Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

The Dream (spoilers)

Discuss the November 2015 book of the month, Ruby's Choice by D.F. Jones

Re: The Dream (spoilers)

Post Number:#16 by Scott
» 05 Dec 2015, 20:24

I agree with the others, first @"B3cca 3ll3r", that as a rule I don't care for the "and then they woke up" type of plot device.

I think it works at least arguably well in this story for two reasons.

1 - It isn't thrown in until the epilogue, so you can still appreciate the whole story without the dream twist. What's really usually annoying about the "and then they woke up" is it acts as a crucial part of the resolution of the conflict in the actual story arc. In other words, it becomes a cop out deus ex machina, which it wasn't in this story.

2 - Similarly, the fact that it was all a dream doesn't really change the story that much. This is because it's less of just a 'dream' and more of a premonition by someone who can see the future. While such premonitions allow Ruby to occasionally change the future, most of the events still come to pass exactly as 'dreamed' or to a similar result. In this way, the plot device behaves more like a time machine plot device in which Ruby goes back in time and slightly corrects some of her mistakes after having already made them in a context of still partial fatalism.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 202 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 19%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by gali
» 05 Dec 2015, 22:50

Scott wrote:I agree with the others, first @"B3cca 3ll3r", that as a rule I don't care for the "and then they woke up" type of plot device.

I think it works at least arguably well in this story for two reasons.

1 - It isn't thrown in until the epilogue, so you can still appreciate the whole story without the dream twist. What's really usually annoying about the "and then they woke up" is it acts as a crucial part of the resolution of the conflict in the actual story arc. In other words, it becomes a cop out deus ex machina, which it wasn't in this story.

2 - Similarly, the fact that it was all a dream doesn't really change the story that much. This is because it's less of just a 'dream' and more of a premonition by someone who can see the future. While such premonitions allow Ruby to occasionally change the future, most of the events still come to pass exactly as 'dreamed' or to a similar result. In this way, the plot device behaves more like a time machine plot device in which Ruby goes back in time and slightly corrects some of her mistakes after having already made them in a context of still partial fatalism.

:text-goodpost:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Played Post Office
Bookshelf Size: 1653 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 74%

Post Number:#18 by Christinar81
» 29 Dec 2015, 17:11

I generally don't like books or tv shows that use the "dream" ending but in this case I'm glad. I was a fan of Brent but the way he was portrayed with the jealous and possessiveness made him look bad. The dream reverses all that and enables him to become a good guy.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Christinar81's Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
Christinar81

Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#19 by Paliden
» 24 Jan 2016, 11:10

Generally speaking, I'm not fond of books or movies that end with it all being a dream. But in this case, the author managed to pull it off.
Paliden's Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Paliden

Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1024 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#20 by kimmyschemy06
» 03 Mar 2016, 08:00

I think it made the story more.. charming? After all, Ruby was the Dreamer..
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Men, Wars and Sex of the 60's
Bookshelf Size: 334 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 94%

Previous