Mystery/Suspense Genre Discussion

For January 2016, we will be reading Mystery/Suspense books.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Mystery/Suspense Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

Mystery (also crime or detective) Genre is Defined as: a novel in which the protagonist's primary objective is to solve a puzzle or crime by ascertaining the truth through a combination of logic, observation, deduction, inference, or frankly, by sheer luck (humorous mystery :) ) It's usually a murder, but can be any kind of crime.

Suspense is defined as: a genre in which the feeling of pleasurable fascination and scrub excitement mixed with apprehension, tension, and anxiety developed from an unpredictable, mysterious, and/or rousing source of entertainment is triggered. Frequently preceded by an appropriate adjective (legal suspense/thriller, political suspense/thriller, etc.), the emphasis is often on action and suspense. The plot typically involves a hero and villain, with plenty of close calls before the hero prevails.

Here are the questions I thought we could discuss, but feel free to add some of your own to the discussion: What was the name of the book you read? How many stars would you give it and why? What genres (ex. Mystery, Adventure, Fantasy) would you say it fits? Based off what you read, how would you define Mystery or Suspense? How does your book fit in? What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre? Would you recommend the book?

There are no right or wrong answers. The goal here is to see what makes these genres these genres, what might be some of the appeal factors with relation to the books we've picked, and, overall, getting to know the genre more in-depth in a fun way.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read "Death in Kashmir" (Death in... #1) by M.M. Kaye. This was a fun, old-fashioned whodunit in the style of Agatha Christie. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. M.M. This book is one of six that Kaye wrote, and I plan to read the other ones as well. It is a blend of mystery, suspense and romance, and the best part is the setting. These books are very readable and interesting historically.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I would like to read the Martian by Andy Weir. From what I read in Amazon, it is a science fiction story about a man who is presumed to be dead and left on Mars by his team who returned to Earth. Somehow, he must find his own way back to Earth. This should be suspenseful enough to fall into January's category. Netflix shows the movie to be released in DVD form, sometime this February. This would have been a good candidate for December's read, but I'll just treat it as a suspense novel.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DennisK wrote:I would like to read the Martian by Andy Weir. From what I read in Amazon, it is a science fiction story about a man who is presumed to be dead and left on Mars by his team who returned to Earth. Somehow, he must find his own way back to Earth. This should be suspenseful enough to fall into January's category. Netflix shows the movie to be released in DVD form, sometime this February. This would have been a good candidate for December's read, but I'll just treat it as a suspense novel.
I've been meaning to read this for months...
Maybe now is the right time. Or soon. Or I might fall way behind and wind up missing this month entirely :(

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

DennisK wrote:I would like to read the Martian by Andy Weir. From what I read in Amazon, it is a science fiction story about a man who is presumed to be dead and left on Mars by his team who returned to Earth. Somehow, he must find his own way back to Earth. This should be suspenseful enough to fall into January's category. Netflix shows the movie to be released in DVD form, sometime this February. This would have been a good candidate for December's read, but I'll just treat it as a suspense novel.
I have read it and loved it!!! It is a great book and highly recommended. :)

-- January 13th, 2016, 7:14 am --
Graverobber wrote:
Maybe now is the right time. Or soon. Or I might fall way behind and wind up missing this month entirely :(
I think you will like it. :)

There is always next month. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Graverobber wrote:
Sometimes, life just seems to get in the way of reading! Hang in there, Graverobber.

-- 12 Jan 2016, 22:36 --
gali wrote:
I have read it and loved it!!! It is a great book and highly recommended. :)

-- January 13th, 2016, 7:14 am --

Then it is a done deal - got it loaded in my iPod, and it will be my next read.
brrr
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brrr.html

Post by brrr »

I personally like Dean Koontz for a suspense/horror (with mystery) writer. His books are suspenseful but tend to delve into the supernatural. A good book to start with for him is Door to December. I hope you enjoy!
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Dean Koontz freaks me out sometimes but I suppose that's what makes him an efficient writer. In regards to Murder-Mystery, I recently re-read (skimmed) some Mary Higgins Clark novels. I loved her when I was a teen but I realized that plots are really the same, with a few teaks here and there. It's kind of disappointing and I'd love to know the opinions of those who read serial mystery novels, like those written by J.D. Robbs.

I loved Agatha Christie because she really was unpredictable but that may have been due to times she lived in and the missing information that makes a crime easier to solve nowadays. I think I'll pick up one of her novels around the house again and comment on that once I finish reading.
kio

Post by kio »

For this month, I picked Sprinkled by Gina Lemanna:

After failing to follow in her mother’s stripper shoes, Lacey looked into her family history and discovered she was related to not only the mafia, but the boss himself. As the estranged granddaughter of Carlos Luzzi, Lacey wants to make her grandfather proud. For her first assignment, she’s asked to find Carlos’ large shipment of the “good stuff” that was stolen by the Russian Mafia. With the help of her ex-cop friend, Meg, her tech-wielding cousin, Clay, and her mysterious hot personal trainer/person on Carlos’ occasional payroll, Anthony, she tries to uncover the truth. Is the “good stuff” what Lacey thinks it is? Did the Russian Mafia really steal it? Will Lacey find her place at her grandfather’s heart or does she already have one?

I liked this book, because it was really funny and was easy to get drawn into. The characters were quirky, well-developed, and were easy to relate to. The plot was a humor/mystery crossover. Like other mystery books, she uses her knowledge of the mafia and deduction skills, as well as a few other people's skills to figure out her mystery's answer. Based off what I read, I would say mystery is where a problem presents itself to the main character that requires them to reach beyond or to stretch their natural abilities to fix it. It adds a level of suspense and intrigue that keeps the reader wanting to find out what happens next.

Overall, I think the story is worthy of a 5 out of 5 star rating. I think readers will enjoy the humor, the characters that draw you into the story, and the complexity of the story.

What do you like best about mysteries or suspense fiction? Is there anything you would change about the book you read?
gali

Post by gali »

First, they are fun.I like trying to figure out the puzzle. I also like suspense and the psychological aspect of it. A good mystery will keep the reader on his mental toes throughout the story.
A retired Admin/Mod

DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

kio wrote:For this month, I picked Sprinkled by Gina Lemanna:

After failing to follow in her mother’s stripper shoes, Lacey looked into her family history and discovered she was related to not only the mafia, but the boss himself. As the estranged granddaughter of Carlos Luzzi, Lacey wants to make her grandfather proud. For her first assignment, she’s asked to find Carlos’ large shipment of the “good stuff” that was stolen by the Russian Mafia. With the help of her ex-cop friend, Meg, her tech-wielding cousin, Clay, and her mysterious hot personal trainer/person on Carlos’ occasional payroll, Anthony, she tries to uncover the truth. Is the “good stuff” what Lacey thinks it is? Did the Russian Mafia really steal it? Will Lacey find her place at her grandfather’s heart or does she already have one?

I liked this book, because it was really funny and was easy to get drawn into. The characters were quirky, well-developed, and were easy to relate to. The plot was a humor/mystery crossover. Like other mystery books, she uses her knowledge of the mafia and deduction skills, as well as a few other people's skills to figure out her mystery's answer. Based off what I read, I would say mystery is where a problem presents itself to the main character that requires them to reach beyond or to stretch their natural abilities to fix it. It adds a level of suspense and intrigue that keeps the reader wanting to find out what happens next.

Overall, I think the story is worthy of a 5 out of 5 star rating. I think readers will enjoy the humor, the characters that draw you into the story, and the complexity of the story.

What do you like best about mysteries or suspense fiction? Is there anything you would change about the book you read?
That sound like a very cool set up. Thanks for the synopsis, I'll definitely check this one out!
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
dbryantsimmons
Currently Reading: Voyager
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by dbryantsimmons »

My favorite genre! Life or death stakes. Concrete beginning and ending. A good time in between the pages... The only drawback I've found is that these novels tend to be straightforward, if not forgettable. Reading them is not a life altering, soul shattering experience. I don't learn anything either about the world or people or myself. Some authors do bring something special to the table that elevates the story. I'm thinking of Walter Mosley here and how he infuses culture and symbolism into his mystery series. But overall, I'd like to see more books that are literary thrillers.
EvanCorneille1234
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by EvanCorneille1234 »

They are short stories, but has anyone read the Father Brown mysteries? They are much fun with a lot of philosophical and theological truth about them. There are a wide range of them with repeating and changing characters - some that grow and change from story to story so you get many different views of the topics. The lovable and humble Father Brown takes after Chesterton's wit and style of humorous approaches to life. Great read!
gali

Post by gali »

EvanCorneille1234 wrote:They are short stories, but has anyone read the Father Brown mysteries? They are much fun with a lot of philosophical and theological truth about them. There are a wide range of them with repeating and changing characters - some that grow and change from story to story so you get many different views of the topics. The lovable and humble Father Brown takes after Chesterton's wit and style of humorous approaches to life. Great read!
I have read a few of them and liked them.
A retired Admin/Mod

kio

Post by kio »

gali wrote:
EvanCorneille1234 wrote:They are short stories, but has anyone read the Father Brown mysteries? They are much fun with a lot of philosophical and theological truth about them. There are a wide range of them with repeating and changing characters - some that grow and change from story to story so you get many different views of the topics. The lovable and humble Father Brown takes after Chesterton's wit and style of humorous approaches to life. Great read!
I have read a few of them and liked them.
I haven't, but they sound intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion :)

-- 23 Jan 2016, 00:42 --
dbryantsimmons wrote:My favorite genre! Life or death stakes. Concrete beginning and ending. A good time in between the pages... The only drawback I've found is that these novels tend to be straightforward, if not forgettable. Reading them is not a life altering, soul shattering experience. I don't learn anything either about the world or people or myself. Some authors do bring something special to the table that elevates the story. I'm thinking of Walter Mosley here and how he infuses culture and symbolism into his mystery series. But overall, I'd like to see more books that are literary thrillers.
I have to say I wouldn't mind more character growth in more of them. In the Lacey Luzzi mysteries I read, the character experiences a lot of growth over the course of the series, but it's more subtle and you don't realize how much until you're almost to the 3 book. Have you tried Reed Arvin or Austin Aslan? They tend to have similar writing styles and fit the more "elevating" factor.

Return to “January 2016 Genre Discussion”