Wicked ~ Part 1 - "Munchkinlanders"

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Wicked ~ Part 1 - "Munchkinlanders"

Post by Scott »

This is the first discussion for Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Do not read this thread until you have read the first part of the book. (The first part is titled Munchkinlanders.) If you have already read past the first part, please participate in this thread but do not discuss anything past the first part so you do not spoil it for anyone else. I'll start the discussion thread for the whole book next Sunday.

What do you think of the book so far? I like it. I did not realize it was going to start so early in Witch's life. I'm very curious to see what happens. I expect there is going to be some plot twists to make the development more interesting since we all know how she ends up.

What parts did you like? It surprised me when Elphaba bit that lady's finger off. I thought it was some type of hyperbole at first. I also like that Elphaba's first word was "horrors."

Please post any comments you have about the first part of the book.

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 15 Mar 2008, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
sleepydumpling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sleepydumpling »

I've read the whole book, so I guess my perceptions are coloured (no pun intended) by the whole story.

I too loved Elphaba's first word. It was just so perfect for the little green girl with the vicious teeth.

What do you think the creature was that she was sitting under the pier with? Between it's paws? Do you think this was any indication of her future?

Like Melena and Frex, I too fell in love with Turtle Heart, the Quadling glassblower. There was something gentle and simple about him, that I found intensely comforting while I was reading about all of the other complex characters.

I have so much more to discuss, but I'll leave that for a future post.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I like Turtle Heart too, but it's hard considering his and Melena's affair.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

What do you think his relationship with Frex was though?

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

sleepydumpling wrote:What do you think his relationship with Frex was though?
So far, it seems very friendly. He didn't have an affair with Frex too; did he?

sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Well what did you think of Frex flirting with him while they sat outside talking? Did you pick up on that?

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

sleepydumpling wrote:Well what did you think of Frex flirting with him while they sat outside talking? Did you pick up on that?
I didn't realize they were really flirting. I don't know what to think of that. I remember Nanny saying something about it, I think. I think she even called it flirting, but I had figured she was just joking.

sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I picked up on it, and at first I thought I was imagining it, but when I re-read that bit I was like... no... he is!

blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

sleepydumpling wrote:I picked up on it, and at first I thought I was imagining it, but when I re-read that bit I was like... no... he is!
I thought Turtle-Heart and Frex were getting it on...I assumed that Maguire was alluding to a type of 'Roman' philosophy where women, men, everyone loved love for what it was, and succumbed wherever necessary for the self, with whomever fulfilled that need - female or male or both or neither. I also think the 'subtlety' gave the impression of those clusters of sexual relationships existing in Oz as a type of underground thing - everyone knew it was happening but no one talked about it - they just did it. If you think about every character in the novel they have either a very firm grasp (almost Animalistic, you might say) on their sexual needs and habits or none at all.
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I agree A - it's like it was just a fact of life for some, and others just removed it from their lives.

sjenkins

Post by sjenkins »

I've seen the play and i LOVED it... I guess its time to break out the book.

Glad to hear its good.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I absolutly love the title of the munchkinlanders just stop and think about that for a second it's so funny. I feel bad for Elphaba. How would you feel if your mom planed of drowning you? I love how it shows where her fear of water comes from and why water distroys her.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I love the way Gregory Maguire describes Elphaba. It just makes her that much more of an underdog. Honestly, I find her cute with the pointed teeth and green skin. As for her first words... it gave me chills the first time I read it. Also, knowing the whole book, it makes perfect sense that "horrors" would be her first word. This story is so good; I can't get enough of it.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I love the way Gregory Maguire describes Elphaba. It just makes her that much more of an underdog. Honestly, I find her cute with the pointed teeth and green skin. As for her first words... it gave me chills the first time I read it.

Return to “Book of the month”