Stepping Up the Ladder

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Re: Stepping Up the Ladder

Post by CzechTigg »

Paliden wrote:One thing that comes to mind is when I was about 15 or 16. I wanted a laptop so bad but my family couldn't afford one. So I saved me money from different jobs and bought my own. They were so much more expensive for a basic one back in those days. I was so proud of the fact that I had bought my own laptop. Although my dad was more proud of the fact than I was! :)
That's a nice story. Hopefully the jobs were at least enjoyable one day of the week, if no more!
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Scott wrote:I'm still in the present tense on this: I work hard on raising my two kids and trying to be as close to the role model they deserve as I can. :)

Great question!

As a brand new mother I can definitely relate to this one, Scott. I just gave birth to my first son last month and I'm working hard on trying to be the best mom I can be. Parenthood is a lot of hard work but I'm trying to give it my all.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Scott wrote: 28 Dec 2015, 11:47 I'm still in the present tense on this: I work hard on raising my two kids and trying to be as close to the role model they deserve as I can. :)

Great question!
Yes, this is exactly my thinking as well. If my kids turn out to be happy, confident and independent people who have always felt love in our family, then I have truly accomplished something.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

Having to learn English. That's one of the hardest things I've done. At the age of 14 my parents moved to Uganda from a swahili speaking country. All the schools in Uganda taught in English so, I had to work extra hard to learn and make sure to not repeat a class
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I know for a fact that it would be my school accomplishments and my GPA. I have worked extremely hard to achieve a 4.0, and it had taken a lot of work with my classes.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I have always dreamed of writing a book, but I keep putting it off. Well, reading and writting reviews here has refuelled me and soon I'll get there.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I am an athlete, and some days finishing a brutal workout feels like a huge accomplishment. But on a wider scope, winning my most recent title was a huge challenge that I had to work hard to overcome.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I could Write about this for ages but the one thing that excited me was saving for my university fee for two years.It needed much effort but I managed to attain the goal.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

I'm particularly proud of learning German from zero level to fluency in two years, which enabled me to get two university degrees in Germany.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

It was difficult to land projects when I started my business. I would pitch everyday to a new potential customer without any success. Patience, motivation, and determination was important. I kept up my efforts for weeks, months. Finally, I got my first big break and it has been good since then.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Getting an Eagle scout project done was my biggest achievement as a teenager. One look at the paper work that comes with it, and I was thinking: "Am I sure I want to do this?" In the end, it was great experience. I got to build a pavilion next to a garden for a church. It still stands, and it's neat to have a structure to look at and say: "I built that!" It took about 300 man hours to get done, so I greatly admire construction workers that have bigger projects on a daily basis.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think learning a new language has been the only thing I really worked hard for out of my own will, outside of stuff like academics which I worked hard for simply because I had to.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I am still in the process of working hard to achieve something. I am working towards buying a farm. I am hoping to have an organic u-pick berry farm. Even though there is going to be a lot of work involved, my passion for growing food is keeping me going!
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Being one of the high-level reviewers and contributing as much as I can is one of my topmost goal literary-wise. Besides I want to excel in my Engineering degree.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

katiesquilts wrote: 03 Jan 2016, 10:14 I can't even think of one thing that I worked on for a long time with satisfying results. I did handwrite a novel when I was in junior high, but going back and rereading it is way too embarrassing! :oops2:

I will say that the amount of debt I'm in from school is my biggest worry right now, especially since I only have one semester left. I feel like the day I make my last payment on those loans is going to be my "stepping up the ladder" moment! :lol: Especially since that day is far, far in the future haha
Ugh, student loan debts. I am still paying those off. I should finish the last payment in 18 months and when I do, I will be celebrating!!

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”