Self-publishing a book - not sure what to do?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Re: Self-publishing a book - not sure what to do?

Post by Anngladys »

P_hernandez wrote: 27 May 2016, 11:34 I feel like Amazon would give you a better audience span than LuLu based solely on the fact that they are considerably larger. The royalties may be smaller with Amazon, but you're getting more exposure and possibly selling more through them. Good luck! I hope it turns out well!
I agree. Amazon is a great choice!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

RobinStock wrote: 01 Jun 2016, 12:19 I totally feel you on this. I kind of agree on the advice above - Amazon is huge and I think the international exposure is worth it... Question...if you're doing all the work on the self-publishing, what service is your publisher providing? Editing, mostly? Will they help you promote the book? Do you lose part of your royalties by working through the publisher? I've not worked with one of these vanity or e-book publisher, so I'm genuinely interested in the process.
A traditional publisher would do everything. Some of the other kinds of publishing houses offer partial services, or a range of services at different costs.

You need to get clear information on what a publishing house will or will not do for you. Then consider whether it's worth the cost.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

vigabo wrote: 04 Jun 2016, 15:18 Hi!

I'm new here but no novice at self-publishing. I have self-published 4 books. For what my opinion is worth, I would never have bothered with Lulu. Way too expensive and I don't believe they have the reach that other services offer for far less.

I went the route of finding a printer for my first book, which meant I needed to order 100 - 200 printed copies at a time to get a price allowing me to sell at a $5 - $7 profit. Not wanting to be stuck with stock on my shelves, I looked at alternatives for the 2nd and 3rd reprints of that first book (yes, it was and still is popular). That's when I took a close look at CreateSpace and Blurb. Both offer a similar service and when it came down to my costs, I could make the same profit as I had hiring a printer but the bonus was I didn't need to order 100 - 200 books each time! I could order 5, 10, 20 as I needed them for upcoming book signings or talks I was doing. I didn't think twice when it came to printing my next 3 books. I now use CreateSpace solely and I sell in their online store as well. When I use CS, they "send" my info to Amazon directly and all I have to do then is upload my file to Amazon and they create the Kindle version. I sit back happily and watch my commission cheques come in at the end of each month. No pain, no strain.

But now, there is also another option I suggest you look at: Smashwords! This is a brilliant site. It doesn't print hard copies but if you upload your file there, it converts your file to all formats: Kindle, epub etc. And then it gets even better: Smashwords is a distributor. They distribute your ebook to Barnes and Noble, iBooks, and a host of others. The only one I don't bother having them distribute to is Amazon as Amazon will only take 200 books per year from them and unless you're famous, your book will never get to Amazon via Smashwords. So you just do Amazon yourself and send them the Kindle version that Smashwords created. Incidentally, Smashwords service does all this for free. They collect your commissions from B &N, iBooks, Kobo, Nook etc and cut you a cheque or pay into your PayPal every quarter. They take a small portion themselves from those commissions. And you can also sell directly from Smashwords. Oh, nearly forgot to mention that Smashwords also distributes to Overture (library supplier) for you, along with others. Definitely worth checking out before you spend more money needlessly.

One caution re Smashwords: they are very fussy about the .doc file you send them for conversion to eBooks. But they also supply full instructions on how to do it. If you're really stuck, there are independent services you can search who can do digital conversions for you. I use a very affordable relative, but unfortunately, by this board's rules, I cannot supply you contact info here. But I hope you can use the info and encouragement I have supplied above.
Thank you for sharing this. It is very helpful!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Rachel McClellan wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 18:08 I'm a fan of Createspace for my print books, but I format and upload my ebooks directly to Amazon and their Kindle Unlimited program. I don't even bother with other outlets. I make triple in Amazon's KU program compared to when my books were wide. This is just my experience though.
Wow! I didn't know Amazon could do that well!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

RBLW wrote: 15 Aug 2016, 14:35 Hi,
I'm publishing through Lulu and this isn't so much an endorsement as an informative post. Yes Amazon can be pretty cool to sell on if you're looking for free but, if you're actually willing to shell out the money to purchase Lulu's plan, they actually put it on Amazon for you and do a whole host of other things to help get you started. You still have to do your own promotion and marketing though unless you really want to shell out so cash. I chose the D.I.Y option the first time I attempted publication and honestly, I've found that it's a great deal easier to go through an agency (any agency that offers decent help, not just LuLu) the first time around. They help you get established as an author and you can learn quite a few useful tips for free to use in your future endeavors as an author. That and when you have that foundation built, it's easier to self-publish on your own because you're already known at that point. It took me a couple years to learn this and it's hard work to promote and market your own book, but in the long run it's worth it because you've made connections for the future, you understand process from personal experience and when going through the agency you actually get a better understand of the process when it involves a company as well as choices and effects you can make.

Of course you don't have to go through Lulu. There are several other companies out there that will publish for you, just do your research and see which one works best. I do have one final thing to say about Amazon though. Despite the three month rule where you can't publish elsewhere, they do have an impressive promotion packet so hopefully this helps.

I like your point about making connections for the future. Yes, that would make the journey worth it.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Lincoln wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 10:31 It is worth looking at draft2digital to publish. It is free, their system is incredible, and they have good royalty returns. I've never gone with anything like lulu. I used them one time to print out a batch of books, and the books felt cheap and crappy so I've never considered going back.
Thanks for the heads up about Lulu.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

KCWolf wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 16:30 I started out using Lulu and made the switch to CreateSpace with my first endeavor. And, with the second I used both, however, I just used Lulu as a pre-release edition before uploading to CreateSpace and Amazon. That way all the "kinks got worked out" early, like when pages were printed crooked and there was a typo on the back cover. ;)

That way I didn't spend too much with Lulu, only printing 2-3 copies with them. I didn't use their editing services though, as I found more reasonable priced editing elsewhere.

My best advice, however, is to focus more on ebooks than print, until the book gets more popular. But that's just my two cents.
Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Finchlark wrote: 10 Jul 2016, 12:52 I have used both Lulu and Createspace on several occasions and I actually find royalties higher on Createspace, and prefer them to Lulu. They have greater selection of paper, sizes, and covers and I like their dashboard where you can see exactly what is selling. If you select Global Distribution with Lulu that includes amazon, but it can take several weeks for your book to appear, and woe betide if you decide to change something - then you have to buy another proof copy and wait another few weeks. It's much easier with Createspace as you can approve a digital copy at no cost and changes are within 24 hours. For me, I would say Createspace every time.
Amazon has since acquired CreateSpace, now it's Kindle Direct Publishing. It offers a smooth publishing experience. And it's free too.
zoefoster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zoefoster »

here is the pros and cons of self-publishing https://amazonpublishingcentral.com/blo ... -and-cons/ after reading this guide you'll learn if is self-publishing is best for you or not.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”