Strengths and Weaknesses

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
CzechTigg
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Re: Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by CzechTigg » 24 Jan 2016, 10:51

I really don't enjoy the phone, as I have a sometimes quite monotonous voice. Whereas in person, my body language and facial expressions allow me to relax and talk more interestingly.

zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn » 25 Jan 2016, 12:40

I definitely agree that strengths and weaknesses can be one in the same. My self confidence, for example, can be either a strength or a weakness depending on the situation.

CCtheBrave
2017 Reading Goal: 24
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave » 15 Feb 2016, 00:13

I agree with you all that strengths and weaknesses are connected, and I think the trick is recognizing when you go too far in one direction and are no longer able to focus on the other side. take confidence and timidity, for example. It's great to find strength in your confidence, but it's also important to have a bit of humility and recognize your shortcomings, otherwise you'll become cocky and arrogant. I think people sort of have to find a balancing point or be willing to work on both qualities that seem to be at two ends of a spectrum. just food for thought...
read well and write bravely

HorrorFan87
2017 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 » 28 Feb 2016, 16:48

I think it's absolutely possible! As I read the lists my mind went back to the questions you are asked at a job interview. "What is your strongest quality?" "What is your weakest quality?" For me, usually, the answers are one and the same. I think that everything we have - each trait that makes us who we are - has a pro and a con. In a different post, I mentioned that I worked at Walmart. One of my qualities is that the customer is always right and I will do anything to help them out. On one hand, it's a great quality. It means I'm willing to provide good customer service. On the other hand though, it isn't always appreciated and I find myself asking whether or not doing anything to help someone out is actually worth it. It makes you a bit of a pushover, and people definitely began to see that in me. Not an easy thing to think about. The fact that Mr. Newbery lists his strengths and weaknesses is really humbling and it definitely got the cogs in my mind to start turning about the more philosophical issues that something so simple as a list can actually hold.

fari30
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 » 11 Aug 2016, 10:54

I think this is such an interesting point and it reflects to be true for me. One of my biggest strengths in being a leader, being able to make people see my point and view even if they don't agree with me. However, one of my biggest weaknesses is that I hate attention and when I'm trying to prove a point and suddenly realise how much attention I have on me, I freeze up and get self-conscious and it's just terrible.
My weekend is all booked!

Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Abiba Alice » 25 Jun 2018, 14:50

Wow...interesting. I have often thought that the two were isolated concepts and there was a fine line between strength and weaknesses. Now, I feel that this is a new way of looking at it. :eusa-think:

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”