Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
houseofshawna13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofshawna13.html

Re: Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Post by houseofshawna13 »

This book gripped me from the very beginning and it has become one of my favorite books. I loved how it spanned several years, which allowed the reader to really track grief as it begins, how it can become slightly bearable, but then sneaks up on you at unexpected times and consumes you again. I also really liked that the author made the experience of grief different for each character. For example, Abigail tried to deny her feelings by refusing to attend the impromptu memorial, having the affair, and then finally leaving her family altogether. Jack on the other hand developed an obsessive (and correct) suspicion of his daughters killer which nearly took his life and left him crippled, which was a clever way to physically manifest his grief and love for his daughter as unchanging and permanent. I enjoyed the point of view from Susie's siblings as they dealt with their sister's death throughout school and how it really defined them as they entered adulthood. The author also didn't bother by making the grief clean, but told the story as I would have imagined it happening in real life. This family already has flaws and Susie's death was (forgive me) the nail in the coffin. I also really liked the point of view we got from George Harvey and how it was described that didn't really want to hurt these women at times, but was possessed almost by these dark feelings. Susie's point of view was so valuable. The relationship she had with Ruth and Ray was incredible and the movie hardly touched on these two relationships, so I wouldn't recommend watching it. Grab this book as quick as you can and be prepared to experience these raw emotions.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

After seeing the movie, I had to read the book, which I'm glad I did! The movie just left me with a weird feeling but also a simultaneous curiosity. The depiction of heaven was particularly interesting. I enjoyed the idea of having a personal heaven and following Susie's journey beyond life. To me, that would have been enough of a story in and of itself. However, seeing how life goes on after her time on Earth passes added even more meaning to her predicament. Truly, even though she was no longer physically there, her presence was far from vanishing. It's an intense premise.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I thought this book was really interesting because it covered topics that most books ignore. It talks about how each member of the family has been affected by her death, from the parents to the siblings. Even covering how the parents altered their parenting style for the youngest child. It showed that there are any ways that people can grieve and that some aren't always that obvious.

I feel mean saying this but I kind of liked the ending with Mr Harvey not being caught. It makes the book more realistic for the time it's set in. Back then it seems to be easier to get away with it without the technology and understanding we have today.

I really enjoyed this books concept, but like quite a few i did feel that the book dragged a bit in the middle. I would recommend it to friends.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the ending. My best friend died was I was 12 and he was 10. I sobbed through parts of this book because it was so accurate for how a child would think and react to the situation. But the ending was trite. A more realistic ending would have been for forensic evidence to be found or something like that... Or even, no one ever knowing who killed her or where she was. To have her ghostly attack the killer with an ice scicle was just a bucket of Cold water after an excellent story (no pun intended).
Specificity
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Specificity »

It's been a few years since I've read this, though it resides on my bookcase. I enjoyed reading it though like most books to movies, I was disappointed by the movie adaptation. Even years afterwards I can recall the scene describing her death the impending dread I had as I read it. Knowing what the end result would be. Personally, I would give this book a B-. Overall I enjoyed it but it hasn't called me to read it again.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I like the book for the fact that it is unique. I have never read a book that is narrated by a dead person in heaven who is mostly narrating events on Earth as she observes them from heaven. I think it's very interesting and original. What do you think?

Some of the parts of the book are very gruesome, like when she describes her murder in detail. It's even more disturbing considering the narrator is a school-aged girl.

Thanks,
Scott
I loved the book, easily one of the best crime/supernatural stories I have come across. Also got to enjoy it as an improvement on the (slightly under-rated) Peter Jackson movie, which promised a bit more than it delivered.

So many good characters. The villain is indeed a monster, but not one-dimensional and you can almost see some of his take on life but clearly its a maladjusted take.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

When I first picked up this book, I was expecting a mystery. I was expecting it to be a hunt for a killer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my expectations weren't meant. Normally I would be disappointed, but the author built the story in a way that kept me intrigued, and instead of leading me to a killer, she took me on a journey of acceptance and showed me that life goes on after someone disappears. I would give it a 4/4 stars.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

This book dragged like anything. I began reading it and kept wondering when the action and drama would kick in. I wound up growing bored and putting it down before I got half way through. I think the hype made me expect more than I got.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
lauraforever
Currently Reading: True detectives
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraforever.html

Post by lauraforever »

I enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to others, however, did anyone else go into it thinking it would be a bit different? I loved the idea for the story and it opened up so many ideas as to where the author could go and what could be done. Before reading the book I was kicking myself because it was an awesome idea, however I didn't feel that the author made full use of the potential of the storyline. For me, my expectations were not met entirely. I would again still recommend it, I just don't think I will read it again.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

This one was hard for me, as I'm a mother to a young child (4 years). This was totally unlike anything I had ever read before, in that I steer clear of reading about children's deaths (the mom in me can't hack it). This one was somewhat different though, because through all the tears and sadness, the main character ends up finding happiness. I was defintiely thrown off by the description of her murder in detail, and actually only read the first few sentences of that part before I had to skim to the next scene.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Post by Shein30438 »

This is a novel I would highly recommend for those who love a little mystery. I had a hard time putting the book down, very captivating. It can be very hard to read in parts for the fact that it pulls on the heart strings of any parent or anyone in general. I could hear the voice of Susie the whole time. Very well written!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I wish I had been here in 2009 to discuss the book. I was 16 when I read it and it stayed in my heart ever since. It has so much charm and heartache, so much I could never forget the way I felt reading the book. I was a teen back then and I guess I still am, because I love it and forever will!
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I really enjoyed this book. I agree the mother did annoy me very much. How it was written from the dead girl's perspective was very unique. Some of the scenes were really hard to read and the book has some weird parts but its one of my favourite YA books.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I really liked Lovely Bones. I liked how it was told from the girls perspective.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
rkgemes
Currently Reading: Opposites Attract
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkgemes.html
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson

Post by rkgemes »

I enjoyed reading The Lovely Bones and it was a tough book to put down. It reminds me that the world is not as safe as it once was. I did not like the mother. She was harsh but that also allows me to realize that there are many different kinds of people. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. The father was an interesting fellow. I like the way his character was written. He seemed lonely to me in the way he dealt with his grief. But he was also a softie!
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson

Return to “Book of the month”