Official Review: Timely Death by Scooter Reaser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Timely Death by Scooter Reaser

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Timely Death" by Scooter Reaser.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Timely Death by Scooter Reaser. This relatively short book caught my attention from page one and did not let go until I finished the epilogue. For the last several months, several of the wealthiest people in America have been murdered. Despite so many murders, the police have turned up no clues as to who is behind the attacks. Weapons left at the scene are untraceable. Only one very wealthy lady, Stormy, has miraculously survived multiple attacks on her life. While there are inconsistencies between Stormy and the murder victims, she is convinced that her life is in imminent danger. Desperate for answers as well as protection, she seeks out a lawyer-turned-recluse for help. The former lawyer, Ross, agrees to provide protection for Stormy. He also sets out to discover who is so bent on killing her and why.

Although the storyline primarily centers on Stormy, the majority of the narrative is told in first person through Ross. Ross effectively removes Stormy from civilization as he and his team search for answers. I can’t reveal much of their journey, as it would be impossible to not provide spoilers. However, I can definitely say this is an action-packed thriller with several plot twists. Whoever seeks to kill Stormy is clever and has seemingly endless resources. While I predicted some of the outcomes, I was definitely surprised in the end.

I feel that this author has a very balanced approach to writing. Violence is successfully kept to a minimum without gory details. I also think that the author did a nice job in hinting at a romance rather than allowing a minor side story to overshadow the main plot. Finally, I feel that the author provides the right amount of struggle while resolving conflicts.

While it does not seem to be the intent of the author to draw overly detailed characters, I found the character development to be adequate for a quick read such as this. I felt I knew the main characters well enough for the story to be propelled along to its conclusion. As is appropriate to this genre, the author keeps up a rapid pace from start to finish.

Overall, the book appears to have been professionally edited and is without noticeable errors. I am glad to rate this a solid 4 out of 4 stars. Timely Death contains an intriguing plot intertwined with political and social issues that are relevant to the 21st century. An epilogue serves to tie up all loose ends satisfactorily.

Timely Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It takes skill to write a well-written short story like this. Some that I've read just don't really feel like there was any substance. Glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:It takes skill to write a well-written short story like this. Some that I've read just don't really feel like there was any substance. Glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome! :)
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Great review. You have created a feeling of suspense through your review. I am definitely going to read this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
greenstripedgiraffe

The Researcher wrote:Great review. You have created a feeling of suspense through your review. I am definitely going to read this one.
Thanks!! :D
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I like that the author just 'hinted at a romance rather than allow a minor side story to overshadow the main plot.' I like a crime story with a little bit of romance. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Scooter Reaser on such an obviously well written book.
greenstripedgiraffe

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great read. I like that the author just 'hinted at a romance rather than allow a minor side story to overshadow the main plot.' I like a crime story with a little bit of romance. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Scooter Reaser on such an obviously well written book.
Thanks! I appreciate your comments. I also really liked the romance being a side issue! :lol:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a fan of thrillers and have a collection of books of my favorite authors. But I am in the lookout for new authors as I have practically read all the works of my favorites.

That's why this site is so great. I get to discover new books and authors and know which ones are good by checking the reviews. Thanks for the great review.
greenstripedgiraffe

Miriam Molina wrote:I am a fan of thrillers and have a collection of books of my favorite authors. But I am in the lookout for new authors as I have practically read all the works of my favorites.

That's why this site is so great. I get to discover new books and authors and know which ones are good by checking the reviews. Thanks for the great review.
You're welcome! :)
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I do love a good mystery/thriller, and I will surely give this short story a whirl, but I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of gory details. Great suspense stories don't necessarily need over-delineated scenes of horror, but I believe I've just come to expect these pieces in suspense novels, especially ones dealing with murder. But the short story still sounds rather great and I will enjoy it all the same.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
greenstripedgiraffe

Riki wrote:I do love a good mystery/thriller, and I will surely give this short story a whirl, but I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of gory details. Great suspense stories don't necessarily need over-delineated scenes of horror, but I believe I've just come to expect these pieces in suspense novels, especially ones dealing with murder. But the short story still sounds rather great and I will enjoy it all the same.
I think the lack of gore was especially refreshing for me :) but, I understand differing tastes :D
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I like such mysteries. From your review, this sounds like it will make a nice read. I would like to know who wanted Stormy dead. Nice review.
greenstripedgiraffe

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I like such mysteries. From your review, this sounds like it will make a nice read. I would like to know who wanted Stormy dead. Nice review.
Thanks! :oops: It was a pretty fun read!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Murder is a big puzzle in in every places, why? Always been a mystery but there is always a clue to unleash the story behind.

“It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed”
― Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! Stormy and Ross sure looks like well developed characters from your review. I am going to grab a copy of this novel. Plot also sounds intriguing.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”