and see if I still love it as much as I did the first time around.
Latest Review: "A Beautiful Mess" by Ali Berlinkski
ushadestinations

Post by ushadestinations »

I absolutely agree with you friends...
tiajanay

Post by tiajanay »

When i first got this book i wanted to cry when it began. I almost didn't get past the first couple of chapters when i read how she died or rather was murdered. But i pushed though it and i am so glad i did. The descriptions of Susie in heaven watching her family fall apart right before her eyes were moving. I went through a wide array of emotions as i read this book but once i got past the first chapter of her death i felt like i couldn't put it down until her killer was caught and brought to justice. I watched as her family fell apart and saw her heart ache and her confusion as she questioned why she felt so alone in heaven. It was a truly lovely book and a story i will never forget.
catesschwark
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: East of Eden
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catesschwark.html
Latest Review: "The Littlefield Chronicels" by Tegon Maus

Post by catesschwark »

I read this book a couple of years ago and couldn't put it down! I thought the writing was great, the imagery was very descriptive, and I liked the voice of the book. I agree with what most everyone else has posted - I too thought the movie was disappointing, but I thought that it captured the angst and determination of her family which is a large part of the story.
Latest Review: "The Littlefield Chronicels" by Tegon Maus
jbj

Post by jbj »

havnt read it watched the film though and it got me gripped so id love to read the book.
poornimakrishnan

Post by poornimakrishnan »

I agree that having the deceased main character narrate the story was intriguing, as was the idea of a personal heaven(although that has been used before). But on the whole, the book gets boring and drifts a little after the first few pages. The ending to me, was absolutely baffling. Good doesn't really win, evil isn't really punished, nobody really gets any solace, no loose ends are tied. It was an average read. I suggest you finish it in one sitting.
ElizabethBels
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethbels.html

Post by ElizabethBels »

I read this book because I found it on the BBC Book List Challenge and the perspective of a dead girl in heaving telling her story seemed intriguing. The beginning of the book is not that surprising, but it is still hard to put down. My favourite characters are Grandma Lynn, Buckley, Samuel, Lindsey and the family dog (forgot his name though). The characters Grandma Lynn and Buckley made me smile once and a while, moreover, they seem to make this story a bit lighter.

The author kind a lost me with Susie’s descriptions about Heaven and the out of body experience she en Ruth shared. I thought the end was not quite satisfying, since I felt that I was left with a lot of unanswered questions. I would have liked to see Mr. Harvey get arrested and brought to justice. Moreover, I did not really understand why Abigail decided to return to her family after all, since I did not get the impression that Jack was her true love.

I would rate this as an average read. The unique perspective is most definitely fresh and intriguing. But for me the story did not live up to my high expectations.
nicolaasmith88

Post by nicolaasmith88 »

What an amazing book, have read twice and will def read again in the future.
Amber Twining

Post by Amber Twining »

The Lovely Bones is a very well written book.
It has everything you could want in a good novel. Which allows it to flow and just intrigue you.
A quote that sticks out to me is the following.

“Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf. When I was little my father would pull me into his lap and reach for the snow globe. He would turn it over, letting all the snow collect on the top, then quickly invert it. The two of us watched the snow fall gently around the penguin. The penguin was alone in there, I thought, and I worried for him. When I told my father this, he said, "Don't worry, Susie; he has a nice life. He's trapped in a perfect world.”
lexelle

Post by lexelle »

I found the story obviously very sad and it made me angry.
booklover24

Post by booklover24 »

Both my grandmother and I have read the book and we both thought it was good. We saw the movie but the book gives you more incite I think.

Return to “Book of the month”