finding the right publisher

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

finding the right publisher

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I am trying to find a publisher for my first book. I have roamed the internet and found 3 publishing company who are we will publish but for a price. we will edit, print, and promote some for you. what I want to know is how publisher are now. You pay them instead of they pay you? If this is true am I better finding my own editor and publishing myself?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
espicer4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by espicer4life »

To my knowledge, A true publisher will not charge you to publish your book. This is because they get park of the money from book sales. The ones that claim they will publish for money are kind of like back end publishers if that makes sense.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Amcdanel86 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:21 I am trying to find a publisher for my first book. I have roamed the internet and found 3 publishing company who are we will publish but for a price. we will edit, print, and promote some for you. what I want to know is how publisher are now. You pay them instead of they pay you? If this is true am I better finding my own editor and publishing myself?
I suggest you ask a hybrid publisher some of these queations. Hybrid publishers are new for these days. Since they are somewhere between the small publisher and the very large one, they might be good people to talk to.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
mancrucial
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mancrucial »

authors who has a piece of work should know that publishers who ask to be paid are not genuine because a true publishers get it published first,also you are risking the manuscript because it can be published by another author without your conscience.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Never pay anyone for the privilege of getting your work published. That should be a hard rule.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

A good publisher never ask money so never pay to anyone for publishing book.
Manfred Leuthard

Post by Manfred Leuthard »

A few months ago I self-published my first novel (a Thriller) on Amazon publishing. Sales are slow now that most of my friends bought or got a book as a present; so nothing unusual.

Reviews are another story: On Amazon I have 22 reviews with an average of 4.75 out of 5 stars. On Goodreads I have 11 reviews with an average rating of 4.45 out of 5. Another post here suggested that with these numbers I might catch the interest of a publisher.

Question: do I patiently wait for the 'Knock on the Door' or do I start sending out query letters?
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

There are many websites with lists of publishers. The book 'The Business of Being a Writer' by Jane Friedman is a good place to start. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to recommend books on posts. Hope this helps.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

One resource to use would be the Writer's Market. Instead of buying it, you should check out a few local libraries to see who has the most recent copy of it. Publishes come and go so fast that it is almost outdated before it hits the shelves, but it often has some decent information in it. I would start there.

Rule of thumb is to never pay someone to 'publish' your book. They are in it to make money, not get your book out there.
zoefoster

Post by zoefoster »

finding the right book publishers is really difficult nowadays, the market is full of scammers but eventually, I found Amazon publishing central they are professional and their pricing is also reasonable.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

Amcdanel86 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:21 I am trying to find a publisher for my first book. I have roamed the internet and found 3 publishing company who are we will publish but for a price. we will edit, print, and promote some for you. what I want to know is how publisher are now. You pay them instead of they pay you? If this is true am I better finding my own editor and publishing myself?
I use Lulu Press, Inc., which specializes in independent authors (over 20 years now). I have been using them since 2016, when I wrote my first book. There are pros and cons to using print-on-demand services like Lulu and they do charge for professional editing & marketing services, but the actual use of the website and to publish a book is FREE, which is nice. You only pay for the extra services which, honestly, you can do most of what they offer on your own if you put some leg work into it. Not that what they offer is bad or misleading, but if you are aiming to save a buck here and there, take the time to teach yourself before investing in these marketing & editing services. Just my opinion, as I do my own editing and marketing to save that buck (but I do pay for professional artwork, which has been 100% worth it, if expensive at times).
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
AMZ Book Publication

Post by AMZ Book Publication »

To find the right Book publisher for your book, start by researching publishers in your genre and checking their submission guidelines. Consider working with a literary agent, attend writing conferences and workshops, and be prepared for a potentially long process. Remember to be patient and persistent, and don't give up even if you face rejection along the way. With determination and hard work, you can find the right publisher to help bring your book to readers.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

Never pay to have your book published, that's called vanity publishing and is frowned on by legitimate publishers. The best way to find a publisher is to get the latest copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook. A new edition is published every year around August. It gives the detailed requirements of each editor, so at least you can send your enquiry letter to the right person.
It's very difficult to get a publisher (JK Rowling's Harry Potter series was rejected by multiple publishers before it found a home) so you should consider self-publishing online with a company like Lulu (and there are many others.) Google self-publishing online to see what suits you.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”