People treat you how you treat them?

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Re: People treat you how you treat them?

Post by Paliden »

tracy19 wrote:I totally agree with that sentiment. As the saying goes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
I agree. The "saying" is actually Scripture though. Lol! And it is very true. I have been in several circumstances where I was dealing with someone that was acting very rude. I continued to be respectful and courteous and after a bit, their whole attitude changed.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

I think that the idea that people will treat you how the treat them is a nice concept, but in reality, it's much too simple. No matter how many times I load my dish in the dishwasher when it isn't my dish night, my sister will always leave hers on the counter for someone else to pick up after her (simplified example, I know).

In reality, the bad guys win sometimes. I do agree that you should treat others how you would like to be treated, but rarely does this actually happen.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Paliden wrote:
tracy19 wrote:I totally agree with that sentiment. As the saying goes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
I agree. The "saying" is actually Scripture though. Lol! And it is very true. I have been in several circumstances where I was dealing with someone that was acting very rude. I continued to be respectful and courteous and after a bit, their whole attitude changed.
That verse is exactly what came to my mind also! And then reading your example the verse that came to mind was, "Do not repay evil for evil..."
Of course, people do not always change and some will still be rude and mistreat you regardless of how you respond, but at least having a proper response will keep you from becoming like that!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Scripture definitely has a lot of Godly wisdom in it! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote: Do you find this is also true in your experience? I do.
YES! I do!! I am going through this exact same kind of situation at work right now, training someone.... I actually really like this girl, but my boss didn't like her from the beginning and told me and the other trainers that she would be really hard to work with and might not be a good teacher. Yet... I've personally not seem any reason to think that she is not a good teacher. But another trainer went in and was like, looking for ways that she would fail... which in turn made the new girl super nervous and mess up more, thus fulfilling the prophesy that she is not good!

Wait, I think I might have just gone off on a tangent with my story, but I could relate so I just wanted to share. And vent. That's what book club is for, right? We can talk about how our own experiences relate to the books? Well, that's how I see it.

I didn't read this book, by the way. But I still get the point...
Mntgrl1969
Favorite Author: Patricia Cornwell
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mntgrl1969.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
Publishing Contest Votes: 12
fav_author_id: 2999

Post by Mntgrl1969 »

A smile gets a smile , a hug can heal a wound. Just being nice and kind can always help. Treating other as I would like to be treated though does not always benefit me of the other person. People are always in their own place, dealing with their own stuff and sometimes..they want to stay there. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

-- 27 Jan 2016, 10:07 --

A smile gets a smile , a hug can heal a wound. Just being nice and kind can always help. Treating other as I would like to be treated though does not always benefit me of the other person. People are always in their own place, dealing with their own stuff and sometimes..they want to stay there. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to try.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Scott wrote: Do you find this is also true in your experience? I do.
YES! I do!! I am going through this exact same kind of situation at work right now, training someone.... I actually really like this girl, but my boss didn't like her from the beginning and told me and the other trainers that she would be really hard to work with and might not be a good teacher. Yet... I've personally not seem any reason to think that she is not a good teacher. But another trainer went in and was like, looking for ways that she would fail... which in turn made the new girl super nervous and mess up more, thus fulfilling the prophesy that she is not good!

Wait, I think I might have just gone off on a tangent with my story, but I could relate so I just wanted to share. And vent. That's what book club is for, right? We can talk about how our own experiences relate to the books? Well, that's how I see it.

I didn't read this book, by the way. But I still get the point...
I've seen things like this before :(
Personal prejudices will almost always get in the way. I would love to be able to climb up on a soapbox and say I have none, but I do...we all do if we're honest. But I do try to remember to think past them, and even succeed sometimes :lol:

Actually...a book I read is one of the reasons I remember to see past it :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

If you treat people with respect and kindly in most cases you get the same treatment in return. However there are some people on this Earth who are so bitter and always think that the world is against them, you begin to wonder what the cause is of their negative behavior and why their need of treating people so badly.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

I think that people treating you how you treat them depends on where you live. I have lived in a big city and in a small town and I have noticed that in the big city people tended to treat me rudely no matter how I treated them, whereas in the small town people tended to be nice and polite no matter what.
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

I work with adults with special needs so I see on a regular basis how people can treat their fellow humans. It's the hard because even when people are being nice they try to treat my clients like children. I hate when someone acts like I'm a twelve year old just because I look young so I try to treat everyone with respect.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I'm curious to know what stereotypes waiters use when deciding whether someone will tip well or not. Anyway, I think the hardest thing is to bite one's tongue and be the bigger person when faced with a person who refuses to be 'as nice' as you are to them. Eventually, karma will come around to bite them, but it's still challenging to get to a state of mind where you can be nice to everyone regardless of how they treat you.

It would be interesting to reflect on your own life and look at all the good and bad things and assess, from them, that if it's due to something you are putting out there in the world; what is it? And how can you change it? Interesting discussion.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I really, truly do believe in the "people treat you as you treat them," although with the stipulations that it's not ALWAYS true and sometimes it takes a while. I'm a friendly, positive person and most people, even if they're rude or cold, eventually gain that positivity and kindness toward myself and others after enough time! :D
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Dyslexic-Superhero wrote:I hate when someone acts like I'm a twelve year old just because I look young so I try to treat everyone with respect.
:text-yeahthat:

I always enjoy how, somehow, height equates to age. Not to mention, as you said, looking younger than you are.
Nevermind you can be double the age you look, you're still treated like a "kid" even when people know your real age :laughing-rolling:

I agree with you 100%!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

I definitely see that in everyday life. I used to work as a cashier at Walmart...let's just say as far as treating people how you were treated can be seen very often. I try to treat others with respect and kindness but there are some people that either do not appreciate it either way (they tend to think they are above those who actual follow the rules of common decency) or just treat you like crap anyway. I try not to judge but man...it's unfortunate how many people actually tend to stereotype or criticize based upon what they see, not what they know. All in all, we should treat others how we would want to be treated, even though we may want to provide some backlash if we are treated poorly.

-- 28 Feb 2016, 16:34 --
Gravy wrote:
Dyslexic-Superhero wrote:I hate when someone acts like I'm a twelve year old just because I look young so I try to treat everyone with respect.
:text-yeahthat:

I always enjoy how, somehow, height equates to age. Not to mention, as you said, looking younger than you are.
Nevermind you can be double the age you look, you're still treated like a "kid" even when people know your real age :laughing-rolling:

I agree with you 100%!

Mmmmhmmmm, I know what you mean. I'm not short nor am I in my teens, but I know that people tend to dis on me when they find out I have depression or diabetes. They equate having a mental or physical illness as being different and then treat you like crap for it. It really hurts sometimes when someone finds out I have depression and then all of a sudden I'm sad all the time, or "Oh, you have a smile today. You're not depressed." Man it grinds on me...
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I agree with Scott; I don't think that saying is necessarily true. People who have had everything handed to them and have been treated well by others around them can be the rudest people you'll ever meet. People who have put down and treated badly by most people can be the kindest. I think the reason behind that is that when you have an understanding of what it's like to be mistreated, you're less likely to mistreat others. So I don't think people treat you like you treat them. I think the saying "treat others as you want to be treated" is truer.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”