Your Own Burn Zones

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Re: Your Own Burn Zones

Post by readerrihana »

Kishor Rao wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 13:09 One of the Burn Zones that I have faced is a college project which squeezed the juices out of me. It might seem a little childish or less of trouble that I'm mentioning an assignment, but it was pretty daunting and I had to keep my calm, work on it constantly and fortunately, I completed it.
Yes...to be honest I found most burn zones tended to occur in university and be study related
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

There have been so many that it is hard to put a finger on just one. Also, once over it, it becomes hard to scratch the dregs of memory (Honestly, it takes a lot of courage to openly discuss failures)
sam-4jesus+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-4jesus.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by sam-4jesus+ »

As for me, I have entered so many burn zone that it only takes strong determination to leave my burn zone, facing a lot of difficulties, also looking at those difficulties as if they will never end.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I think that we all have burn zones several times throughout our lives; trial is the only way you can really know how much you've grown. That being said, the hardest one I had to go through was definitely my medical internship. I remember back in the day they used to make me work shifts that lasted 36 hrs non stop where they didn't allow me to eat more than a couple bites hidden every now and then, let alone sleeping, that for three shifts per week with just a free weekend every month. And with no payment at all (Thank you, Mexican health system). Anyway, looking backwards, even if it probably was the hardest year of my life, and I wanted to quit every five minutes, it was worth it, and I would totally do it again if needed. I learned more about medicine and my patients than what I learned in five years of medicine school.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Accepting the fact that I was surrounded by people who were bringing me down and that they didn't have the best of intentions for me. Breaking my lifelong pattern of negativity and becoming mentally healthy slowly was the biggest of burn zone for me.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I would say that dealing with people and trying to understand them at times can be a burnxone...
But other than that I guess we may have been feeling with burn zones since we began to try and walk as babies and out mothers had to help pick us up and continue...
I guess these burn zones just got bigger and better as life goes on
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

My burn zone in life has thankfully not been too devastating. It was my internal battle with my self worth and subconscious 'Impostor Syndrome'. I had to get out of that rut and believe that I could make something of myself; have a goal and passion for my life.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

khaulah wrote: 11 May 2020, 18:48 Accepting the fact that I was surrounded by people who were bringing me down and that they didn't have the best of intentions for me. Breaking my lifelong pattern of negativity and becoming mentally healthy slowly was the biggest of burn zone for me.
I can relate to this. There was a period where I was surrounded by a group of people who made it their mission to bring me down. To ridicule my hobbies, like reading, and prevent me from chasing my dreams. For awhile, I thought something was wrong with me and then I took the courage to cut these people out. At that moment, I realized I was doing well all along. If you can block the negative Nancy's out of your life, it's the best. Miserable people will never be satisfied until others are on their level.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

The only really difficult time in recent memory is almost losing my mother after she had a stroke. I was going through school at the time and the fear of losing her petrified me for close to a year.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

The two biggest burn zones in my life were probably making it through my senior year of high school and getting over someone I had a crush on. Being so close to graduating without any motivation and with my friendships failing was so difficult for me. Thankfully, I got through that time and made new relationships. I needed that time in my life to ensure I was doing what I actually wanted to. Getting over my crush was also super painful, but I learned what I value in others and gained self-confidence. I could never write a book detailing these times in my life like Newbery did!
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

damis wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 16:44 I think that we all have burn zones several times throughout our lives; trial is the only way you can really know how much you've grown. That being said, the hardest one I had to go through was definitely my medical internship. I remember back in the day they used to make me work shifts that lasted 36 hrs non stop where they didn't allow me to eat more than a couple bites hidden every now and then, let alone sleeping, that for three shifts per week with just a free weekend every month. And with no payment at all (Thank you, Mexican health system). Anyway, looking backwards, even if it probably was the hardest year of my life, and I wanted to quit every five minutes, it was worth it, and I would totally do it again if needed. I learned more about medicine and my patients than what I learned in five years of medicine school.
Wow, your experience sounds crazy! I don't know if I'd have the strength for that. Exhaustion to me is such a huge obstacle to face. Which affected you more: the physical or psychological effects of sleep deprivation and hunger?
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 07:49
damis wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 16:44 I think that we all have burn zones several times throughout our lives; trial is the only way you can really know how much you've grown. That being said, the hardest one I had to go through was definitely my medical internship. I remember back in the day they used to make me work shifts that lasted 36 hrs non stop where they didn't allow me to eat more than a couple bites hidden every now and then, let alone sleeping, that for three shifts per week with just a free weekend every month. And with no payment at all (Thank you, Mexican health system). Anyway, looking backwards, even if it probably was the hardest year of my life, and I wanted to quit every five minutes, it was worth it, and I would totally do it again if needed. I learned more about medicine and my patients than what I learned in five years of medicine school.
Wow, your experience sounds crazy! I don't know if I'd have the strength for that. Exhaustion to me is such a huge obstacle to face. Which affected you more: the physical or psychological effects of sleep deprivation and hunger?
Probably the psychological, because I mean, obviously the physical needs drain you out. But at least for me, I often felt guilty for feeling them. Like "how could I keep thinking about a hamburger when my patient was in pain" or "why did I always have to get out running as soon as my shifts ended". It was an environment where you kinda sorta were seen by patients and their family as a bad person for thinking about your own needs when they needed your help, so I think that was the worst part of it all.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I have had a few in my life. I wouldn't feel as comfortable sharing them with strangers as Jorge was so willing to do. I do think that sharing them with people you are close to and how you have come through them can be a great testimony.
Bridget Ball 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-ball-1.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Bridget Ball 1 »

I have many burn zones in my life. One notable burn zone was when I became the first in the history of my company to become a dog groomer at the pet hotel franchise I worked for. It was challenging because no one had done it previously and it was a different entity to the pet salon also located within our store. Through a lot of trials and tribulations I became one of the most sought after dog groomers in our store and was an exclusive entity within it because the dog had to be a boarder or attending day camp to be booked with me that increased the company revenue.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I’ve experienced a few burn zones in my life. Definitely with COVID and working in a hospital, it was a non-stop burn zone to push through the chaos.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”