Wicked ~ Final Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Wicked ~ Final Discussion

Post by Scott »

This is the discussion thread for Wicked by Gregory Maguire. D not read this thread until you have read the book because this thread will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? I like it. I like the idea of putting the well-known story of Dorothy and Oz into a new context, but I felt it was weakened by factual inconsistencies. For example, in this book the Witch and Dorothy did not meet until after Dorothy had seen the Wizard, but in the movie they had a few confrontations before that. I also had hoped the Witch would go even crazier at the end. Still, overall, I like the book.

In the first discussion, sleepydumpling pointed out to me that Frex had flirted with Turtle Heart. I'm glad she did because I later read about Frex talking about how he "loved" Turtle Heart. Do you think they had a sexual relationship? It seems to me that it is implied.

Speaking of odd sexual parts, what did you think of the Philosophy Club? I am correct that Tibbet was forced to have sex with a tiger, right? What do you think the point of the Philosophy Club was? I'm not sure.

I found it interesting that Elphaba is portrayed as somewhat of a failure.

The most major theme of the novel appeared to be the source and nature of evil. I feel that it was purposely ambiguous as to the source of evil. What do you think? The story also explores destiny, which makes one wonder how there can be evil if there is destiny. Can a person be evil if they are destined to perform the evil acts?

I'm not sure what the purpose was behind the Time Clock, Madame Morrible, the Yackle and the other supernatural forces. What do you think?

What parts of the novel did you found especially memorable?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
[email protected]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by [email protected] »

Sorry for the late reply...think there was something wrong with my internet connection because I could not get onto this site at all! I loved 'Wicked'...I really loved the idea of the one dimensional character of the Wicked Witch of the West having this full rounded personality and complex characteristics.

I think the bit that really made her come to life was her love affair...and the horrible tragic ending to that affair!!!

I am a little perplexed about how they have managed to turn this into a musical...but quite intrigued, would love to watch it!!!!
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

[email protected] wrote: I am a little perplexed about how they have managed to turn this into a musical...but quite intrigued, would love to watch it!!!!

SPOILER TO THE MUSICAL BELOW! DON'T READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO !!

but in case you want to know they made the ending to the musical a "happily ever after disney movie' kind of ending. :)
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Ahhhhh.....see, now, I'm even more intrigued!!!!!!

Will have to go and watch it!!! :D
ravinglunatic

Post by ravinglunatic »

Even though I wasn't apart of the group when you all read Wicked, I have read it. I have also read Son of a Witch, which is its companion piece. I believe the author is making a triliogy out of this. Some of your questions will be answered in the second book, not all though. I think that is where the second comes in. I recommend that those who truly enjoyed Wicked read Son of a Witch. It is quite interesting.
juanmacho33

Post by juanmacho33 »

I read this last year...I thought it was a whole lot of fun. I didn't realize Son of a Witch was out, too. Now I'll never finish The Brothers Karamazov.
plum

Post by plum »

Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

that is bad
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

is it?
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

i dont like it so much
VampirePoe
Currently Reading: Revising a novel

Post by VampirePoe »

It was an ok read, nothing grand.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

CassieXO wrote:
gelreynolds wrote: I am a little perplexed about how they have managed to turn this into a musical...but quite intrigued, would love to watch it!!!!
SPOILER TO THE MUSICAL BELOW! DON'T READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO !!

but in case you want to know they made the ending to the musical a "happily ever after disney movie' kind of ending. :)
I concur. They also tone down some of the more gruesome aspects of the book, e.g. Elpheba's parentage.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Ever since I watched the musical and fell in love with it, I have tried to read Wicked at least on 10 different occasions, but have never been able to get into it. I like that the book is a little darker and eerie in places than the musical, but I found the language to be confusing and a little difficult to understand. But the characters have these dark, odd dimensions--and everyone I know that has read the book has said they loved it, so I'll have to keep forcing myself to get through it.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

npandit wrote:Ever since I watched the musical and fell in love with it, I have tried to read Wicked at least on 10 different occasions, but have never been able to get into it. I like that the book is a little darker and eerie in places than the musical, but I found the language to be confusing and a little difficult to understand. But the characters have these dark, odd dimensions--and everyone I know that has read the book has said they loved it, so I'll have to keep forcing myself to get through it.

Same! I fell in love with the musical and immediately bought the book hoping for the same magic that comes from loving a movie and reading the book that is so much better. In the case of Wicked, that is far from the truth. The stories have very little in common, only the basic plot. I tried to read Wicked many times over many years. I finally did it last summer and I really had to force myself to get through it. It wasn't because the book was bad, it is just very dark and, for lack of a better word, strange. For some unidentifiable reason I just couldn't connect with it. Maybe I just love the musical too much?

There really are many questions left unanswered. Almost enough to make me read the next book, but I just couldn't force myself through another book the way I had to with Wicked.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

I totally loved this twist on a classic story. Elphaba now has her own story. It is definitely darker than the classic tale, but doesn't it have to be if it's about the wicked witch of the west? 3 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Book of the month”