Your Own Burn Zones

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Your Own Burn Zones

Post by Taylor Razzani »

HorrorFan87 wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:Can burn zones have different levels of severity? I feel like I've gotten through certain burn zones in my life, but I might (hopefully) be on the verge of an even bigger one.
I think so. Honestly it's nice to know that someone else feels this way. I've had many burn zones that that been small, others that have been huge. I've gotten (or am getting) through them all, but I found myself wondering the same question. I'm hoping I can get through this next burn zone quickly and without too many scars...but it's pretty big.

-- 28 Feb 2016, 16:42 --

I have had many burn zones in my lifetime. However I think my biggest one that I have actually gotten through was being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 6. Having to grow up so incredibly fast and deal with being treated differently (I never felt like a normal kid) was so incredibly difficult. Once I reached my teens I finally crossed that burn zone and now everything is second nature and I don't even really think about it...but I remember at the time it seemed like it was something I could never face and defeat. I may still have the disease but it doesn't own me anymore. I own it.
I'm glad I'm not alone too! :) I think I need to sit down and write all of my personal ones and see how they vary.

That seems like a pretty big burn zone! Congratulations!
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
HorrorFan87 wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:Can burn zones have different levels of severity? I feel like I've gotten through certain burn zones in my life, but I might (hopefully) be on the verge of an even bigger one.
I think so. Honestly it's nice to know that someone else feels this way. I've had many burn zones that that been small, others that have been huge. I've gotten (or am getting) through them all, but I found myself wondering the same question. I'm hoping I can get through this next burn zone quickly and without too many scars...but it's pretty big.

-- 28 Feb 2016, 16:42 --

I have had many burn zones in my lifetime. However I think my biggest one that I have actually gotten through was being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 6. Having to grow up so incredibly fast and deal with being treated differently (I never felt like a normal kid) was so incredibly difficult. Once I reached my teens I finally crossed that burn zone and now everything is second nature and I don't even really think about it...but I remember at the time it seemed like it was something I could never face and defeat. I may still have the disease but it doesn't own me anymore. I own it.
I'm glad I'm not alone too! :) I think I need to sit down and write all of my personal ones and see how they vary.

That seems like a pretty big burn zone! Congratulations!

Thank you! I think the thing I loved about this book in particular was the fact that it made you realize your accomplishments. Whether or not you actually succeeded in what you were doing...it still made you stop to think about everything you had succeeded in in life. That is an amazing feeling and I can only imagine what other people have gained from reading this incredible story!
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I feel like some of the burn zones I have gone through are very much smaller and less severe than what some of the others here have gone through but when I did go through them, it was still hard and tears were shed. I can't decide if I'm dreading the burn zones that are still coming my way or am opening my arms for a challange.
My weekend is all booked!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

A burn zone that I have experienced recently was kayaking in open water for about 2 miles to a sand bar in Hawaii. Since the waves were really rough it took me a little over an hour to kayak to the sand bar. I had a vague idea of where the sand bar was and I had to trust the directions that the locals gave me. It might not seem difficult to kayak 2 miles but if you are kayaking alone with no idea where to go and with the knowledge that underneath you is a hammerhead nursery, you can see how nervous and terrified I was. I did end up making it to the sand bar and my arms were so tired but it was definitely worth the trip.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

literarycat wrote:I think I have had several different burn zones, but the one that was the biggest struggle, and still is, has been life after cancer. I was just out of college when I got diagnosed so internships and entry level positions were out of the questions. 2 years after when everything was over and life was getting back to normal I was no longer a recent graduate and there ineligible for a lot of positions so I just took jobs that came my way. Now 10 years later I'm still struggling but learned a lot of valuable things along the way. I think some burn zones last longer than others.

I have had many burn zones including taking care of family members as their health failed and they died (yes, that was plural). I completely agree that some burn zones last longer than others: my husband and I are dealing with lots of health issues from his deployments. My best friend was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and I still help her as she is trying to get back to normal but health problems from the cancer keep arising.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Interesting choice of naming these burn zones. I have had quite a few in my life, I usually call them milestones because they're very difficult to reach, but once you're there, the feeling of accomplishment is something else...
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Every one face hard times in their lives. I too had some turning points in my life that changed my life and i have learnt a lot from them. :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yogeshwariba
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogeshwariba.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Yogeshwariba »

burn zones : Jeorge.p.newberry
This book is autobiography of the writer. It is the story of a boy who is very hard working, honest and optimistic. He has everything in him which is needed for success.
Burn Zones is the perfect title for this book. Burn Zones of bicycle race and of life.
People who are looking for motivation and self development, this book is for you. As I am the one I want to compete this book.
I will give 4 star to the sample because I expect rest of the book will be as interesting as sample. Narration is good but could be better.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

I have had so many burn zones but my biggest was having to believe in myself. It didn't happen overnight. It took a lot of "i can do this", self encouragements and lots of prep talks but when I finally did, amazing things started to happen.
Yogeshwariba
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogeshwariba.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Yogeshwariba »

Yes, it always happens to me. I fail Bt I stand up again and fight and win, sometimes loose, Bt I keep on trying.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have experienced many burn zones ... being made redundant, losing a friend to cancer, losing my family home to debt, to name a few off the top of my head. But I am living such a charmed, fun-filled happy life with my husband sons that I feel blessed every day :)
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Greatest burn zone is trying to get this degree, seven years - going for eight. I'm not sure it's worth it.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

My burn zone is trying to get my physiotherapy degree. Its a four year degree and I'm currently on year 7!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Sadly I see burn zones every day at work. I cannot imagine dealing the some of the things my students have to deal with (mostly poverty). I feel like if I don't teach them and they don't get a scholarship or get a good grade on their ACT tests, it impacts their lives.....
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 11:46 Greatest burn zone is trying to get this degree, seven years - going for eight. I'm not sure it's worth it.
It's definitely worth it. Keep going. It might not (but most likely will) get you the pay increase or the promotion, or the knowledge, but it will certainly give you the feeling of accomplishment that only comes when you persevere through something challenging.

Keep going.

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”