Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

The Dream (spoilers)

Post by bluemel4 »

How did you feel about the end of the book revealing that it was all a dream?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock

Post by cranej80 »

It is kind of funny you ask this question. I must have been half asleep when I read the very end because I didn't even realize it was all a dream. I reread it this evening and it made a lot more sense. When I first finished the book I was thinking the ending was a little confusing. Didn't that just happen. I guess I can't read and sleep at the same time.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I am not the biggest fan of any book using "and then they woke up" as any kind of plot device in general. However, there are times when it can be super useful and it works really well.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I was not sure about that at first. Usually I don't like that kind of devices, but I agree it worked well in this case.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DFJones
Reading Device: 1400698987
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Ruby's Choice

Post by DFJones »

Ruby's prophetic dreams is thread throughout the book. The dreams are Ruby's Choice. Ruby has to make hard choices that she knows will alter lives, including her own.

Ruby's Choice isn't all a dream. Book two picks up where the epilogue ends. For example--the Bell Street house is where the girls really start talking about the cave, the stones and their powers. The wedding at Everglade Farms really happens on December 10th.

Life is wonderful and can be really hard. Life may change with a split second decision or incident and may alter a person's life forever. Ruby's dreams offer choices. For example: Her choices save Aunt Sammie and her unborn child. Ruby's prophetic dreams nips the game in the bud which saves Reed's and Brent's friendship.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

DFJones wrote:Ruby's prophetic dreams is thread throughout the book. The dreams are Ruby's Choice. Ruby has to make hard choices that she knows will alter lives, including her own.

Ruby's Choice isn't all a dream. Book two picks up where the epilogue ends. For example--the Bell Street house is where the girls really start talking about the cave, the stones and their powers. The wedding at Everglade Farms really happens on December 10th.

Life is wonderful and can be really hard. Life may change with a split second decision or incident and may alter a person's life forever. Ruby's dreams offer choices. For example: Her choices save Aunt Sammie and her unborn child. Ruby's prophetic dreams nips the game in the bud which saves Reed's and Brent's friendship.
The second book sounds very intriguing. :)

What I liked about the ending was that Ruby was able to save Aunt Sammie and her unborn child, and the friendship things. Ultimately, I liked the ending and thought it fit like a glove.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

DFJones wrote:Ruby's prophetic dreams is thread throughout the book. The dreams are Ruby's Choice. Ruby has to make hard choices that she knows will alter lives, including her own.

You are right @DFJones I did not include the important facts that the wedding still happened and that the women unlock their powers.

At first I was a bit upset about the dream sequence, but the more I thought about it the more I liked how it all came together. She ended up with the right man from the start and skipped a lot of bad decisions.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
DFJones
Reading Device: 1400698987
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Ruby's Choice

Post by DFJones »

bluemel4 wrote:

You are right @DFJones I did not include the important facts that the wedding still happened and that the women unlock their powers.

At first I was a bit upset about the dream sequence, but the more I thought about it the more I liked how it all came together. She ended up with the right man from the start and skipped a lot of bad decisions.
I'm so glad you liked how everything came together. Ruby's Choice places a seed of thought about life decisions. I've always wondered what it would be like to go back to a pivotal date in my life and change one decision. Would I make the same mistakes? Would I see it as an opportunity to better myself? Would I make the same choices? Every choice I make indirectly effects the lives of others.

One last little note, Ruby's prophetic dreams regarding a friend or a family member is a window of time where she tries to intervene to make a positive change in their life. In book two, Ruby is witness to a dream that she can't change, and even though she tries to intervene, those life events are predestined, and she has to watch helplessly as they unfold.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

I do not like the idea of reading a book or watching a movie, only to find out that it was all a dream. I am not fond of this concept. Although I must agree that this idea worked beautifully for this book.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I was confused, at first, by the ending. I had to read it a second time to get my "ah ha" moment. Although I usually don't like books or movies ending with the "all just a dream" trick, it actually fit this novel very well.
Madhu Sri
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-sri.html
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts

Post by Madhu Sri »

DFJones wrote:
bluemel4 wrote:

I'm so glad you liked how everything came together. Ruby's Choice places a seed of thought about life decisions. I've always wondered what it would be like to go back to a pivotal date in my life and change one decision. Would I make the same mistakes? Would I see it as an opportunity to better myself? Would I make the same choices? Every choice I make indirectly effects the lives of others.

One last little note, Ruby's prophetic dreams regarding a friend or a family member is a window of time where she tries to intervene to make a positive change in their life. In book two, Ruby is witness to a dream that she can't change, and even though she tries to intervene, those life events are predestined, and she has to watch helplessly as they unfold.
Very few people can pull off " and it was a dream " properly without confusing the readers. When I first read it , I compared it to the ending of the move inception . The difference is Ruby's choice was clearer than inception. I liked how everything fell in its place. Can't wait to read the second book
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I felt disappointed at first, but then I realized that it suited the book well.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I liked that it was a dream and felt it was done well. It was certainly a unique way to end the book. I loved the way Ruby, after seeing the premonitions, was able to save her aunt and her unborn child. It was touching that she decided not to stop her friend from marrying her husband, since she was able to see that her friend's daughter would be the best part of the life.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

If this would have been any other book with a different plot...maybe not...but she was a dreamer of the future...i think it kinda worked...
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I usually don't like books that say 'oh, and none of it actually happened', however, like others have said, I think it works well in this case. Especially since I don't really like the first part of the book. Knowing it was all a dream made me like the book more.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones”