Literary Agent or No Literary Agent?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Literary Agent or No Literary Agent?

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

So the topic subject is pretty self explanatory.

I am an aspiring author, I submitted my first manuscript traditionally a little over two months ago. Doing research, it seems like it is easier to go through a literary agent than not. My question is, what would you recommend? Looking back, I feel like I should have waited to submit my manuscript and sought out a literary agent first. I know I can do it now, and as I said I am looking but I am also looking for thoughts!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I'm not sure either way is easy. My sister wrote a wonderful novel and started looking for a literary agent several years ago, and so far it hasn't been helpful--she rarely gets a response from someone she has contacted. Currently she's writing another book and thinking about self publishing. She did a lot of research, too. If you haven't connected with the Poets and Writers web site (or magazines), you might want to check those. They give a lot of information--a LOT.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I know it isn't easy! I submitted to Avon Romance on my own but I'm not counting on getting it. I have a coiple friends in the author track. One prefers not having one and the author has one and wouldn't so it any other way. I have looked at self publishing but the exorbitant amount of fees that go into I just can't afford. I will have to look into the Writers and Poets.

Thank you!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Good luck! I have to laugh--I used to think that writing was the hardest part itself. Now I'm pretty sure there is no easy part!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you! I have been keeping a mind set of "I will get published". There zure isn't. I think the writing is the easiest part especially if you get in the right zone and itball just spills out. The publishing part for me is scary, lol. :)
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

At this point in the publishing industry I would say 'no'. Don't bother with them unless they really can get you results. If you have to do all of the work anyway, then all you're doing is giving them a cut of your success. They can be worth it, sure, but nowadays you really don't need it, especially if you self publish.

Check out Kindle Scout if you want to dip your feet into publishing. It is hard getting selected, but it will force you to be more professional without paying a penny.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Can someone really clarify what literary agents can do for you that you can't do on your own? I mean, I know the basics but would like someone who has experience with this.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

An agent is supposed to go out and sell a story to publishers, that is his job and it is what he gets his cut of your profits for. I've got four novels sitting, I'm still a step back from seeking an agent because I need help editing. Once that step is done, I'll be out there looking too. Self publishing is great if you have all your ducks in a row. As a reviewer here, I have seen several novels that should have taken a few more editing steps to ensure they had a book worth publishing. If you are comfortable with how the book comes across, go for it. Self Publish
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

TrishaAnn92 wrote: 28 Sep 2016, 09:38 Thank you! I have been keeping a mind set of "I will get published". There zure isn't. I think the writing is the easiest part especially if you get in the right zone and itball just spills out. The publishing part for me is scary, lol. :)
Oh no, there's no easy part per se. But like you say, the writing can be such a joy. It's everything after that that can cause immense stress. Oh, if only writers could just write and then the ecosystem would take care of everything else! But oh well, this isn't nature, is it?
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Lincoln wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 10:24 At this point in the publishing industry I would say 'no'. Don't bother with them unless they really can get you results. If you have to do all of the work anyway, then all you're doing is giving them a cut of your success. They can be worth it, sure, but nowadays you really don't need it, especially if you self publish.

Check out Kindle Scout if you want to dip your feet into publishing. It is hard getting selected, but it will force you to be more professional without paying a penny.
Abolutely. If you're going to be doing most of the work anyway, why get a literary agent? At best, I'd only hire one to learn from them - if they were really good. Otherwise, I'd do all my learning online and apply every single thing I learn.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

clint_csperry-org wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 10:53 An agent is supposed to go out and sell a story to publishers, that is his job and it is what he gets his cut of your profits for. I've got four novels sitting, I'm still a step back from seeking an agent because I need help editing. Once that step is done, I'll be out there looking too. Self publishing is great if you have all your ducks in a row. As a reviewer here, I have seen several novels that should have taken a few more editing steps to ensure they had a book worth publishing. If you are comfortable with how the book comes across, go for it. Self Publish
Oh yes, high quality work is mandatory.
And yes, the agent should tell your story to potential publishers.
But who can be more passionate about your story than you?

I'd imagine that an agent would come in really handy when dealing with a lot of publishers and a lot of work. Otherwise when starting out, it's good to do the work yourself, build the connections, and learn a lot and grow in the process.

I'd even almost say that an agent can be one of your staff members reaching out to and working with many others on your behalf in the book production process. It doesn't have to be so glorified that newbies are afraid of stepping into the water.

Come on, do it! Step into the water. Get your feet wet. If you come across a really huge hurdle, then maybe seek very specific help at that point - but then again, after you've maxed out your online learning.

With good timing and preparation, a strategy can take you far and result in wonders.

All the best!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Camille Turner wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 10:49 Can someone really clarify what literary agents can do for you that you can't do on your own? I mean, I know the basics but would like someone who has experience with this.
I'd also like to see what people say about this.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Lincoln wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 10:24 At this point in the publishing industry I would say 'no'. Don't bother with them unless they really can get you results. If you have to do all of the work anyway, then all you're doing is giving them a cut of your success. They can be worth it, sure, but nowadays you really don't need it, especially if you self publish.

Thanks for pointing out Kindle Scout. I'll look into it.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I think the current trend of ermeging social media marketing is putting down the job of the literary agents.
Guy Morris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Guy Morris »

I've written two really good books and working on a third. After sending over 130 agent queries, spending money on query letter coaching and re-writing the first book a few more times I did not get an agent and with encouragement from readers to self-publish.

It's only been a month so WAY too early to know if I can be successful, but so far I have over 13 5 star reviews, although sales take time to build.

My take is that the publishing industry has changed to seek out the big name, the celebrity status, the existing audience. They are far less likely to take a financial risk on an unknown author, regardless. The book The Martian, which was made into a hit movie was self-published at first. Why? Risk. Unless you are Obama, the publishers will do very little marketing other than presence and PR.

The question now be for the author of a novel is "how much do YOU believe in your book and willing to invest in self-publishing ($costs) and marketing.

The advantage to self-publishing is complete editorial control and higher per book royalty. The downside is that you have to build your own editor, designer, marketing team and it can be expensive. I am spending half my time or more on marketing the launch of my book. Fortunate for me, I have basic skills, but need to do a ton of research to learn from others.

I chose to self-publish because I have two incredible books and I'm too impatient to wait for that magic moment with an agent who will take 15% off the top.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”