Fight Club - Chapters 6-12 Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
LoveHatesYou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fight Club - Chapters 6-12 Discussion

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I have been sick- small seizures, and a nasty cold- but please continue without me, I will add little thoughts ans hopefully be back full force very soon.
IDEAS-
*Repressed self- major theme! Is it in everyone? I feel it is, and the narrator is just the extreme version of how most people feel- he breaks.
* Dark side- not darth vader dark- but noir in a sense. The FIght CLub for instance, the animalistic urge. What is this? "I felt like destroying something beautiful..."
*Double selves? Who is Tyler Durden?
*Who is Marla? What does she stand for?
*All the meetings, the AA, the NA, the need for them, it stops, why?* The escalation of the novel is peaking- wha tis the high point?

Please continue on- this book is full of things that can be easiliy missed- I look forward to reading what you guys see!
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Are the animalistic urges dark or evil? I think the members of Fight Club would consider so-called civilization as dark and evil. Throughout the book, it seems to call contemporary society/civilization meaningless. The participants of Fight Club look for their meaning and feeling of purpose elsewhere. They find it by embracing their apparent nature, which is animalistic.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
knightss

Post by knightss »

Borders has been out of this book for the last 2 weeks! i started reading it in borders and got about 8 chapters in.. i have to wait until they restock to buy it =(
Linda

Post by Linda »

yep i checked too and the library didn't have it...how is that even possible?
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Hey guys, I apologize for the MIA- I've been very sick- walking pnuemonia- and small seizures. I'm back but not really all with it. Is picking up at chapters 12-6 ok? I plan on posting Wed.-it'll give those who don't have the book a lil whilel to get hteir hands onm it and catch up, as well as any new readers a chance to read along-..

Good?

Derek- thanks for the well wishes- I do appreciate it.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
knightss

Post by knightss »

i was just worried =/ glad to see you're back though =)
jsavage

Post by jsavage »

Who is Marla? What does she stand for?
Marla is a tragic character who is both a source of annoyance and affection? for Tyler (and the narrator). The narrator feels that she already ruined the support groups he attends and when she starts showing up and spending time with Tyler, it's just too much.
Ever since college, I make friends. They get married. I lose friends.
He's afraid to lose Tyler (himself) in a relationship with Marla.
All the meetings, the AA, the NA, the need for them, it stops, why?
the narrator goes to the support groups to fill a void, to be with people who have actually "hit bottom" the place he never seems to be able to reach. fight club somehow fills this void for him as well, but in a very different way. it's the feeling of being a hero for a minute during your seemingly unimportant life where you work 9-5 sitting in a cube at a thankless job. the role you have outside of fight club becomes irrelevent when you're at fight club.
a couple of things that have not been touched on yet - Tyler burnes the narrator with the lye and tells him to focus on the pain because this is the greatest moment of your life. everything before and after this moment will just be a story. and also tells the narrator
"without death, pain or sacrifice, we would have nothing."
how does this unbearable pain change the narrator's life? he now has a scar that he'll carry forever as a reminder of what Tyler said and it seems to me that Tyler believes that fight club is not enough anymore, it needs to be kicked up a notch.

Another important thing going on, Tyler works as a "renegade" waiter at prominent hotel events and pees, sneezes, etc in rich people's food. Is this just another way he's getting back at society in general or the rich specifically? Again, is fight club not enough? The fight club mantra seems to be expanding into other realms. Where is this going?

that's all i have for now... :?

ps - also sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well... hope you're feeling better!
shortandskinny

Post by shortandskinny »

if you guys like fight club you should check out "superman had a handgun". its probably one of the best reads out there right now from a new author. google it, you'll love it
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

I seriously loved fight club, I picked it up from my local library and I finished it in one sitting, I definitely recommend it :)
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys

Post by Rizbi »

I love this book. Same as avid reader28, I finished it in one sitting. I was blown away by Chuck Palahniuk's clever and funny style. The movie is not too bad either.

I had another set of friends after reading read. My single-serving friends :)
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

The book was truly understanding and funny!
Happy reading and sorry for the illness!

Return to “Book of the month”