Discussion of The Night Circus

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate The Night Circus?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
4%
2 stars - fair, okay
6%
3 stars - good, recommend it
20%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
70%

Total votes: 54

jomarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Discussion of The Night Circus

Post by jomarie »

I enjoyed this book. I think that the reader needs to suspend all ideas of what is real and enjoy the "ride". But I did not enjoy the end. I felt as if I was lifted up and then dropped.
readingiso2forsoul

Post by readingiso2forsoul »

I wanted to finish it but I never got around to it. And that says a lot because I always keep reading even if not thrilled with a book. It just was dragging and the dialogue was stilted and I forgot to keep reading it. I will at some point go back and read the second half to be sure I didn't miss a gem that was just slow in the making. There is value in every written word for both the feelings they evoke in us and the ones they don't.
Schmunzelmonster

Post by Schmunzelmonster »

The book doesn´t hold up to the story that is described on it´s cover. When I started reading it, I expected a fast paced tale about two magicans who would outwit eachother to prove who is the best. Well, that´s not what I got. BUT I still loved it. I think it´s a beautiful written book in which the story takes a backseat to the atmosphere. I was enchanted by the circus and wish I could visit it. The only thing I am not happy with is Baileys introduction into the story. I felt it was kind off half-hearted or rushed. I was rooting for a more substantial ending. A more thorough storyline for him IMHO would have enabled that.

All in all I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is into magical stories. You need to be comfortable to let go of the concept of reality to enjoy this book.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I have never been fond of magic so I didn't expect to like the book...to my surprise I loved it! I am always amazed at the imagination of authors but this one went above and beyond. Some didn't like the love story init, but I felt it almost had to be a factor between a male and a female as competitors. I don't think it was an overwhelming part of the book. I was amazed at picturing the various tents described by the author so clearly. I would like to see the book made into a movie. It was an excellent read.
Meg_egg

Post by Meg_egg »

I highly enjoyed this book. It was hard to stay with it at times but once I got through those parts I couldn't wait to find out what tent at the circus was going to pop up next. I liked the relationship building between all that contributed to the circus in a way. I wish we would have been able to get to know the contributors a little more. The magic and fantasy was what kept me interested. I wanted to know more at every turn. I wish there would have been a little more to the ending. Something not so expected. Otherwise I would recommend it to someone who likes to read not to someone who wants to just read a book for fun.
joreasonable
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joreasonable.html
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter

Post by joreasonable »

I have just joined the group, so sorry for adding my opinion late on. I really enjoyed this book, one of the first I read on my new kindle, and I thought the idea was different (ok, the love story isn´t exactly new). It was a magical story,and with stunning descriptions. I recommend this book totally.
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter
Sophiebarta
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiebarta.html

Post by Sophiebarta »

I definitely was not instantly sucked into this book. For some reason it was really hard for me to get into this book. I did like the imagery of the circus.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I liked this book because I could see the rooms and imagine all the beautiful things they tried to create.
It is never to late to run away and join the circus!
Of course I really liked Water for Elephants, too.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Sarayan7

Post by Sarayan7 »

Transported me to a magical place. It was fast paced reading and yet it felt like a slow dance while reading... something wispy intangible... almost achy. I gave it to my niece afterward (she's 18). She loved it so much it inspired her to choreograph a dance with her friends at a college event drawing on some themes from here.
The book reminded me of the Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah.. where you 'meet' "real" magicians....
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Sarayan7 wrote:Transported me to a magical place. It was fast paced reading and yet it felt like a slow dance while reading... something wispy intangible... almost achy. I gave it to my niece afterward (she's 18). She loved it so much it inspired her to choreograph a dance with her friends at a college event drawing on some themes from here.
The book reminded me of the Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah.. where you 'meet' "real" magicians....
yes, it felt real, or at least parts of it did - but then I am one of those people who doesn't want to know how magicians do their tricks. We saw David Copperfield live once and he told about wanting to fly and then he flew and it was magical.
Their used to be an ice cream flavor called Summer's Dream that I thought was magical until someone told me it was just vanilla ice cream mixed with orange sherbert. I looked down at my spoon and suddenly that was all it was.

So anyway for what it is worth I like The Night Circus, at least the magical circus parts.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
winsuan

Post by winsuan »

I read this book several months ago, and it was a very interesting book. I appreciated the author's realistic portrayal of magic and the development of the individual characters. However, I did feel that the romance between the two main characters was weak and not quite believable.
trappa

Post by trappa »

I loved the book. The vivid descriptions of the circus were literally palpable. The eventual pairing of Celia and Marco was a little weak, i was a little underawed at how that particular part of the story finished but overall really enjoyable and highly recommended.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Even as a child I was never a great fan of the Circus so I held off reading this book for that reason. How wrong I was!
The Night Circus is a very entertaining read & cost me a right few hours sleep this week - always a good sign of a book IMO. The action in this book revolves around Le Cirque de Rêves, a travelling circus unlike any circus before or since. Arriving without fanfare, opening only from dusk to dawn & departing equally abruptly it moves between the major cities of the world at the end of the 1890s beginning of 1900s. Illusion, magic, fortune telling and usurption & bending of the laws of nature are the hallmarks of the performers of Le Cirque de Rêves but also amongst this community are two people whose purpose is to play out "a challenge". This challenge is a competition designed by two formidable and enigmatic magicians, Prospero The Enchanter and Mr A H (nobody seems able to remember his full name!)
Over the course of the book a love affair developes and the lovers find themselves in a quandry as their love clashes with the demands and the obligations of "the challenge".
I enjoyed this book a lot although I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. IMO the book lost momentum and to some extent petered out towards the end which was a great pity. However I enjoyed it a lot and, unlike some posters, I especially liked the way the book moved time lines - which I felt fitted in well with the shifting and illusory aspect of the circus itself - at times I really felt like a patron of Le Cirque de Rêves probably would feel. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the book and found it unique. loved the style, the prose, the gallery of characters, evertything. I could smell the caramel wafting in the air. A great book!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
booklover24

Post by booklover24 »

I thought the book was very good. I couldn't put it down at all. I just might look for it again just to read it again it was that great.

Return to “Book of the month”