Is self -publishing smart?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
cluznar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is self -publishing smart?

Post by cluznar »

Self Publishing is a great opportunity for many writers.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Renee24 wrote:I"m writing a novel too, and been reading a lot of books about this topic. They say first time writers can't get into the door, so how do you get in the door, unless you self publish? I think they said something about a platform too, so you need to be out there with a blog and such. What about the new Amazon Kindle publishing, that is free, and might be a good way to at least get your foot in the door, so to speak? Then you can work on your next novel and find ways of getting yourself noticed.
Good luck!
Renee

KDP isn't new and has been around for probably eight years at least. A lot of self-published authors started in 2010 and earlier. I would recommend trying out for Kindle Scout. Not many books make it through the door, but when they do it is incredible for sales and visibility in ways you can't do on your own. It isn't traditional publishing, nor indie, but sort of a cross of both.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Well, I can only comment on the business side. If this would include funding. If the fund is enough then go to a Publisher. But there's a possibility for some changes. I wrote my first book already. Written almost two years ago. But because of lack of funding, then some author suggest me to Self Publish "FIRST" your book that use PUBLISHING COMPANY. Maybe I would follow their suggestion. I will use SOCIAL SITE to SELF PUBLISH.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

I have been trying for a year to get my novel published, either through an agent or just dealing with a smaller publisher. So far no luck at all. In retrospect, my non-fiction book, which I got published in 2013, was much much easier. I am really hesitant to go Amazon or B&N Nook because I want to find someone who is willing to take a chance on me. Once it's printed I don't know how much help Amazon or B&N would be....
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I'm been wondering about the business model for Kindle Unlimited and its books. I've noticed that a lot of the books I get on there are self-published--do those authors get any money from Amazon for the downloads? Or do authors give the rights to Amazon in order to promote name recognition?
KendallGray

Post by KendallGray »

Self-Publishing has its pros and cons: thus the obvious, going through the editing process and providing a book to the public that you feel confident about without all of the repercussions and concern of someone rejecting your creation, due to their "professional outlook". However, when you self-publish, a lot of the time you have to do the promoting all on your own. And that can be a monumental hassle, when seeking success with your story.
BenZ2018

Post by BenZ2018 »

I have published my own book through Kindle/Amazon. It's a good feeling having a short book out there, but I haven't tried marketing it at all, until now of course, through onlinebookclub.

I think we live in a time where self-published books are as accepted as ever. But in my opinion, nothing would be more rewarding than being picked up by an agent or big publisher. That being said, self-publishing offers at least a little bit of reward by some readership and also offers some learning opportunities as far as publishing, editing marketing and what not.

I'm excited to receive my first review, although it sounds like it might take months. My book is average length by e-book standards and short by regular paper book standards. I'm very curious to see if a review or this light marketing has any effect on it's popularity, I hope it does! In the meantime I'm working on three longer books! One in particular is moving along, I hope to finish the first draft in a few months.

]
KTschirhart wrote: 17 Jan 2017, 18:38 I'm currently looking into writing and publishing my own book, personally I find it more rewarding to have control and a part in every step of the process.
Hraynyk123

Post by Hraynyk123 »

Back in July I finally finished and self published my first Sci-fi novel which is the first of a three book series I am developing. I have never done this before but did it through Smashwords. It was easy and I had a lot information on what to do with formatting and getting right to be accepted. I like it because I have total control over it right now. Yes I want to be able to sell a lot of it, but I'm in a situation with a new baby and obligations. But right now its published and online. I will have the money to develop my marketing in another month and my first review is coming through the book club. I'm also working on promoting at Atlanta's Dragoncon. I have a lot of work to do myself, but as the second and third book get done, I plan to have more time for it. I'm learning as I go, but I'm happy I decided to self publish. I believe in my idea and my book.

Believe in what you create and put it out there. No one can take that from you.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'm currently writing my first book and I'm undergoing the same mind process. Do I self publish or do I try with something more engaged? I think I'll opt for the first one, mainly because of finances, but I'm not quite sure yet.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
AtE MacCheeSe83

Post by AtE MacCheeSe83 »

Hi, I am writing my first children's book. As a aspiring self-publisher it is quite a process to produce a marketable book. Also, l enjoy romance novels. I hope to have a successful journey on completing the project. I am open to positive suggestions and marketing tips?
Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

I just finished self-publishing my second novel through createspace. I didn't need any of their services (editing, design) so it was all free with the exception of giving it my time. The only cost was that I chose to buy my own ISBNs from Bowker. I like that createspace can get me distributed through amazon, b&n, and other online retailers and I've found it extremely easy to figure out, so for that reason it has been a very rewarding experience.

With that said, it is hard doing all the marketing on your own. I tried to get an agent for my first novel but I was repeatedly told my content was "too controversial" and that it didn't have a specific audience (too secular for the christian market, too christian for the secular market). Given that they enjoyed the book but didn't feel confident to market it, I decided it was worth putting the time into self-publishing.

There is nothing more satisfying than holding your book in paperback (in my opinion, of course) and I didn't need a publishing company to do it. Nook and Kindle allow me to make it available in e-book as well, so I can reach even more readers. Even though marketing is a lot of work and takes a lot of time, and does eventually cost some money (I've been wavering on submitting for a review through this website but I'm not a fan of their faq section; honestly it comes off a bit harsh in tone. That doesn't make me want to do business with them, regardless of results.) it is well worth it in the end to know you took action on something you believed in.

So for anyone who decides to search for an agency and gets discouraged because it doesn't pan out, know that you have alternatives and it only requires you to have faith in yourself!!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Ami_Violet wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 19:03 I just finished self-publishing my second novel through createspace. I didn't need any of their services (editing, design) so it was all free with the exception of giving it my time. The only cost was that I chose to buy my own ISBNs from Bowker. I like that createspace can get me distributed through amazon, b&n, and other online retailers and I've found it extremely easy to figure out, so for that reason it has been a very rewarding experience.
I just looked at Createspace and it looks like an amazing service! Thank you for the input!
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:37 I just looked at Createspace and it looks like an amazing service! Thank you for the input!
You're very welcome! Also their client service is quick to respond to any questions you might have (as with any company sometimes they can't solve your issues, but they genuinely try) and another upside is you can buy copies of your book at a cheaper price than most. Even basic shipping is fast - when I ordered my proofs they would arrive in 3-4 days. And they have so many resources and info to check out, it's all been very thorough and easy for me to work with. So, yes, highly recommend!!
RicReviews

Post by RicReviews »

Yes, definitely.
But are you talking of paperback or digital?
Paperback is not smart, unless you have tons of moolah.
It's not just about publishing, that is only the first step.
The main process begins after you've published your book.
You have to market it.
If you cannot market your book, no sense in publishing it.
If you do publish it, make sure you get your marketing strategy right.
Regards. :)
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

I have read so much about this recently as I attempt to self publish my first book that my head is spinning. Can someone just give me a straight answer? Is it worth it. Is the marketing exhausting? I am feeling it already and I haven't even hit publish yet.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”