Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: The Dream (spoilers)

Post by Scott »

I agree with the others, first @"B3cca 3ll3r", that as a rule I don't care for the "and then they woke up" type of plot device.

I think it works at least arguably well in this story for two reasons.

1 - It isn't thrown in until the epilogue, so you can still appreciate the whole story without the dream twist. What's really usually annoying about the "and then they woke up" is it acts as a crucial part of the resolution of the conflict in the actual story arc. In other words, it becomes a cop out deus ex machina, which it wasn't in this story.

2 - Similarly, the fact that it was all a dream doesn't really change the story that much. This is because it's less of just a 'dream' and more of a premonition by someone who can see the future. While such premonitions allow Ruby to occasionally change the future, most of the events still come to pass exactly as 'dreamed' or to a similar result. In this way, the plot device behaves more like a time machine plot device in which Ruby goes back in time and slightly corrects some of her mistakes after having already made them in a context of still partial fatalism.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:I agree with the others, first @"B3cca 3ll3r", that as a rule I don't care for the "and then they woke up" type of plot device.

I think it works at least arguably well in this story for two reasons.

1 - It isn't thrown in until the epilogue, so you can still appreciate the whole story without the dream twist. What's really usually annoying about the "and then they woke up" is it acts as a crucial part of the resolution of the conflict in the actual story arc. In other words, it becomes a cop out deus ex machina, which it wasn't in this story.

2 - Similarly, the fact that it was all a dream doesn't really change the story that much. This is because it's less of just a 'dream' and more of a premonition by someone who can see the future. While such premonitions allow Ruby to occasionally change the future, most of the events still come to pass exactly as 'dreamed' or to a similar result. In this way, the plot device behaves more like a time machine plot device in which Ruby goes back in time and slightly corrects some of her mistakes after having already made them in a context of still partial fatalism.
:text-goodpost:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I generally don't like books or tv shows that use the "dream" ending but in this case I'm glad. I was a fan of Brent but the way he was portrayed with the jealous and possessiveness made him look bad. The dream reverses all that and enables him to become a good guy.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Generally speaking, I'm not fond of books or movies that end with it all being a dream. But in this case, the author managed to pull it off.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I think it made the story more.. charming? After all, Ruby was the Dreamer..
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

"I should have expected that!" is what I thought. It kind of makes sense. I've only read this book once, very quickly, and so since the writer is being so accepting of twists along those lines - I wonder if it was a dream (or a series of dreams that came together at that moment), or a day dream (inspired by the guys entering the store? Inspired by the woman and her little girl entering the store?), of an hallucination, etc. Either way, I was not surprised. The alternate Ruby and Reed getting together was a bit unexpected. And, then of course, one has to wonder if the second interpretation of what's going on in the store was the dream. As in, Ruby made the first choice, and then went back and imagined a second scenario.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “"Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones”