5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

EugeniuszMosz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

Post by EugeniuszMosz »

karolinka wrote:5 Tips to Become a Better Writer
By Caroline Blaha-Black

There are many things that can make a wannabe scribe a better writer, and many of those are too numerous to list. I will, therefore, concentrate on five tips that have worked for me over the years in my writing career, and in general when writing my books and articles.

1) Read other authors. One of the most obvious for those who are going to call themselves a writer would be to read other writers. Writers are readers first, and good readers usually make good writers. I started my writing career by reading everything I could lay my hands on, mostly fiction and the classics, in addition to getting a subscription to a couple of writing magazines. Don’t limit yourself only to novels, though, but read writing-help books, and non-fiction as well. Get a good idea of different writing styles by reading classics, for example Hemingway and Asimov and also modern fiction, like Tom Clancy and James Patterson. Highlight similarities and compare the differences.

2) Go to writing conferences and take writing courses. It never hurts to take a grammar refresher or a course in freelance writing. Writing conferences require some investment at first, as they can be expensive, but they’re worth every penny. You can take workshops, network with other writers, meet industry insiders, even pitch your book idea to a literary agent. When I go to these, often I come home motivated and energized to do more writing, and sometimes I actually secure an assignment or two while there.

3) Join a writer’s critique group. These groups usually meet in your local library or Starbuck's. Approach them with an open mind as you’ll be asked to provide constructive criticism on each other’s work. The members of the group have no vested interest in your work, so they can provide unbiased comments as to what works and what doesn’t in your novel or article. It takes guts to join a critique group, but with a bit of luck and a positive attitude, they can help you address those problem areas in your work.

4) Try your hand at freelancing. Before you write your next bestseller, make sure you can actually sell small articles and stories before going big. Write a few short stories that are related to your book and pitch them to a magazine or two that might have interest in your work. Or, offer your work to writing contests or literary journals, and see where you stand from the crowd. I try to enter contests that offer constructive feedback for my submissions- even if I don’t win, at least I will know what to improve.

5) Be active on social media. LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter offer a treasure trove of writing advice, links, contacts, feedback from readers, and more. Not sure if a part of your book makes sense? Post it on Facebook for your friends (and potential customers) to see, and ask for their feedback. See what they liked and what didn’t make sense. Do they want more? Does the story hold their attention? Use their suggestions to make your story better.

There are many more ways to improve your writing craft, but the above five points are a good place to start. Writing every day beats them all, so make sure and squeeze a little bit of writing into your everyday schedule!

Aww thank you for this very interesting article.. I enjoyed reading, very helpful!! I'm hoping for more kind of this soon.. :techie-studyingbrown:
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

That was an interesting article and I agree with the first tip the most. In order to become a better writer, you have to become a better reader and read all types of different books. That's why I'm glad I joined online book club because now I'm reading books that I would have never glanced out. I feel like the development of my reading skills will help improve my writing.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Thank you for these sound pieces of advice. I'll practice each one of them to finally come up with a nice book. It is one of my dreams.
"Do not take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway."
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Thank you for the tips. I've always been a little curious about trying my hand at writing, I'll keep this advice in mind. Great article!
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Thank you! I want to be an author, but there are times when I struggle with motivation and self-doubt. I'll take your advice to heart.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Cedar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Cedar »

Nice tips, they are still relevant today for any one that wants to be a success in writing.
:tiphat:
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Thank you for these amazing tips!
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

I liked the idea of trying various writing platforms before going big. I will definitely be trying out this.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

Sound advice
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
AHMED SSENYONJO

Post by AHMED SSENYONJO »

You more than smart and thank you
riojun18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by riojun18 »

Great article. Thanks for sharing these 5 steps to become a good writer. Now I know where to start with.
Shayaree Chanda
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayaree-chanda.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Shayaree Chanda »

A different article to read. Not including those clichéd tips which is repeated in most of the sites. Thanking the author a lot for this.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Interesting article. I was once in a Creative Writing group where the leader banned us from saying 'I want to be a writer'. It was fine to say, I want to be a better writer, or I want to be a published writer, or a more successful writer or whatever, but she insisted that we already WERE writers and should bear that in mind.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I liked this article and agree if you want to be a writer you need to be well read as well.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Five quick points that I have learnt before I go back to sleep. Thanks for the article.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Author Articles”