Publishing on Amazon Kindle

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
RobC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robc.html

Publishing on Amazon Kindle

Post by RobC »

Greetings
I have put together a volume of my poetry. A friend has suggested Amazon Kindle as a way to publish a book. Do any of you guys have experience of that? Who owns the copyright? I have a novel too, which I intend to publish the old fashioned way. My idea is that people who encounter my novel, and don't know who I am (Pretty well everyone!) will try to look me up, to see what else I've done. That's where having a volume of poetry already out there will be useful. Perhaps some will try my vol of poetry first as a taster.

Any comments appreciated!
george_bass
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by george_bass »

Hello RobC,

I've published a number of books there. As far as I know, you must own the copyright of your books in order to publish them on Amazon Kindle. This is a precondition; otherwise it is illegal, and you cannot upload the book -- well, there is the exception of public domain books.

Hope to help.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thank You George. It also looks like you retain copyright on your work, too, though they don't specifically say so. The down side for me is having to promote the work myself--I don't do promotion or marketing. I'll have to learn, I guess!
george_bass

Post by george_bass »

That's right. It is assumed that you are the owner of the copyright. On the other hand, indie writers can take advantage of Amazon's Kindle Select program in order to promote their work.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I have also been checking out Amazon's print-on-demand publishing service."Create Space" is what they call it. No up front fee, so far as I can see, though there is a charge for a marketing/ promotion package. So you have any experience with that? A woman I know who was interested in that told me that she was required to have a US tax code. I live in the UK (As does my friend) I may mull this over a while before making up my mind.
george_bass

Post by george_bass »

RobC wrote: So you have any experience with that?
Yes, I have. Amazon will tax a standard percentage on your US sales, which may vary from 5% to 20%. If you want to benefit from the lower rate (5%), you must provide a valid TIN number. As a EU citizen, I took their Tax Interview providing my national identity card number.
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

I like what Amazon offers when you self-publish. You can take advantage of Kindle Select, as well as other promotions, marketing and free things. I would also suggest Create Space, which is Amazon's version of getting your book printed so you can hold an actual copy in your hands.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

RobC wrote:Thank You George. It also looks like you retain copyright on your work, too, though they don't specifically say so. The down side for me is having to promote the work myself--I don't do promotion or marketing. I'll have to learn, I guess!
Publishing on amazon can work out incredibly well, but you definitely have to be willing to put in the ground work to promote and publicize for visibility. It is a huge learning curve!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”