Discussion of The Night Circus

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate The Night Circus?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
4%
2 stars - fair, okay
6%
3 stars - good, recommend it
20%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
70%

Total votes: 54

garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Discussion of The Night Circus

Post by garima597 »

It is an amazing book which combines love and magic. The concept is new and extraordinary. I have absolutely loved it and immensely enjoyed reading it
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

I really can't say many negative things about The Night Circus. As potentially a depiction of a Rowling-esque interpretation of a fantasy/romance for young adults, I just enjoyed the pace and how illusory the characters felt at times. Celia Bowen, for example, never loses the luster of being the "child born with a gift that she can't see the significance of" arch-type, and yet you still feel like you're watching the ups and downs of her awareness play out by the chapter. You have a solid plot (and a challenging theme of a circus to keep engaging for the duration of the entire book), you have characters that come to life, and a palpable atmosphere whenever you know the circus is being brought back into the picture. Definitely recommended
Lucas_dd10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lucas_dd10 »

Scott wrote: 01 Sep 2012, 08:25 Please use this topic to discuss the September 2012 book of the month, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Please wait until you have finished the book to read this topic because this topic will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? What do you like most about it? Any favorite characters or passages?
Hi guys, I have a lot of question, can you help me ?

1) What does A.H clear up for us about the purpose of the game ?

2) What is the significance of the labyrinth, the uneven spot and the tear in the tent ?

3) What is in the bottles in Widget's tent ?

4) What does Chandresh find in Marco's office ?

5) What does Prospero do after Marco leaves Chandresh for the night ?
Echelon Howell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Echelon Howell »

I absolutely loved this book! The imagery along with the storyline was so engaging I could not put it down! I’ve read multiple love stories where I knew where the plot was going to go but with this type of fantasy feel I felt almost surprised with how the story was progressing with Marco and Celia. The ending made me feel like I was encountering a happy blissful event only to be told that it was ending and it was so sad but surreal to feel the longing of wanting to go back into the ‘circus’ of the book.
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

One of my favorite books! After starting it, all I wanted to do was go to a circus, even if it wasn't as magical as the one in the story. The storyline was so imaginative and interesting. Some of my favorite characters in literature come from this book (Poppet and Widget). I would recommend this book to anyone.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I loved this book. I have been waiting forever for this book to be made into a movie. It has captivating characters and excellent dialogue. It has intrigue, panache, glamour, all rolled into one.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Claris L »

I enjoyed reading The Night Circus and the characters within them. I remember Bailey being one of my favourites, especially with what happened with him in the ending. I also enjoyed the visual imagery that this book created with every scene.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I absolutely loved this book, and devoured it in about a week. The imagery and descriptions are so vivid, the magic virtually flows off the pages! The character interactions are stunning. This is a thoroughly beautiful book!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by viviannganyi »

This book is really awesome, the author Erin Morgensten made me feel am part of the circus.
I really loved the immense imagery and the story building.
Celia is my favorite character. She is strong, beautiful, and talented in her abilities. She is also a major bookworm, and holds very high morals.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I am currently reading the Night Circus and I am really enjoying it so far. I like the way that the narrative is back and forth and changes the time that it is set in for each chapter. It's a really intriguing way of writing a book and I think it's really clever and I love it very much.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I enjoyed reading the book. My favourite character is Marco. He is a really strong character with a kind heart. He doesn't waver even when Celia doubts his feelings. I loved the writing style. It was enchanting and hypnotising. Even though it was slow-paced, it was one of my best reads ever.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 04:28 I absolutely loved this book, and devoured it in about a week. The imagery and descriptions are so vivid, the magic virtually flows off the pages! The character interactions are stunning. This is a thoroughly beautiful book!
I completely agree the book was very immersive. It was hard not to be sucked into the world. I have no trouble at all visualizing the settings or characters. I loved how original the story was.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Krishi Shah »

While I love the plot of the book and the magical writing, I unfortunately couldn't connect to the characters emotionally until the very end. I found that that dampened my reading experience. It's quite sad as I really wanted to fall in love with this book.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Krishi Shah »

While I enjoyed most main characters, I think the book focused on too many of their perspectives. Maybe if a few characters were focused upon, we could have felt more connected to them.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

What an interesting book!
I would love more!

Return to “Book of the month”