Books into Movies Genre Discussion

For December 2015, we will be reading Books Made Into Movies.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Books into Movies Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

This month's genre is fairly self-explanatory. It's any book that has been made into a movie. For extra, optional fun, and if you have time, try and watch a version of the movie as well (so you can compare :) )

Here are the questions I thought we could discuss, but feel free to add some of your own to the discussion: What was the name of the book you read? How many stars would you give it and why? What genres (ex. Historical and Fantasy) would you say it fits? How does it fit in those genres? What are some characteristics that you think drew movie makers to pick the book to be a movie? Were there certain scenes that you liked better on film than book (ex I liked the end scene from Breaking Dawn vol. 2 better, because you got to see what Alice was showing the Volturi.) Would you recommend the book?

For extra fun: Is there a book out there you wish they'd make into a movie? Why?

There are no right or wrong answers. The goal here is to see what makes these genres these genres, what might be some of the appeal factors with relation to the books we've picked, and, overall, getting to know the genre more in-depth in a fun way.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
angiemac
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by angiemac »

Divergent is a good series/movie example. I think the movies so far have been done well. They are close in comparison to the books.

Fifty Shades of Gray was a little disappointing as a movie. I felt I learned more about Christian from the books. This might have been a book to keep as a book.
Callie45
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callie45.html

Post by Callie45 »

The books/movies I chose are Hunger Games. I believe the genre would be futuristic/Holocaust. I chose it because this story touched me so deeply. Katniss' motivation, beginning to end, was protecting her little sister, Prim. There is no purer love then to offer your life in the service of a one you love. That fact that Prim died in front of Katniss at the end broke my heart and proved a tragic truth that most of us have a hard time grasping: No matter how hard you try or fight you are not in control and cannot always stop tragedy from happening. We are not really ever in control.

The fact that they device used to kill the children was an item they all knew and associated with only good things in the games was horrifically stunning to me. And treacherously devious. The only thing I liked better in the books then the movies was, of course and as always, the deeper detail of the books. Their are just so many things, like the Mutts in the 4th movie that attacked at the cornucopia and the description of their eyes. I loved Katniss' execution of the rebel leader (sorry can't remember her name) and the laughter of Snow as he realized although he was going to die, Katniss had seen the truth and served justice in the end, saving the new government from a president that would have been no better than Snow had been. A Kamiech, voting with Katniss' for a new hunger games; he didn't know what she was up to, but he backed her up because he knew there was no way she would be for a new set of hunger games and wanted her to have whatever the shot was she was after. In the end I felt a sad tinged peace for Petta and Katniss and their beautiful children. And justice was served
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read many books that were made into movies, but only watched the movies of Harry Potter. The books are much better, obviously, but I enjoyed the movies as well. The books were more detailed, many scenes were omitted, and they had a better character development. I loved the special effects in the movies.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I agree with you @gali. loved the Harry Potter books over the movies. My least favorite movie is my favorite book (Harry Potter #3) and my least favorite book is my favorite movie (Harry Potter #2). Go figure :) I think it come down to some of the best parts in the books don't translate well on to screen. I thought it was awesome, however, how well the description of the Dementor translated on to screen.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Gali, if you liked the Potter movies, you would love the books. Like you and Kio, I enjoyed the movies, but I prefer the books simply because I was able to stay in the adventure for a longer period of time. For me, the movies didn't detract from what I read in the books. When I finished the last book, I was sorry the adventure ended. That haunted feeling wasn't experienced with the last of the movies.
gali

Post by gali »

DennisK wrote:Gali, if you liked the Potter movies, you would love the books. Like you and Kio, I enjoyed the movies, but I prefer the books simply because I was able to stay in the adventure for a longer period of time. For me, the movies didn't detract from what I read in the books. When I finished the last book, I was sorry the adventure ended. That haunted feeling wasn't experienced with the last of the movies.
I have read the books first and loved them more than the movies. :)

-- December 9th, 2015, 6:28 am --
kio wrote:I agree with you @gali. loved the Harry Potter books over the movies. My least favorite movie is my favorite book (Harry Potter #3) and my least favorite book is my favorite movie (Harry Potter #2). Go figure :) I think it come down to some of the best parts in the books don't translate well on to screen. I thought it was awesome, however, how well the description of the Dementor translated on to screen.
:handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Sorry gali, one of these days, I will just have to brake down and learn to read.
gali

Post by gali »

DennisK wrote:Sorry gali, one of these days, I will just have to brake down and learn to read.
It's all right. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Ah, I couldn't read my genre book for November, but I will try my best for December! I plan to go with the Hunger games too, Mockingjay to be exact. I still haven't finished the series. To be honest, I don't like the style, but I do love the story and the characters. It is one of the rare cases where I like the movies better.

And with all the talking about Harry Potter, now I really want to reread it! :D I wrote to Santa to bring me for Christmas the illustarted edition of the first book... and I've been good all year, so pretty please :D
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
MgNell
Currently Reading: The Blackthorn Key
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgnell.html
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl

Post by MgNell »

I like the idea of Hunger games, perhaps i will follow it. But first i will read The Labyrinthe by James dashner and see the film.
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl
Sara MCR
Currently Reading: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-mcr.html

Post by Sara MCR »

I read About a Boy, The Neverending Story, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Percy Jackson, His Dark Materials, Coraline (I really adore Neil Gaiman :D ) and The Hunger Games
Wow! I didn't even know how many books that I've read had been made into movies! :o
I watched Harry Potter movies, and I thought "What are the books like if they are better?" And I got BLOWN AWAY :romance-heartbeating:
I still haven't read Tolkien's books and Millennium too. They are next :twisted:
Metomorpher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39907">The Bachman Books</a>
Currently Reading: The Sky Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metomorpher.html

Post by Metomorpher »

It is very easy to be disappointed by a page to screen adaptation but for this post I will play the devils advocate against my usual purist attitude. Firstly we must recognise that the mediums are both vastly different, meaning the director must use different tools to create the same mood for their audience. This means that the result is not only dependant on the director's interpretation of the material but their skill in translating that vision onto film. An example of a good adaptation is in my opinion Peter Jackson's interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. While to the purists eye there are many disparities between page and screen however, the respectful attitude with which the entire cast and crew treated the original material was such that I could be appeased by their reasons for deviation. If one is a die hard fan and find oneself disappointed by a film adaptation, I urge you to dig into behind the scenes interviews with the producers, directors and design team and see how the engaged critically with the material.

However, at the end of this process if you are still unsatisfied then feel free to indignantly rage to your freinds and on book forums ;)

P.S. Dumb casting choices are exempt from this process so by all means hate on them all you like.
lauraforever
Currently Reading: True detectives
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraforever.html

Post by lauraforever »

I would tend to agree that for the most part books that are turned into movies are a poor shadow of what the author wrote and intended for the reader to visualize. However, one series that I believe was brought to the big screen with the honesty and flair the author intended was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. (Drama and suspense perhaps?)

I read the books when they came out and when I heard they were going to be made into film I was skeptical about the quality that would result. The detail that the author put in, as well as the may sub stories and twists would, In my opinion, be impossible to show in a two hour film.

While I was still skeptical, I rented the movies and watched them with the 'you can't possibly be good' chip on my shoulder I had harbored since the beginning.

I was surprised to say the least. The atmosphere of the film, the characters, the storyline, each detailed flowed in the movie as if I was reading the script directly from the book. Yes there were things that were omitted, however, none of the things changed the overall feel or outcome of the story.

I will always feel that throught personal imagination a book can come alive in a way that a film can never present, but when it comes to times when they have tried, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was an incredibly accurate portrayal of what I feel the author was trying for.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I always find that the movies never really hit the mark because you miss out on the intricacies in the book that can only be hinted at in the movies such as the thought processes that the characters go through. I found this with Eragon. I loved the book and would recommend it, however the movie was such a let down after such promise. They cut too much out for the film, which meant important facts were missed out.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

Return to “December 2015 Genre Discussion”