Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Ask the Author ~ D.F. Jones

Post by Scott »

What would you ask D.F. Jones, the author of Ruby's Choice, if you could?

This question isn't just hypothetical. D.F. Jones is a member of this site! :D If there a lot of questions, maybe we can even see if Alynnpowers can turn them into an official interview. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

I'm interested to know what made the author set the book in the 1970s. I've not come across too many books recently that choose a modern past setting for a paranormal book.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the book and enjoyed reading it. How many books are planned for this series, and when is the second one coming out?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DFJones
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: 1400698987
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Ruby's Choice

Post by DFJones »

Aithne,
I love to read. Romance with paranormal and time travel are my favorites. I grew up in the seventies and constantly search for books set in the time period--I couldn't find any that flipped my switch. September 17, 2014, I began writing what would become Ruby's Choice. After developing creative ads for my clients for thirty years, writing this series fills my soul with much happiness. It fills me with light! ~D.F. Jones
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I loved reading this novel. The main character, Ruby, is so likeable and well crafted. Is she based on a real person? How much research went into the creation of this novel?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
DFJones

Post by DFJones »

Gali,

I'm so happy you love Ruby and her friends! I just finished the rough draft of Anna's Way. The story picks up where the epilogue of Ruby's Choice ends. The paranormal aspect picks up in the second and third books. I try to blend those aspects not to overwhelm, but to enhance the read.

The manuscript is currently with my two of my beta's before I send it to my editor later this month. I'm estimating Anna's Way to release in March 2016.

I'm writing a few scenes for Sandy's Story now. I'm trying not to get to far ahead until I receive the first pass from my editor. But, I do have a tentative storyline. I would love to have Sandy's Story out in time for summer reading.

I have an idea for one novella as a companion piece to the Ditch Lane Diaries once Sandy's Story is released. There could be spin offs if my readers want more stories. ;-)

~D.F. Jones

-- 08 Nov 2015, 18:07 --

bluemel4,

I loved your review!! I use it often. :-) It makes me so happy when a reader loves my book and my characters.

Ruby is fictional. But, I have a lifetime of experiences that I draw on for each character. And each character has a little piece of me in them. Now, Joseph Campbell and George Glenn have personality traits from two of my loved ones that have passed away--my grandfather and my brother. Those scenes were very emotional to write, but I made them live again through my characters. That was sweet!

I love research. I have a tentative outline when I write, but I write scene by scene. I have pages of scenes that never see the light of day. I research each scene to make sure it's authentic and true to the time period or the place in which the scene occurs. And if I miss something, my rockin' editor will catch it.

For example: the ambulance scene. I interviewed a physician, a paramedic and pulled documents from the AMA to make sure the protocol followed in the scene was true to 1977 medicine.
gali

Post by gali »

I am glad to hear it and wait forward to it. :)

I have posted my feeling about your book here. Good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DFJones

Post by DFJones »

Gali,
I love your review! Thank you so much for your kind words. ~ D.F. Jones
gali

Post by gali »

DFJones wrote:Gali,
I love your review! Thank you so much for your kind words. ~ D.F. Jones
Thank you and my pleasure. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

DFJones wrote:
bluemel4,

I loved your review!! I use it often. :-) It makes me so happy when a reader loves my book and my characters.

Ruby is fictional. But, I have a lifetime of experiences that I draw on for each character. And each character has a little piece of me in them. Now, Joseph Campbell and George Glenn have personality traits from two of my loved ones that have passed away--my grandfather and my brother. Those scenes were very emotional to write, but I made them live again through my characters. That was sweet!

I love research. I have a tentative outline when I write, but I write scene by scene. I have pages of scenes that never see the light of day. I research each scene to make sure it's authentic and true to the time period or the place in which the scene occurs. And if I miss something, my rockin' editor will catch it.

For example: the ambulance scene. I interviewed a physician, a paramedic and pulled documents from the AMA to make sure the protocol followed in the scene was true to 1977 medicine.
Thank you for writing such an awesome book! The high quality of the novel made it easy to write the review. :D

I am so glad you found a way to honor loved ones through your characters. That is a wonderful tribute. I could tell the book was well researched. Great job making it feel authentic to the time period.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I enjoyed the book very much and devoured it in a few hours. I felt that the descriptions of the surroundings were well written. What made you choose Tennessee for the setting of the story?
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
DFJones

Post by DFJones »

VinuW,
I’m so glad you enjoyed my book! I live in Tennessee and love it. A large part of the second book, Anna’s Way, takes place in Florida. What can I say--I’m a sucker for the south!
Here’s a couple of fun facts about Tennessee and Ruby’s Choice:
Everglade General Store and Post Office owned by Mr. Burns, in the story, was really my great- great grandfather and he eventually partnered with my great- grandfather, from 1865 to 1910. They also owned a lumber yard, saw mill, and blacksmith shop. It was known as the Burns Dynasty.
Campbell Ridge Cave: There are many caves in Tennessee. One of the most well-known caves in Middle Tennessee is Snail Shell Cave and it lies on an 88-acre preserve near Murfreesboro. I did go spelunking inside the cave many times during my college years. Inside, the cave has stalactites as large as pickup trucks which I reference in the story--and then some—alas, but no totem.
VinuW

Post by VinuW »

DFJones wrote:VinuW,
I’m so glad you enjoyed my book! I live in Tennessee and love it. A large part of the second book, Anna’s Way, takes place in Florida. What can I say--I’m a sucker for the south!
Here’s a couple of fun facts about Tennessee and Ruby’s Choice:
Everglade General Store and Post Office owned by Mr. Burns, in the story, was really my great- great grandfather and he eventually partnered with my great- grandfather, from 1865 to 1910. They also owned a lumber yard, saw mill, and blacksmith shop. It was known as the Burns Dynasty.
Campbell Ridge Cave: There are many caves in Tennessee. One of the most well-known caves in Middle Tennessee is Snail Shell Cave and it lies on an 88-acre preserve near Murfreesboro. I did go spelunking inside the cave many times during my college years. Inside, the cave has stalactites as large as pickup trucks which I reference in the story--and then some—alas, but no totem.
I can't wait to read the second book of the series! :D

I'd love to visit Murfreesboro one day, especially the Snail Shell Cave. It seems like a lovely place. Hopefully I would find a totem inside!
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
DFJones

Post by DFJones »

You will love the area. Murfreesboro is only thirty minutes from Nashville. If you search, Snail Shell Cave Preserve, you'll find some really cool photos. In 1999, the Southeastern Cave Conservancy purchased the cave. I never made it all the way through the cave, but my grandfather did. :-) D.J.
VinuW

Post by VinuW »

I did my research on Snail Shell Cave Preserve, and I do love to visit the area one day. :)

Return to “"Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones”