I must have laughed and cried a thousand times... -- Message from Gary Robinson

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

Gary Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 0

I must have laughed and cried a thousand times... -- Message from Gary Robinson

Post by Gary Robinson »

[The following is a featured post written by Gary Robinson, who is the author of the May 2018 Book of the Month, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid]

I must have laughed and cried a thousand times while writing nearly every page of this book because The Sword Swallower was a close and dear friend of mine.

Writing this book was therapeutic and joyful. As I created the story, I could hear The Sword Swallower’s voice, see his face, and feel the presence of my friend.

The book is fiction, but much of this story is based on actual experiences. I wanted to write a book that was entertaining from sentence to sentence so that if you didn't read it from the first chapter you would still find the story interesting and engaging.

Duke Reynolds' life is made for storytelling. He ran away from home and joined the circus at the age of fifteen. He learned how to swallow swords and traveled with the strangest characters of the circus sideshow that were affectionately known as the “freaks”. The freaks loved the work, they loved the life, and they especially loved each other.

I also wanted to share a part of my own story. I hope you find the ridiculous social events of the 80’s contained within this book to be hysterical. I am happy to report that our culture has evolved from that type of stupidity, but this was my life for several years. I attempted to portray the character of this endearing alcoholic in a more unusual perspective. I wanted you to root for this Chico kid and see him as ‘the good guy’ despite his degenerate addictions. My intention was for you to read about my immature choices in life, shake your head and say, “What a mess. I just want to sit him down and talk some sense into him!”

This book is full of interesting people and unique adventures that you have most likely never read in any other story. You will love the characters described in this tale.

I believe that meeting The Sword Swallower was no coincidence. Without his influence, I most likely would have died at some point from drug overdose or alcoholism. When we met, we both suffered from addictions and I describe when and how each of us started our drug and alcohol abuse. Duke had much more control of his drug use than I did. He was close to dying from cancer and was just living out his last days. I wanted you to experience the dialogue between us while we immersed ourselves in what we called “medicine”. Even with the aforementioned addictions discussed, you will find this book filled with humor. It is a very entertaining tale.

This is a story of redemption and finding the most peculiar soul to teach me how to find inspiration.

I can proudly say I have raised three children since our adventures ended. They are all in college now and are gainfully employed. I also have a wonderful career and play a mean harmonica.

I am currently writing another story and hope to finish by the end of the year. I do not want to give too many of the details away, but I intend to discuss other social issues and present a different class of unusual characters while they embark on their adventure.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this letter. I truly hope you enjoy The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. If you do have a chance to read my book, I would love to discuss it with you. I can be reached at Grobinbooks on Facebook, @Grobinbooks on Twitter, or you can visit my website at www.GrobinBooks.com.

Regards,
Gary Robinson

---
View The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid on Bookshelves
charcro

Post by charcro »

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your letter. You have really helped shed more light on the life of Duke Reynolds "The Sword Swallower". I hope to experience as much emotion reading it as you did writing it.

Thanks again!
Atipriya
Currently Reading:

Post by Atipriya »

That seems really interesting, it would be fun to read about coping up with social issues and problems, that too in an entertaining manner.
Piglet23
Currently Reading: my sisters keeper
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Piglet23 »

I have just joined onlinebookclub and was thinking about which book to choose for my first read....Then when I read this I thought this might be a good choice.....hopefully I will be proved right - will let you know!.....
MommaGrump

Post by MommaGrump »

Very interesting. I love the title. Can relate to some of the dysfunctional words.
Thank you.
Yoniasantana
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Yoniasantana »

Just by reading this letter I got a glimps of how much love and soul you put in this book. I haven’t read your book yet. But I’m definitely going to pick it up. It sounds like such an amazing book. I can’t wait to see the journey this book takes me to.
cmclark_268

Post by cmclark_268 »

Mr. Robinson,
Although, I have not at this time had the opportunity to read your book. It sounds to me like you journeyed through an amazing path to sobriety with the best possible medicine that one could have. Congratulations on the healing of ones self and thank you for your contribution of writing a book to tell the story. I hope to be reading this soon, as I too would love to share in your laughter an experience.
Best regards,
Christina
DavAbeOye
Currently Reading:

Post by DavAbeOye »

Dear Gary,
Your letter is a honest and brief description of what to expect in the book. It is also a good appetizer. Like a craftsman you introduced the prospective reader to the main characters in the book with a hint of the challenges they faced. I look forward to reading the book.
Thank you for the wonderful introduction.
Sincerely
David Oyesina
LME2012
Currently Reading:

Post by LME2012 »

I will definitely be reading this book sometime in the near future. I absolutely love reading books that not only make me laugh, cry and get goosebumps, but also have so much truth to trials and tribulations that everyone sometime in their lives encounter. I myself was considering writing a book that’s half fiction and half nonfiction. Most of the nonfiction are the dreams I have at night and the fiction is what all I have been through in my life and still managed to stand strong and push past my bad decisions I’ve made during my life.
Catchtherunner

Post by Catchtherunner »

It's an interesting letter, Gary. Meeting someone like the Swordswallower must have had a great impact on your life for you to have built your book around him. I'll be interested to look into your book in the future.
OluwadarasimiMo

Post by OluwadarasimiMo »

Thanks for this message. I believe the book will be of more benefit to those who are hopeless, and mostly a lesson to many as they are growing.
Kmayner
Currently Reading:

Post by Kmayner »

This book sounds super interesting and fun. It also sounds like a life lesson and to any reader would make them cry, laugh, and reminece in their own life, look back and compair. I would love to read it.
Annu719
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Annu719 »

Hy Gary Robinson, your letter really instigate me to read your book. The way you describe it in your letter about you and your friend is making me wonder what the whole book is like. I'm looking forward to read your book The Sword Swallower and Chico Kid
jaynee1998

Post by jaynee1998 »

I have not read your book yet but with this letter on how you briefly described your journey in life and how you have obviously conquered some maybe not all your demons I really want to read your book now.
Iam _tee- na+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Iam _tee- na+ »

Thank you for the message,it was well received and it made me more interested in reading the book.i will get back to you after reading it.
Regards

Return to “Author Articles”