Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
dondon73
Currently Reading: Just a Minute
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Post by dondon73 »

This book played with a lot of emotions. I was very intrigued the entire time. To me this book would be good for if you are looking for a quick weekend read or need a filler in between projects for for travel.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I remember enjoying it when I read it, but I don't much remember much else about it. The only bits I remember were the rape/murder scene and the ships inside the bottles she would make with her father. Yet another book I'm going to have to re-read.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I really loved this book. (The movie was also pretty good too.) I really enjoyed that we got to know who the "bad guy" was in the beginning and then watched everyone trying to figure it out. It was the first book I'd read like that and I thought it gave it a good spin. Also, having her perspective from Heaven was an interesting take too. This is one that I need to re-read again. It's been a while!
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I must be in the minority because I really didn't like this book. It's a personal thing though...As a survivor of sexual assault and former criminal justice major, I felt it was a little unbelievable.
I had difficulty suspending my disbelief. But maybe that's only because it struck a few nerves with me.

Some scars never heal :(
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The Lovely Bones was in my TBR list since college. I read the book few years ago. Luckily, I found it on a sale. My favorite character would be the protagonist's father. Her father didn't give up on seeking justice for her.

When I met my online best friend for the first time, I gave her that book. I like the story a lot; she loves it a lot because it moved her to tears.
Last year, I finally watched the film adaptation with my college best friend's family, and they liked it, too!

Overall a good read/watch albeit the ending seems rushed to me. It's recommended for more mature audience.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

I read this book a few years ago and at the time, I wasn’t in love with it. During many parts of the book I caught myself starting to zone out and lose focus. However, looking back I’ve noticed that it’s one of the books I’m constantly thinking about. The main character, and the horrible events that happened to her, made a much bigger impact on me than I imagined. I’m thinking of reading it again soon.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I would recommend this book to a friend to read. It put a different turn on what haven is or could be. I had never thought about it in that way before.

Return to “Book of the month”