Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Overall Opinion of Ruby's Choice

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I have mixed feelings about this book. I pretty much didn't like the entire first half. I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me. I thought the characters acted very young for their age regarding their love lives. It felt like a mismatch of a young adult book for 14-15 year olds, but with some sexy scenes that would not be appropriate for that age group. In the first half, Ruby's friends are not well developed and the plot just seemed to be an immature love triangle where Ruby had no regard for either boy's feelings. Brent really cared for her and she seemed to be missing a sensitiviy chip in how she treated him. It seemed like Brent's character was written in such a way that the reader would feel, by default, Reed was the obvious choice. I personally liked Brent and felt he was treated poorly by Ruby. OK, I know they are not real people. :)

Now let's cut to the second half which saved the book for me. Anna and Sandy get fleshed out more and the dash of supernatural elements is excellently woven through the storyline. I was impressed with this and I don't even usually care for that kind of stuff. The car accident and its aftermath was written well and I loved the epilogue where everything is revealed. I would have liked the book more if the early chapters and graphic scenes were toned down and there was more about Anna and Sandy's lives. Overall I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
I agree the Tap It game was immature, but it was amusing to read how Ruby turned it around. I likes the two parts of the book, but agree that the second part was much more developed. I didn't like Brent at all due to his bouts of jealousy. Anyway, I am glad that you liked the book despite it all. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

Wow..that is all I have...!! I dont really prefer romantic genre....but this was a good book...loved its characters...n actually looking forward for the next book...!!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:I have mixed feelings about this book. I pretty much didn't like the entire first half. I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me. I thought the characters acted very young for their age regarding their love lives. It felt like a mismatch of a young adult book for 14-15 year olds, but with some sexy scenes that would not be appropriate for that age group. In the first half, Ruby's friends are not well developed and the plot just seemed to be an immature love triangle where Ruby had no regard for either boy's feelings. Brent really cared for her and she seemed to be missing a sensitiviy chip in how she treated him. It seemed like Brent's character was written in such a way that the reader would feel, by default, Reed was the obvious choice. I personally liked Brent and felt he was treated poorly by Ruby. OK, I know they are not real people. :)

Now let's cut to the second half which saved the book for me. Anna and Sandy get fleshed out more and the dash of supernatural elements is excellently woven through the storyline. I was impressed with this and I don't even usually care for that kind of stuff. The car accident and its aftermath was written well and I loved the epilogue where everything is revealed. I would have liked the book more if the early chapters and graphic scenes were toned down and there was more about Anna and Sandy's lives. Overall I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
I just finished this book and find that I have very similar feelings as yours, bookowlie. I wasn't a fan of the first part because of the immaturity level. But, I did like the second part because of the character development and focusing on Ruby's friends and powers more.

Although...I will say that I was more happy towards the end to find out that it was a dream and none of that really happened to Ruby. It helped her make her decision to be with Reed easier, which I think is great! Overall, a 3 out of 4 for me.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Overall, I like the book. I read it in just two days, so that must say something.
gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote: I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me.
I agree the Tap It game was immature, but it was amusing to read how Ruby turned it around. I likes the two parts of the book, but agree that the second part was much more developed. I didn't like Brent at all due to his bouts of jealousy. Anyway, I am glad that you liked the book despite it all. :)
I agree the Tap It game was immature, but I didn't hold that against the story. College-age kids are immature. Also, the game was more at the beginning, so I thought it fit with the coming of age aspect of the story. With that said, at times I did have difficulty putting a finger on the maturity level and thus over personality of some of the characters, especially in the first half, so I think I understand bookowlie's sentiment.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
CallMeMissEllis
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callmemissellis.html

Post by CallMeMissEllis »

Late to the party but really excited to read this, after reading everyone's feedback
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Momlovesbooks wrote:I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book at the beginning. I thought it would be a cave exploration/supernatural drama with young characters. I was hooked at the first and finished the book in a couple of days. It was entirely better than I expected. The characters were believable, with the brief supernatural elements woven throughout in a way that made sense. The ending threw me for a loop. I actually read the last chapter twice to make sure I understood what was happening! I can't wait to read the other books in this series. I rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

I completely agree I went into it not knowing how I would like it,and like everyone else I couldn't put it down. I want to read it again.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Overall. I'd rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really like the story and got into some of the supernatural elements. I would've liked a few more of these elements. I got sick of all the sex/making out scenes, however. They didn't always add to the plot and felt, oftentimes, just thrown in there. I did, though, like how Ruby was tough stuff and didn't put up with a lot of crap from other people.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

I love pretty much anything that has got to do with supernatural and I am guilty for loving love triangles, so this book appeals to me in a twisted way. However, it seems it's a romance novel as well and I don't sit well with romance... I'm thinking of maybe giving it a try due to the good reviews and rating this book has.
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think I put this on the 3-star shelf. It's hard for me to relate to Ruby because dreams seem to be so important to her and I hardly ever remember my dreams. It's interesting though. I would recommend this book - I'm not a huge fan of sex scenes in books but it isn't so offensive that I wouldn't recommend the book. I would have been more comfortable recommending this book to my own daughters, for instance, if there were not any sex scenes. But, I think they would still like it regardless. I liked the ending. Initially, I didn't care for the beginning and how it jumped to the scene in the store - I would like to explore caves so that is probably a personal thing.
The author does a nice job describing the women in the book and detailing their relationship. She also does a nice job keeping the supernatural characters distinct from the other characters, even though one would perhaps argue that a healer, and a clairvoyant would also be somewhat supernatural. It's a different level of supernatural, it seems. Overall it was a nice mix of friendship, relationships, supernatural occurrences, practical psychological issues with Reed and Brent and again, friendship. It was all put together fairly well considering how many different elements she managed to weave into the story. I like to write critical essays that propose and defend generally one point and so, it's hard for me to imagine combining so many different elements into a story.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Miranda Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-alex.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Miranda Alex »

I am incredibly astonished by how the author skillfully incorporated elements of the supernatural into a romantic tale and made them appear almost plausible (if you are open minded enough). only a little bit clearer than the movie Inception, in my opinion. Excellent work. I'm eager to see if D.F. Jones will write more.
Mikail Nurur-Rahman1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahman1.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Mikail Nurur-Rahman1 »

This was a quick read for me that I couldn't put down. When I started reading it, I thought it was going to be a boring book about a cave adventure. To my surprise it was a love story that has you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I loved the book and can't wait to read the next one!

Return to “"Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones”