What do you look for in a good book cover?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading: Wolf Hunter Inquisition
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: Chronicles of the Rose by Michael Sauls

Re: What do you look for in a good book cover?

Post by Black Jewel »

I like a cover that relates to the content of the story, but also is quite bold in color.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

for me it's everything.. everything just has to be perfect and in right proportion.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon
2022 Reading Goal: 29
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by dennisbragra »

The cover needs to tell the story before actually reading it. A good cover should not contradict the story in the book
Marsha JJ
Favorite Book: Bluewater Walkabout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: The Devil Never Dances With the Lady In Red Heels by A'taris Anthony/ Anthony Huskey
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 255%

Post by Marsha JJ »

While I initially like covers that are eye-catching, once it catches my eye I want to be able to know what the book is about "at a glance". It should be super clear and enticing, and capture the main point of the book.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Hmm, I think for me I prefer the cover to be one or more characters. What I mean is that it depicts a person, animal, deity, whatever relates to the story.

Twilight is a series that did not go this route. The books have objects on the covers. The first book has a person (not shown enough for me to count it) holding an apple. It apparently is linking the narrative to the apples of immortality tradition in Greek and Norse myths. While I respect them using symbolism that fits the story, I think the cover is just okay. It is not a personal favorite. It feels a bit generic, though for symbolism points I might give it a 7/10.

Now for an example of a great one I would point to R.L. Stine's Fear Street novel called The Betrayal. The woman's face is beautifully drawn. The fire, the gate, the way she is holding her cloak, these things evoke plenty of atmosphere. You even have a detailed and relatively unique object with her necklace. This is an easy 9/10, if not a straight up 10/10.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”