Discussion of Frankenstein

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate Frankenstein?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
9%
3 stars - good, recommend it
46%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
43%

Total votes: 54

Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Re: Discussion of Frankenstein

Post by Y0landa »

I had never considered reading "Frankenstein" when younger as Science fiction did not interest me, but I'm glad a friend recommended it to me. I decided to give it a read, and I was so surprisingly amazed. I loved the story! It wasn't what I was expecting as the Hollywood version is a far catch from the original. I felt sympathy for the creature that was created; it was all man's wrongdoing.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Y0landa wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 12:21 I had never considered reading "Frankenstein" when younger as Science fiction did not interest me, but I'm glad a friend recommended it to me. I decided to give it a read, and I was so surprisingly amazed. I loved the story! It wasn't what I was expecting as the Hollywood version is a far catch from the original. I felt sympathy for the creature that was created; it was all man's wrongdoing.
A lot of people are still surprised when they discover that the novel is not really the story of a monster like most movies. We got so used to watching movies that simplify the story that the book seems very different.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 02:58
Y0landa wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 12:21 I had never considered reading "Frankenstein" when younger as Science fiction did not interest me, but I'm glad a friend recommended it to me. I decided to give it a read, and I was so surprisingly amazed. I loved the story! It wasn't what I was expecting as the Hollywood version is a far catch from the original. I felt sympathy for the creature that was created; it was all man's wrongdoing.
A lot of people are still surprised when they discover that the novel is not really the story of a monster like most movies. We got so used to watching movies that simplify the story that the book seems very different.
Yes, that's exactly true! I would love to see a film on this book. I don't know if it exists already, but it could be very interesting to watch!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

Y0landa wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 14:37
NetMassimo wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 02:58
Yes, that's exactly true! I would love to see a film on this book. I don't know if it exists already, but it could be very interesting to watch!
I haven't seen all Frankenstein movies, so I don't know if there are any really faithful to the book.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nalani20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nalani20 »

Frankenstein was unique in that the there is multiple lessons that could be unfolded from the simple values and themes within this story. Throughout my time reading the book, I felt confused and unsure of where Shelley was going. By the end of the novel I had to sit back and just pause. I was amazed that someone so young could grasp something that could be applied to her current time period and years to come. The idea that man should be careful of the knowledge we gain for a monster could be created when we start to toy with things we can not fully control. Shelley amazed me with this story and I am so glad I got to read this.
Neptune_13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Neptune_13 »

I fell in love with this book in the first couple of pages. Victor's mind couldn't have been in the right place. To make a creature only to turn it down when it asks for a companion. It breaks my heart how Victor's action made so much damage. In the end, the creature was still human-ish, and had feelings. I can't bear to imagine how it felt all those times it got rejected because of his looks.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I love Frankenstein. I think it's such a well written story. I love how Shelley creates more sympathy for Adam (the monster). I always felt sorry for him because all he ever wanted to do was have friends and be accepted, but Frankenstein completely rejects him, despite having created him in the first place, which to me makes the doctor unlikable and the monster a victim. I also like how haunting the story is. Mary Shelley was such an interesting woman with an interesting group of friends which led to this story being created and I think it is a masterpiece. Although I don't recommend to those who struggle to read classic books as I found it quite hard going.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Frankenstein was not at all what I expected it to be, which is, of course, what most people say. One is tempted to point out the moral lesson to be learned - that the whole thing turned out badly because that is what happens when man tries to play God. On the one hand, it fits in nicely with the veneration of the "noble savage" which was a common theme of the romantic period, on the other hand, that is what happens when man oversteps his boundaries. But, if man (Dr. Frankenstein) was not overstepping his boundaries, and if he was equally as noble as the savage, then what was going on? I thought the book was rather gloomy! In movies, it is supposed to be scary or something, but the book was gloomy and kind of sad. Maybe I didn't read it right?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I think my favourite part of the book is the description of The monster. He is a far cry from Hollywood's man in green and actually seems far more gruesome. He has the appearance of a zombie torn apart and sewn back together. Tall with yellowed skin that doesn't disguise the arteries and veins underneath it. He has long hair and black lips and eyes that glow. I would love to see a version of Frankenstein as Shelley envisioned it. I think the monster was not necessarily evil, more like a naive over-grown toddler who has not yet learnt right from wrong nor his own strength. I pitied his existence.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

My interest in Frankenstein was piqued after I heard about it in a Parcast podcast. It was about the author Mary Shelley was constantly overshadowed by her wildly popular poet husband, PB Shelley! Additionally, as a student of science, the concept of the book, raising someone from dead even if as a theoretical concept is very enticing for me!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

As a fan of sci-fi, Frankenstein is definitely on top of my classical hits. Its nothing less than a masterpiece!
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I would love to see more
That's great!
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

Discussing Frankenstein is a great idea for a book. There are so many various paths you might pursue with it. The effects of playing God first.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book of the month”