Wicked ~ Final Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Re: Wicked ~ Final Discussion

Post by Amheiser »

I thought this was a very interesting story. I read it because I was interested in looking at the oz characters from a different perspective and learn how they came to be who they were. I haven't seen the musical but I hope to be able to soon. If the musical is as good as I've read in these posts, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I absolutly love the book. It's a work of art. It's my all time favourite book. I hate the wizard of oz but Wicked has made me rethink everything. Gregory Maguire made me fall in love with Elphaba (the wicked witch of the west). He put a new spin on a classic tail and its not the kinda thing you read and never touch again. I saw the musical and I am so excited for it to come out on dvd. I just hope Disney doesn't ruin it.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Fiyero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fiyero »

I just finished the book, and I absolutely loved it!

Some things that I have thought about after finishing:

The Wizard is, of course, from our world like Dorothy. From what Elphaba dreamed about him, you can gather that he was suicidal and was also discriminated against for being Irish. He was considered a low class citizen in our world, but in Oz he is revered and made ruler. I'm thinking that this is the reason he subjugated and enslaved the Animals. It was some strange form of revenge. Maybe if he hadn't have been suicidal and unstable, he would have been in a better state of mind, and he would have actually sympathized with the plight of the Animals for he had once been in a similar position as them.

As for the Philosophy Club, I'm not really sure how that is supposed to fit in with the themes of the story. The only connection it has to the plot is that it causes Tibbett to go delirious and eventually die at the nunnery place under Elphaba's care. But Tibbett was a pretty minor character so I'm not sure what the purpose this part of the story served.

I think that there was a sexual relationship between Frex and Turtle Heart. He speaks of Turtle Heart with the same kind of love he speaks of for Melena. He also is apparently aware of Melena and Turtle Heart's relationship and it only seems to make him love the both of them even more. There's no smoking gun of evidence, but since the author seems to be implying that there was something sexual going on between Frex and Turtle Heart, it's safe to assume that that's the way it was meant to be interpreted.

I actually don't mind the inconsistencies between the 1939 film and this book since I kind of see this book standing on its own.
Panthera_Pardus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Panthera_Pardus »

I have to say this is my first Maguire book.

I have read the book as an adult and found it to be phenomenal. The description of the images and how Shiz looked was so descriptive. I felt as if I was looking at the story in finite detail.

The description of the emotions were almost forced upon me so I could feel what the character was feeling. I felt almost enraged when the debate between Animal and animal went on. I felt defensive when people called the Animals, the one's with intelligence, to just be animals and shouldn't be allowed to speak.

I felt the love story was a little cliche. I was sad that he 'died' but, at that point he was no longer technically human. So I found it to be a little odd that she could be in love with a pile of straw. He didn't have a brain so how can he comprehend what love is or understand what love is.

I have since found myself reading more Maguire books. They are a bit wordy and intense in the descriptions.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I read Wicked a while back. What stuck with me was the story of Elphaba. I am not certain if the book is attempting to justify her actions as the wicked witch of the West or if it is simply saying that she was born evil right from the start. I found the odd sexual references out of place even though this book completely diverges from the Wizard of Oz in tone. I didn't really understand the love story and yet somehow the writing makes you pity the witch. Maguire succeeded in humanising the witch a bit and giving reasons for her actions, however justified or unjustified. Ultimately, I loved the book. I enjoyed the dark undertones and the quirky writing style with made-up names that were at times confusing. I enjoyed the imagined world. I enjoyed seeing her perspective, books that peek into the psychology of a character always intrigue me.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

totally loved this twist on a classic story. Elphaba now has her own story. It is definitely darker than the classic tale, but doesn't it have to be if it's about the wicked witch of the west?
And lovely read! Thanks

Return to “Book of the month”