Discuss The Captain's Daughter

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate The Captain's Daughter?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
29%
3 stars - good, recommend it
29%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
43%

Total votes: 7

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Discuss The Captain's Daughter

Post by Scott »

Please use this topic to discuss the November 2012 book of the month, The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin. Please wait until you have finished the book before reading this topic because this topic may contain spoilers.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I have to say that this book was okay...I finished it, so at least there is that. I think that it flew over a lot of things that could have been written in more detail, but this might just be how books of that time were written. I was happy in the end when Peter and Maria were able to be married. I do hope that some of the future books of the month will be more to my liking. :D
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
camilegordon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by camilegordon »

best book ever . . finished it in 2 evenings, cant recomend enough :)
emmawatson026

Post by emmawatson026 »

i also like this book very much
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

I still have to read this!! I've been so busy but I will be back to post my opinion!! Sounds like it will be good tho :)
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
jomarie

Post by jomarie »

I just finished The Captain's Daughter by Pushkin. When I started this book, I was a little nervous about Russian names and could I remember who was who. But I got into the story and never had a problem. Pushkin's descriptions and dialogue are wonderful. Thanks to those who nominated it for the November book. :lol:
jcitroen

Post by jcitroen »

I must admit I was a little disappointed. This book was my first introduction to Pushkin and the jury is still out on whether I will read another. It is an easily read simple Russian tale that was reasonably enjoyable but it is told without the richness that Tolstoy brings to his stories. Although Peter Andreitch, is undoubtedly noble in his sense of duty both towards the Empress and his love, Maria, the characters were never really developed and lacked depth. It's possible that they may come to life more with a second reading but I'm pretty sure I won't be making that effort for a while at least.
emmawatson026

Post by emmawatson026 »

Hi i am also read this book this is really good.
Diane B

Post by Diane B »

This was the first time reading Pushkin for me and I really enjoyed it. I was a little apprehensive about dated and hard-to-read language, but despite the 150+ years that have gone by since he wrote the story it was easy to follow. I really liked the way Pushkin can tell a good story, draw you in. All the historical stuff was interesting too - the way people lived and thought at that time. I got a book with several of Pushkin's short stories and read them all - very entertaining. Apparently his poetry is amazing. I think the story good and would recommend it. Thank you to all who recommended and voted for this book. So great to get ideas for good books from you all!
AlectMaster

Post by AlectMaster »

I read this one too. Great book.
iflowers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iflowers.html

Post by iflowers »

Pushkin is considered to be the father of Russian Literary Language. His best work (in my opinion) is Eugene Onegin. I like The Captain's Daughter, still I think it's valued mostly because it was a reflection of the historic period - a story about Yemelyan Pugachev who was pronounced an outlaw by the government. What Pushkin tried to show is that Yemelyan Pugachev was a human being and not the bloody murder as the government tried to paint him. He took from the rich and gave to the poor.
Williamz

Post by Williamz »

An epic novel spanning three generations and two continents, Leah Fleming's "The Captain's Daughter" has been meticulously researched and is beautifully written. Its unpretentious but lyrical style make it a joy to read. The storyline is plausible, where it could have been hackneyed, and despite it covering such a large time span the plot never loses momentum. Each character is carefully crafted and developed and the dialogue is realistic. It is a novel which could be enjoyed in one sitting. I read it over a period of weeks and never once lost its thread: a tribute, I think, to the style and great storytelling of this talented author. A thoroughly pleasurable read.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

A good book for fairly young readers. You may or may not like this book when reading it.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

iflowers wrote:Pushkin is considered to be the father of Russian Literary Language. His best work (in my opinion) is Eugene Onegin. I like The Captain's Daughter, still I think it's valued mostly because it was a reflection of the historic period - a story about Yemelyan Pugachev who was pronounced an outlaw by the government. What Pushkin tried to show is that Yemelyan Pugachev was a human being and not the bloody murder as the government tried to paint him. He took from the rich and gave to the poor.
Whatever can be said about Russian history and politics with them, I will always have a big fascination for the people and their culture, and how they made such an impact culturally as well.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

still have to read this!! I've been so busy but I will be back to post my opinion!! Sounds like it will be good!

Return to “Book of the month”