New Writer

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: New Writer

Post by Kyrenora »

I got my start writing short and simplistic poems in the margins of my school notebook. A couple of those were published through online competitions. Many of those competitions urge you to buy the books and CDs they put out, but you do not need to in order to advance.

My poetry really took off when I started reading my poems at open mic nights. That’s where I started to get feedback from more experienced writers and learn from them. Over the next few years, after participating in many local writing workshops, I started making a name for myself. I eventually won a few slams. The shows I frequented started paying me to perform full sets instead of just one piece in a night.

That’s when I knew I was ready to publish. I first used my personal printer to make a few booklets of my favorite ten poems I had written. I got permission to sell them at my shows, and made sure to tell all my friends and fans they were available.

You can now find that book in both paperback and ebook on Amazon.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Kyrenora wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:58 I got my start writing short and simplistic poems in the margins of my school notebook. A couple of those were published through online competitions. Many of those competitions urge you to buy the books and CDs they put out, but you do not need to in order to advance.

My poetry really took off when I started reading my poems at open mic nights. That’s where I started to get feedback from more experienced writers and learn from them. Over the next few years, after participating in many local writing workshops, I started making a name for myself. I eventually won a few slams. The shows I frequented started paying me to perform full sets instead of just one piece in a night.

That’s when I knew I was ready to publish. I first used my personal printer to make a few booklets of my favorite ten poems I had written. I got permission to sell them at my shows, and made sure to tell all my friends and fans they were available.

You can now find that book in both paperback and ebook on Amazon.
Sounds fascinating. Could you grace us with a sample?
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
bukky2001

Post by bukky2001 »

please I need a help i jst want to start writing my novel bt dnt know how to go about it
FLAMENCO

Post by FLAMENCO »

You need to start with a plot capsule. List 10-12 Chapters. For each one, describe or write the plot for each chapter. (the story line) Next invent the characters - young and old, whichever applies. Name them. Place them in each chapter as you want to have them appear. Now get started. Understand weather and temperature, time, as these are important. (From Rosalie, published author).
Lizpearson
Currently Reading: Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Lizpearson »

You can start not only as a poetry writer but also as a content writer or blogger. I got my start as an academic blog writer and to date, I also use this possibility to earn some extra money. Nice quality essays and other paper examples could be useful for college students and you will master your technique

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”