Discuss The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Dustin M
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-m.html

Re: Discuss The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Post by Dustin M »

I have to give it a solid meh. I know, I know 'Its a classic!' Well maybe it is but I just really didn't care for it that much. The writing style was good and the plot well founded, but it just didn't grab me in any particular way.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

It has been far too long since I read this book. I need to revisit it with the mindset of an adult, and perhaps reconnect with my younger self. I liked Huck so much more than Tom.

I am adding it to my to read again list. That is two books I have added today. Drat. Why is there not enough time in the day to do all the reading I want to do?

So many books, so little time.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I read it back in high school for a class, and I sort of liked it, but not as much as Tom Sawyer or To Kill a Mockingbird
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Post by NanoWasabi »

KEW wrote:It has been far too long since I read this book. I need to revisit it with the mindset of an adult, and perhaps reconnect with my younger self. I liked Huck so much more than Tom.

I am adding it to my to read again list. That is two books I have added today. Drat. Why is there not enough time in the day to do all the reading I want to do?

So many books, so little time.
I have to say that I liked Tom Sawyer better, but I can understand why you like Huck. He's just so likeable! I think that I want to read this book again as well, but I am getting a little busy with school and all...
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I read "Huckleberry Finn" when I was a child and I must say it was and still is a great story. I am now rereading it with my grandchildren and enjoying it as much as the first time. Great work and definitely a classic for all time.
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I read this in high school and found it extremely interesting how he concluded the story and how Huck had the internal battles that I'm sure people in that time and later felt. I would like to read this book again sometime in the near future.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

One of my absolute favorite books! I recently downloaded the free audiobook onto my iphone and i enjoyed it just as much as reading the book!
7Princess
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7princess.html

Post by 7Princess »

I enjoyed reading this book. The issue of 'what truly is the right thing to do' addressed in the book really got me thinking about the decisions I've made in my life.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I enjoyed this book. I think it isn't the best of Twain's work, but Huck was an enjoyable enough protagonist.

Did anyone else have to read it in high school?
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

Did anyone else read this to themselves in a southern accent? I found this book incredibly charming and full of adventure! Huckleberry Finn is a such a classic character, and I truly appreciated the appearances of Tom Sawyer. These two always bring a fair amount of mischief that is truly magical. This is truly an American Classic. 4/4 stars
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

My memories of this story are from the 5th grade when our teacher read the book to us a little bit every day in English class. She read it very dramatically and used different voices for each of the characters. I remember looking forward to what was going to happen in the story each day the teacher read it to us. I loved the story and the way the teacher read it. Ever since then, whenever I read a story to anyone, I try to read the story as dramatically as I can and my children have grown up with a love of books and reading.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
CNykile
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by CNykile »

I used to read and re-read Huck Finn as a child. I'm not sure what it was about the story but I always enjoyed it.
stormydesert
Favorite Author: Brandon Mull
Currently Reading: Don Quioxte
Bookshelf Size: 31
fav_author_id: 2410

Post by stormydesert »

I think I read that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was banned because adults were worried that kids would read it and see themselves as independent of adult authority.

Huckleberry Finn is a strange character because he is a child and an adult at the same time, like Calvin in the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. When the story requires it, he's clueless. When the story requires it, the author gives him the insight of an adult with a mature perspective.

I didn't like Huckleberry Finn the character because for me he's not relatable. He doesn't like book learning! We are made of different stuff.

I didn't like Huckleberry Finn the book because the ending gets hijacked by Tom Sawyer, who engages in all sorts of unnecessary nonsense before the loose plot ends are tied up. That's the part that I remembered reading in high school, twenty years later. Bleh.
21DenneyT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-21denneyt.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by 21DenneyT »

I read this in high school and loved it. Great book!
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I was introduced to this book by my English teacher all the way back in 5th grade. And what a blast it was! It gradually led the way for me to develop a liking for classics such as Heidi, Hunchback of Notre Dam and the Black Beauty.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book of the month”