Expiration Date?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Expiration Date?

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

I just went back and re-read Scott's book on the 10 Steps, and had some medicine to taste this morning. Truth be told, my debut novel was rated 4/4 a few months ago on OBC. It was after that where I made a fatal error-I wrote another book instead of marketing the first. I was way too excited and jumped the gun wanting to get more of the story out, and released book 2 of the 3 part series. In my blind Mommy bias, I gave birth to a book where the reviewer was lost and confused-In short, book 2 needs to be pulled until I can get people to read/buy the 1st. My question-My first book has been idly sitting on the shelf with about 5 reviews since September, and sinking in the charts. Would it be best to hit reset, pull BOTH books and polish/re-release? Readers see my release date for book 1 six months ago with few reviews. Is the date of release/review ratio a factor in a purchase decision?

My strategy right now is this-Pull book 1, polish and re-release on a KDP freebie giveaway to gain interest. Every cent made from that release thereafter the promotion should be (and would be) invested in marketing its follow ups. Good idea? Thoughts/suggestions? Please advise me in any way, no matter how mundane or silly you may think your idea sounds. I don't want to keep doing the same thing with the same results-The definition of insanity. Thanks in advance, Ezekiel
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

What do you mean by polish book 1?

I suspect that a freebie release with the first in a series is often a good idea.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

My first book got great reviews, but a few readers pointed out that they were confused by the hyperlinks in it. With every single number mentioned, I embedded scripture which prophesy the story/series. It's not imperative to read them so I took the hyperlinks out. Nothing was changed in the story, and I actually added the bonus art from my novel to the eBook version.
I'm going to do another freebie promo on my first book in the next few days to see what goes next.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Scott wrote:What do you mean by polish book 1?

I suspect that a freebie release with the first in a series is often a good idea.
Definitely making book 1 free in a series can do wonders in bringing in readers, though the strategy isn't quite what it used to be with the sheer number of free books out there. Now it takes more work and money to make this strategy work.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

The idea of a series is to pull readers into buying your other books. They can't do that if book two and three are not yet available. There's nothing wrong with releasing books in short succession or even all at once. But each one has to be completely polished. If there is work yet to be done on book one, perhaps it wasn't really ready for release, either. If you pull book one from Amazon, you'll lose the five reviews you do have. Maybe that's not an issue for you, but reviews are so hard to come by that I wouldn't want to give up even one.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I would try to make each book in the series self-contained. i.e. Write them so as it's not essential to have read book 1 before book 2, (although that may help the reader understand a character's backstory.) As far as reviews go, perhaps you could ask friends and family to add honest reviews to Amazon once Books 2 and 3 are published?

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”