Exactly how to use Twitter?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
maire gomez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Exactly how to use Twitter?

Post by maire gomez »

Twitter is an informal communication and miniaturized scale blogging administration that empowers its clients to send and read other clients' updates known as tweets
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

stoppoppingtheP wrote: 10 Oct 2015, 14:04 Tip. Many people follow you back if you follow them. If you have more followers, more people read your stuff.
With regards to the hashtags, they are basically keywords that people search for things with. Hashtag everything. Hope this helps
I think I'm the exception to the rule. I have 2 accounts, one for each of my 2 pen names. My primary account as more than 400 followers while my second account only has 8. The account with only 8 followers gets more overall impressions, more link clicks, more likes, more retweets, etc. I would say the hashtags are more important than anything.

Find out what's trending at the moment and fit those hashtags into your posts. Also find out what hashtags are almost guaranteed to get you retweets and throw those in. There are bot accounts that automatically retweet certain tags, and there are people who scour for certain hashtags to retweet.

Also, add a picture to everything. Just from my own habit, my eyes tend to catch on those posts with a picture more than those without. Additionally, you can throw more text into an image to avoid the 140 character limit.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I haven't personally used Twitter for marketing but I've been a user for a few years and have seen others marketing on there.

To get more followers you do need to follow more people. Many people employ a 'follow for follow' tactic and will follow you back. More followers = more people to see your tweets
Hashtags and keywords can be quite important. Search hashtags you would likely use and see how many results pop up - the more results, the more likely it is that people search for this hashtag or keyword.
Also, follow others in a similar position and study their tweets. How often do they tweet? How many of those are about their book? What hashtags do they use? What kind of tweets get the most response (likes, retweets and comments)? Use their tactics to help you gain followers and responses.

Good luck!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
losTcHild50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by losTcHild50 »

I've had a repeated problem with someone maliciously locking me out of my twitter account. I asked someone what they best way to prevent this was, and they said 2 step authentication. Does anyone have any other ideas, as we now have to pay for that on twitter.
Whoever this person is, if i manage to get back in, they will have blocked me again within 24hours, sometimes immediately. I'm baffled as to why anyone would waste their time doing this to someone starting out with no followers. I'm not aware that i have any enemies.
I struggle with the online world and technology so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”