Discussion of The Night Circus

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate The Night Circus?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
9%
3 stars - good, recommend it
20%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
69%

Total votes: 35

GABSTER
Currently Reading: Family Album
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabster.html

Re: Discussion of The Night Circus

Post by GABSTER » 16 Jan 2016, 09:43

This book is by far the best book I have read in the past 5 years. Morgenstern has a way with words that puts you directly into the scene. There were points of the book where her descriptions of the scenes made me feel as though I was actually there! The twists and turns in the plot keep you enthralled in the novel. Normally I don't choose novels with fantasy aspects such as magic or witchery but this novel makes all that seems so real and possible! Normally I gift out my books after purchasing and reading but this one I kept to reread next year!

Ahaneith
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahaneith.html
Latest Review: "Sunsets of Tulum" by Raymond Avery Bartlett

Post by Ahaneith » 09 Mar 2016, 16:49

I completely agree. By far one of my favorite books. How can someone not dive head first into the detail and imagery. One of those books to frame and cherish!!
Latest Review: "Sunsets of Tulum" by Raymond Avery Bartlett

BookishCoffeeBlog
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog » 10 Jun 2018, 03:39

This was such a lovely book. I read it a couple of years ago and I absolutely adored it. The writing style is so beautiful to read and the characters are super interesting. I am definitely putting this book on my reread list because I want to experience the magic all over again!

garima597
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 » 01 Aug 2018, 04:51

It is an amazing book which combines love and magic. The concept is new and extraordinary. I have absolutely loved it and immensely enjoyed reading it
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:

A_Wolfe
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by A_Wolfe » 15 Oct 2018, 20:38

I really can't say many negative things about The Night Circus. As potentially a depiction of a Rowling-esque interpretation of a fantasy/romance for young adults, I just enjoyed the pace and how illusory the characters felt at times. Celia Bowen, for example, never loses the luster of being the "child born with a gift that she can't see the significance of" arch-type, and yet you still feel like you're watching the ups and downs of her awareness play out by the chapter. You have a solid plot (and a challenging theme of a circus to keep engaging for the duration of the entire book), you have characters that come to life, and a palpable atmosphere whenever you know the circus is being brought back into the picture. Definitely recommended

Lucas_dd10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lucas_dd10 » 11 Nov 2018, 11:15

Scott wrote:
01 Sep 2012, 08:25
Please use this topic to discuss the September 2012 book of the month, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Please wait until you have finished the book to read this topic because this topic will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? What do you like most about it? Any favorite characters or passages?
Hi guys, I have a lot of question, can you help me ?

1) What does A.H clear up for us about the purpose of the game ?

2) What is the significance of the labyrinth, the uneven spot and the tear in the tent ?

3) What is in the bottles in Widget's tent ?

4) What does Chandresh find in Marco's office ?

5) What does Prospero do after Marco leaves Chandresh for the night ?

Return to “Book of the month”