Ask the Author ~ Jorge P. Newbery

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Re: Ask the Author ~ Jorge P. Newbery

Post by PashaRu »

Sounds like Mr. Newbury is on the side of the families, not the banks. Good job!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

PashaRu wrote:Sounds like Mr. Newbury is on the side of the families, not the banks. Good job!
I agree! And it's the main reason I look up to him quite a bit now after reading his book. If anyone hasn't read it, I definitely recommend it. It's one thing to be a talented businessman, but Jorge Newbery sticks his principles of being a nice person who helps people and manages to achieve the holy grail of doing well by doing good, a phrase that comes up several times in the book. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Sounds like Mr. Newbury is on the side of the families, not the banks. Good job!
Well said!

Sounds like a good book. Thank you Mr. Newbury for your insightful answers. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
eunice2868
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice2868.html

Post by eunice2868 »

Well done, Jorge!
The world needs authors like you that show kindness and love! ;) <3
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Scott wrote:
I agree! And it's the main reason I look up to him quite a bit now after reading his book. If anyone hasn't read it, I definitely recommend it. It's one thing to be a talented businessman, but Jorge Newbery sticks his principles of being a nice person who helps people and manages to achieve the holy grail of doing well by doing good, a phrase that comes up several times in the book. :)
The idea of doing well by doing good is one that all businessmen need! Politicians too! Come to think of it, everyone should have that mindset.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

I would like to ask Mr. Newbery if there is a particular struggle in his life that influenced him more than others. You write a lot about several life struggles and I know that they influenced you greatly but if you could pinpoint a single one that led to where your life is now, what would it be? Would it be the Woodland Meadows, or something different?

-- 28 Feb 2016, 17:03 --

And also, perhaps you have already answered this question and I just missed it...but through all of your trials and tribulations, what kept you going the most? I know that there are some things like family, religion, etc that tend to keep people going at their hardest times but you seemed to be driven by something much, much stronger. Was there another influence that kept you going more than another?
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Jorge P Newbery
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Burn Zones

Post by Jorge P Newbery »

My Woodland Meadows struggles had the greatest impact on where I am now.

My family and especially my parents have always been supportive, no matter what paths I have chosen. During my crisis, the drive to continue from optimism. Even on the worst days, I was convinced that my situation could only get better and that I would prevail. Instead, most of the time, my predicament worsened. Little by little, everything fell apart.

Disgraced ballplayer Jose Canseco described a similar experience:
"It’s like swimming in the ocean. Once you get out past 100 yards, it looks like 200 yards and the farther you swim the harder it is to get back to shore; you’re just swimming around forever and you can never reach the other side. The vastness just keeps expanding and expanding and expanding...it just becomes so overwhelming that you’re not even swimming anymore. You’re just underwater, sipping air—sipping life even—through a little straw that’s sticking through the surface. It’s the most frustrating, unnatural thing I’ve ever had to go through—constantly being suffocated, choked out, and wondering if I could survive until the next day..."

Although everyone in Columbus knew I had failed, I tried to keep the worst of the news of my parents. I remember that one day my cousin saw a news story about me being arrested and emailed it to my father asking "is everything OK with Jorge?". My father already knew I was experiencing some challenges, but I don't think he had heard the worst of it. He did not panic. Instead, he forwarded the email to me and asked if everything was OK. I told him I was handling it and the paper blew it out of proportion. Still, my heart sank once I read that email. Now, even my Dad heard the news that I was a failure.

Philosopher Alan Watts wrote a book in the 1950s called "The Wisdom of Insecurity". He described how self-sufficiency often comes from not having something solid or reliable -- of being insecure in that sense. It's in having nothing, or having lost everything like I did, that people find their way back to something. The same idea exists among recovered alcoholics and other substance abusers: addicts often won't begin to consider recovery until they've lost everything: family, home, job, friends. Once everything is gone, a person can rebuild - oftentimes stronger than before.

Writing Burn Zones was therapy for me. Today, instead of hoping people do not find out about my past challenges, I share them readily. When I speak nowadays, people from all walks of life often come up to me afterwards and share some challenges they have experienced or are experiencing. I think that the magnitude of my failures may provide comfort to people enduring their own burn zones.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I honestly have so many questions I would like to ask, but I primarily want to know how you found the will to keep fighting in the face of so many issues. I know I would not have had the determination to do so.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Mr. Newbery,

How much of a role do you think racism has in decisions regarding foreclosures, condemning buildings, and other housing issues? You touched on it briefly in your book, but I wanted to see if you think it is a common issue. Thank you!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I would like to ask what Mr. Newbery's all-time favourite book is?
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Me. Newbury, do you feel more young adults should stay home and save their money for a few years? Or do you have other thoughts on ideal way to grow up in your 20’s?
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I was just wondering, from the opinion of the author, what does he believe are his reasons for success in the beginning, and what does he believe was the cause of his apparent set back

Thanks so much
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Hi Mr. @Jorge P Newbery, I have just finished reading and reviewing your book. It's been quite inspirational to me, so I thank you for that. My question is: how has punk music influenced you during your adult life? Does it still hold a place in your heart and in your life? Thank you in advance!

Maria
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
KaylaPenner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylapenner.html
Latest Review: At the Mouth of a Cannon by Kevin Annett

Post by KaylaPenner »

Hello Jorge! I just finished reading your book two days ago and I loved it! For the past few years I have put reading on the back burner so I joined the Online Book Club in order to get back into reading. Your book was the first book that I have reviewed and I was more than impressed. Your book has inspired me to cherish my memories and to start writing down what happens in my day to day life. Did you ever keep a journal in order to better remember your life events? You wrote about your life in great detail and I would one day like to do the same so I am hoping that recording my life may make that possible. Thanks!
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

PashaRu wrote: 19 Jan 2016, 20:24 Sounds like Mr. Newbury is on the side of the families, not the banks. Good job!
And that's so rare! Most individuals with a higher net worth tend to be against the people. Mr. Newbury avoided the luxury trap like the plague, and seems to be constantly helping those who are struggling instead.

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”