Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » Marketing and Promotion for Writers

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Book Blogs vs. Twitter

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.

Re: Book Blogs vs. Twitter

Post Number:#16 by kstumpp
» 04 Feb 2016, 12:19

I've just recently started using Twitter seriously myself, I have paid for advertisement (which was disappointing) and tried to gain followers in other various ways. I am finding that the majority of followers I gain are bot accounts or advertising upcoming bands...

I am interested to try a blog, which is why I recently bought a website - so I will give that a try and update.
kstumpp

Currently Reading: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Bookshelf Size: 2 books
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 1 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Gravy
» 17 Feb 2016, 02:51

I think that both are a good idea. Also, while some people will follow both, some people will follow one and not the other, so with both you reach more people.

However, the original question was about popular book review blogs.

As a follower of several book review blogs I can say that I love them. Once I get to know a reviewer (comparing their opinion about certain books/tropes/whatnot to my own) I can tell a lot about a book, and whether I'll like it or not, from their review.

As for author blogs, I'm a fan of some, but not many.
Because hope is a knife that can cut through the foundations of the world.

Seanan McGuire
Every Heart a Doorway
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 892 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 75%

Post Number:#18 by Leslie_79
» 19 Feb 2016, 12:47

Personally, I cannot stand Twitter but it may be my age. I'm 37. However, my children do not use Twitter either. We google the name of the book and go from there while researching books. I would definitely choose book blogs over Twitter any day.
Leslie_79

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#19 by ReadDear
» 05 Mar 2016, 12:31

I used Twitter (40 accounts), blogs (several), sites for readers (20-25) and facebook grops (60). I think facebook - most effectively.
"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." – Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
ReadDear

2017 Reading Goal: 1 Books

Post Number:#20 by mari_maria
» 25 Mar 2016, 05:19

hi there! :)
it's absolyutly correct: book blogs, twitter and other networks are very important for writers!

-- 28 Mar 2016, 03:16 --

I think all networks are important and must be used! but you should not forget about boom promotion sites! :)
it's not expensive and bring results)
mari_maria

Post Number:#21 by Lincoln
» 21 Mar 2017, 10:35

bookowlie wrote:Although I am not a writer, I know book blogs have become popular over the past few years. The use of Twitter for authors to promote their books is mentioned in Scott's book. I am curious - is Twitter a better way for an author to promote their book vs. marketing a book by contacting book bloggers with a large following?

Twitter can be really useful for sure in generating clicks, but for making your book promotion last book bloggers are way better. To build up long term sustainability you need to build up a network, and twitter won't do that nearly as well.

With my own blog, I just automatically post to twitter whenever I write a blog post, so I know twitter is being updated and getting news and updates without needing to do a lot of work, but reaching out to bloggers generally gets me more traction.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Publishing Contest ~ 9 Votes ~ View Lincoln's Entry
Lincoln

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48 books

Post Number:#22 by Billy Pro
» 05 Apr 2017, 07:38

I know many young writters they consider Social networks as a channel to promote their books.
Billy Pro

Post Number:#23 by jennyjfoy
» 17 May 2017, 07:22

Yeah its true, Book Blogs have a good response for promoters.
Last edited by gali on 17 May 2017, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
jennyjfoy

Post Number:#24 by Gingerbo0ks
» 17 May 2017, 13:33

I prefer Instagram and link it to my tumblr blog. Instagram has a great book community and you can write as much or a little as you like and some followers just prefer pictures.
“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 155 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#25 by Julez
» 12 Jul 2017, 16:00

Book blogs with large followings are better but it doesn't hurt to equally use twitter and then build up your followers.
Julez

Currently Reading: The Elf Coup
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 23%

Post Number:#26 by Nina Rose
» 21 Jul 2017, 13:55

Book blog is more in depth about promoring your book.Twitter is for connecting with many readers.Both are important for these purposes.
Nina Rose

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

Previous