Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
AetherPirate
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Post by AetherPirate »

Need an honest cover opinion. Had to make it myself, cannot afford talented help.

http://i.imgur.com/N3A4Rso.jpg

What would you change?
Mitj4
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Mitj4 »

Definitely matte, text is easier to read..

-- 06 Dec 2015, 21:43 --

About your cover AetherPirate.. You need to do something with the text,.. I can read the title now, but in a bookstore it is very difficult to notice what it says.. otherwise NICE book title and design :)
AetherPirate
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by AetherPirate »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do about the text. My Createspace copy is a lot darker than I thought it would be, need to brighten it up and have more contrast.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

I've recently switched most of my titles to matte. I think the finish definitely depends on the cover art, but I'm really liking the matte.
MJ Chantel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mj-chantel.html

Post by MJ Chantel »

I would go with the matte for a couple of reasons. One is text and photos print cleaner and have sharper edges. Another is that a matted look will be easier to display and clearly read.

Regardless of which one you choose, make sure you have a high quality print house and use high res images. Also, if you are still on the fence about matte vs glossy, request a proof of the cover done both ways. Proofs are apart of the printing process, so requesting an extra proof of the cover should cost very little if any. Cost will depend on the print house.

I hope that helps some. I worked in corporate marketing, and there are very few cases where a high gloss would be chosen over a matted. But I would definitely go with a proof.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

MJ Chantel wrote:I would go with the matte for a couple of reasons. One is text and photos print cleaner and have sharper edges. Another is that a matted look will be easier to display and clearly read.

Regardless of which one you choose, make sure you have a high quality print house and use high res images. Also, if you are still on the fence about matte vs glossy, request a proof of the cover done both ways. Proofs are apart of the printing process, so requesting an extra proof of the cover should cost very little if any. Cost will depend on the print house.

I hope that helps some. I worked in corporate marketing, and there are very few cases where a high gloss would be chosen over a matted. But I would definitely go with a proof.
Great point. I'm a hybrid author, with some self-published books. I took a chance on my self-pub list a few months ago, switching most of them over to matte covers in place of the glossy. I did buy proofs, which is always a good idea. I did, however, opt to stick with the matte finish.
MarkWNeville
Currently Reading: Desire for Life
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by MarkWNeville »

I went with glossy for my first book because it better reflected the subject of my book, spirit. Glossy feels more spirited and alive to me than matte.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

I love matte anything, and it just makes the finish look more sophisticated and non amateur.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I like matte, so I would probably agree with most people here that is is sophisticated. That said, glossy would probably work for some books, like coffee-table editions, for example.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Matte feels nice, but Glossy looks so much better. For darker colors people generally prefer matte, but I am 100% in the glossy camp!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I like matte. It looks better and more professional, glossy can be too much sometimes.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Traditionally, I've read that glossy is for textbooks and matte if for fiction. But on the Amazon POD platform, I like the glossy option for fiction. I think it looks sharper and the colors are better.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

ALynnPowers wrote: 07 Oct 2015, 04:30 I just thought about something else regarding the finish. I prefer the way that glossy covers "feel" when I hold them. All smooth. I think the matte feels sticky. But I still think it looks nicer, as long as I don't leave sticky handprints on it.
I am in total agreement. I think glossy covers feel much better, like I want to pick them up all the time and hold them in my hand. Also, I read while eating or drinking something much too often for matte book covers. Doesn't usually end well with me. Now, I do think I prefer the look of glossy book covers. For certain books. They're pretty eye-catching, though sometimes they can be a bit too much if not done "delicately". If there's too much on the cover already, then glossy finishes may add too much spice.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Scott wrote: 06 Oct 2015, 15:33 As explained in more depth in my ebook 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book, the most crucial part of marketing is product development.

One part of the publishing process is developing the cover for the print editions, i.e. traditional paperback editions or hardcover editions. One choice that comes up is choosing glossy versus matte finish for the cover.

Which do you generally prefer and why?

Those who publish many books will probably find that depending on the book and cover image a different finish can be preferred. What determines your choice on a per book basis?
The intended use of the book is important to me. An activity book would e better off having a glossy cover, for example.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”