Strengths and Weaknesses

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Re: Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by CzechTigg »

I really don't enjoy the phone, as I have a sometimes quite monotonous voice. Whereas in person, my body language and facial expressions allow me to relax and talk more interestingly.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

I definitely agree that strengths and weaknesses can be one in the same. My self confidence, for example, can be either a strength or a weakness depending on the situation.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I agree with you all that strengths and weaknesses are connected, and I think the trick is recognizing when you go too far in one direction and are no longer able to focus on the other side. take confidence and timidity, for example. It's great to find strength in your confidence, but it's also important to have a bit of humility and recognize your shortcomings, otherwise you'll become cocky and arrogant. I think people sort of have to find a balancing point or be willing to work on both qualities that seem to be at two ends of a spectrum. just food for thought...
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

I think it's absolutely possible! As I read the lists my mind went back to the questions you are asked at a job interview. "What is your strongest quality?" "What is your weakest quality?" For me, usually, the answers are one and the same. I think that everything we have - each trait that makes us who we are - has a pro and a con. In a different post, I mentioned that I worked at Walmart. One of my qualities is that the customer is always right and I will do anything to help them out. On one hand, it's a great quality. It means I'm willing to provide good customer service. On the other hand though, it isn't always appreciated and I find myself asking whether or not doing anything to help someone out is actually worth it. It makes you a bit of a pushover, and people definitely began to see that in me. Not an easy thing to think about. The fact that Mr. Newbery lists his strengths and weaknesses is really humbling and it definitely got the cogs in my mind to start turning about the more philosophical issues that something so simple as a list can actually hold.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I think this is such an interesting point and it reflects to be true for me. One of my biggest strengths in being a leader, being able to make people see my point and view even if they don't agree with me. However, one of my biggest weaknesses is that I hate attention and when I'm trying to prove a point and suddenly realise how much attention I have on me, I freeze up and get self-conscious and it's just terrible.
My weekend is all booked!
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

Wow...interesting. I have often thought that the two were isolated concepts and there was a fine line between strength and weaknesses. Now, I feel that this is a new way of looking at it. :eusa-think:
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I see this too. Characteristics and human nature factors are best in moderation, but often our qualities are a bit overpowering. Like someone who is generous - this is a good quality. But these people are often taken advantage of. My quality is that I am tenacious - which is good. But I've gotten to a point where I'm too much so, and I work too hard and it becomes aimless, its like a blind tenacity.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I do find that weaknesses can be reflected in one's strengths. I have found in multiple examples that my perfectionism (weakness) can drive me to accomplish more and in higher quality. Therefore, I am able to transform my weakness into my strengths, and I feel like that is applicable to multiple circumstances.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This is a eye opening concept and would totally agree with his ideology. One's weakest point or traits always, almost ,turns to be their greatest strength if worked on.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I think all traits could be seen as either a strength or a weakness, depending on the context. My trusting personality is a strength in healthy relationships (friendship, co-workers, romantic, or anything else), but a weakness in toxic ones.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

For sure I think this is true. It's when you are weak that you find strength. Its fact of life that I can't contradict.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I was surprised to find his list of strengths and weaknesses the same, I couldn't believe it in the beginning. But, after careful consideration it makes sense that strengths and weaknesses are two sides of the same coin. I think, moderation is the key - too much of something might not produce the desired effect.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

When I saw this scene, it kind of made me think of a scene from The Office where Michael Scott did the same thing but tried to play it off as an accident. Yet, the confidence that Jorge Newbery projects, works. Plus, He alters a few of his 10 points when he goes from strengths to weaknesses. And in looking at his points, I get the theme of taking a change and risk trusting others. It's a strength when you find the right person, but it's weakness if you rarely find someone worth giving the chance too.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Yes. I was so puzzled when I read it but the concept itself was so unique and when I actually reflected upon it, I have the same list for my strengths and weaknesses as well
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I thought his lists were very clever and very true. I think one of my strengths and weaknesses is that I am too optimistic. If I have a goal or need to take a risk, I am too optimistic about the outcome.

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”