Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
jennifersmith326
Favorite Author: Nick Antinozzi
Favorite Book: Desperate Times Trilogy
Currently Reading: Wake by Amanda Hocking
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifersmith326.html
Latest Review: "The Journal" by Ryan Shamblee

Re: Discussion of The Lovey Bones

Post by jennifersmith326 »

I just finished this book.
The ending left me disappointed. It was a real let down. I really thought that they would catch Mr Harvey.

I enjoyed reading it and it was very hard to put down.

I am absolutely disgusted with Abigail. I can understand how hard it would be to lose a child but dang, she had 2 other children that needed her.

I had really hoped that while Susie was in Ruth's body that she would have told Ray where her body was.
Latest Review: "The Journal" by Ryan Shamblee
bencyjack1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bencyjack1 »

The Lovely Bones is a book that is shocking and moving at the same time. It was everything that a book should be. In my opinion, The Lovely Bones was one the most interesting novels every written.
Parnie79

Post by Parnie79 »

I thoroughly enjoyed both the book and the film. Unfortunately I happened on the film first, but it still didn't detract from what a lovely tale Miss Sebold has woven.
YaquelinO

Post by YaquelinO »

I loved the lovely bones however i wasnt a big fan of the movie
MAKBrown

Post by MAKBrown »

The story of someone telling us how things are from the grave with such clarity is an unexplored subject. I was quite intrigued by the story. There are many lessons to be learnt from the subject including the fact that no matter how nice or "normal " someone seems it is best to stick to your life rules no matter how the person adjust to win your trust. Suzie has been warned not to talk to strangers but Mr. Harvey seems so nice Suzie gets pursuaded by him. The concept of death and security(child safety ) is explored. There are also other topics such as the family coming together and the effects the loss, disappearnce of a child has on the other siblings and a marriage. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to read
nancyfee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyfee.html

Post by nancyfee »

When I started reading this book I was so exited, mainly because it was something different.But suddenly by the middle I didnt like it any more. I mean the book was ok but I had so much expectations...
DivineIntervention
Favorite Book: The tenth circle
Currently Reading: Fifty shades of Grey

Post by DivineIntervention »

I really enjoyed this book, though I do regret watching the movie first as it was a lot harder to create my own characters :x
But, I enjoyed reading the book a lot more than I did watching it, I think one of the best aspects to the book was the opening sentence "My name is Salmon, like the fish. First name: Susie. I was 14 years old, when I was murdered, on December 6, 1973." It's such a powerful statement, and it grabs your attention immediately. I'd definitely recommend reading it again, a lovely novel that leaves you in tears, I'd definitely read it again! :D
cobooboc

Post by cobooboc »

I have not read the book, it sounds good, and have the opportunity to go and see.
samsmum

Post by samsmum »

I recently read the book (didnt see the film) and really enjoyed it. it was very emotive, and i think it really made you explore - as a parent of girls - how you would cope with the loss of a child. i work with families who have lost children, and have seen the effects of sudden death on family dynamics. the mothers response is totally understandable ... but very sad.
excellent book.
Derricks

Post by Derricks »

Ive read this book.
that was really good.
must read everyone...
billie-jane

Post by billie-jane »

Mrs.T wrote:I did like the book, but I felt it dragged on for a while in the middle. Her mother upset me a little. The book was overall good and on a scale of one through ten I'd rate it like a seven. But maybee I would have liked it better if they actually caught mr. Harvey and if I didn't read it afterthe time travelers wife.
Her Mother was infuriating isn't she? And I also love a great twist when the author holds our emotions mercifully in their hands but I also enjoy a good ending. I found, also, the fact that they never found it to be Mr. Harvey didn't quite sit right with me.
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

The book was overall good and on a scale of one through ten I'd rate it like a seven. But maybee I would have liked it better if they actually caught mr. Harvey and if I didn't read it afterthe time travelers wife.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

It's a fair while since I read this book, but I did certainly enjoy it at the time. It was a novel perspective - the tell the tale from the point of view of the deceased victim. I have not seen the movi, and I am not sure that i'd actually want to.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

Old discussion from the dates of last postings. However I did enjoy the book, I liked the way the baddy got his just desserts in the end. I just recently tried the movie on DVD and dropped out very early, I could see that it would not be a patch on the book. :twisted:
Urban Reviews

Post by Urban Reviews »

I first heard of this as being a movie once watching the movie it made me want to read the book because they say the book is always better. I would have to agree the book went into more detail I like the story line a lot although it was very said.

Return to “Book of the month”