Discussion of The Stranger by Albert Camus

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Arsethuon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arsethuon.html

Re: Discussion of The Stranger by Albert Camus

Post by Arsethuon »

I read this book last year, it was one of the books I had to read for school and I never thought it can be a nice one. It's not very interesting to read, but it has a real story that amazed me. It's hard to understand because being indifferent about everything in your life, even for mother's death or killing, is not very understandable for normal people. Even in prison he was so indifferent that he didn't care about anything, he was just feeling more bored than in the normal times when he was free, he just never felt alive. On the end was the first time he felt like a human being and alive, but it was too late to change the past - this is actually what we all feel when consequences of our deeds come to us, but we don't always pay them with our lives. I suppose this is what this book was about, because I don't think someone can be sentenced to death for being indifferent on a funeral and for killing a single human.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

The stranger by Albert Camus is one of my favorite books, I read it from an early age and several times after that, I still enjoy it every time :)
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

It's a classic!
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
mauriziopietrantuono

Post by mauriziopietrantuono »

Loved it
chaseygatha1
Currently Reading: How to win friends and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaseygatha1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by chaseygatha1 »

The book is based on nihilsm. Let's hope that there is no one on this earth who has acquired this attitude to life. However, it does question some traditions that can be deemed unecessary. Why do we have to eat using plates, cups and spoons? Why can't we eat from the pot or tin? I don't think that those who are living in thr aftermath of natural disasters or wars would consider to lay the table... All they would want is food...
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

4 stars.

“Mother died today. Or maybe yesterday; I can't be sure.”
Camus killed me by this book.
Before reading this one, I read The Fall and The Plague. I loved both and enjoyed them. But The Stranger? It killed me and messed up with my life. The book is the epitome of existentialism bordering on nihilism. After this one, I never read anything else by Camus... it scares me to go back to that place again.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

i really enjoyed the book. i thought that the synopsis on the back was very accurate: a man faced with the absurd. i found it rather sad how the series of events played out. hes decided he wants to get married to this woman that he falls in love with rather quickly. and its crazy how quickly his personality changes. hes a harmless gentleman and then he kills a man for someone he barely knows! my english professor would call him a superbly complex character and i'd have to say i agree.
umm yeah i agree!
Nihal Krishnani

Post by Nihal Krishnani »

the stranger" by albert camus is a philosophical novel that follows the story of meursault, a detached and indifferent algerian man who is accused of murder and put on trial. the novel explores themes of existentialism, absurdism, and the meaninglessness of life.

camus' writing style is sparse and straightforward, reflecting the personality of meursault. the reader is given a glimpse into meursault's inner thoughts and emotions, but he remains an enigmatic character throughout the novel. the descriptions of the algerian landscape and culture are vivid and add depth to the story.

the novel raises important questions about the nature of morality and the justice system. meursault's lack of remorse and emotion is seen as a sign of guilt by the court, highlighting the subjective nature of justice. the absurdity of life is also explored through meursault's indifference to his own fate and the meaningless rituals that surround death.

overall, "the stranger" is a thought-provoking novel that challenges the reader's beliefs about the nature of existence and the meaning of

Return to “Book of the month”