Why Do Great Books Get Ignored?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Why Do Great Books Get Ignored?

Post by Lolo Skyooz » 20 May 2018, 21:12

I listen to lots of podcasts by authors who talk openly about their experiences with trying to sell their work and watching friends do the same, and while it seems there are many things that these, and other authors do to make sure people know what they're working with and that their books are available, still so many wonderful books just never get "discovered" by the mainstream. They say luck has an awful lot to do with it--luck and timing. But when I see a novel like Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends--a fantastic vampire book that's part of a series--get relatively ignored since it came out in the 90s, and even during the "vampire craze" of a few years ago, I have to wonder just how significant a role luck actually plays in the marketing and promotion process. Books just like this one, but less well-written, less funny, less everything, have sold like hotcakes, but still it seems like Moore's series never got the attention it logically should have. What are your experiences with luck in selling your books? Have you done literally everything you can to sell a work only to see it sit there for years? :eusa-think:

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by teacherjh » 20 May 2018, 23:05

following

love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks » 25 May 2018, 21:05

I haven't started selling books yet but I am planning to. I got some great tips from Smarshwords and I am planning to apply them when I begin making my book. Maybe authors just jump into publishing without really understanding the whole process and are not able to identify their niche yet that is why some great books just get ignored.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”