5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

Post by karolinka »

5 Tips to Become a Better Writer
By Caroline Blaha-Black

There are many things that can make a wannabe scribe a better writer, and many of those are too numerous to list. I will, therefore, concentrate on five tips that have worked for me over the years in my writing career, and in general when writing my books and articles.

1) Read other authors. One of the most obvious for those who are going to call themselves a writer would be to read other writers. Writers are readers first, and good readers usually make good writers. I started my writing career by reading everything I could lay my hands on, mostly fiction and the classics, in addition to getting a subscription to a couple of writing magazines. Don’t limit yourself only to novels, though, but read writing-help books, and non-fiction as well. Get a good idea of different writing styles by reading classics, for example Hemingway and Asimov and also modern fiction, like Tom Clancy and James Patterson. Highlight similarities and compare the differences.

2) Go to writing conferences and take writing courses. It never hurts to take a grammar refresher or a course in freelance writing. Writing conferences require some investment at first, as they can be expensive, but they’re worth every penny. You can take workshops, network with other writers, meet industry insiders, even pitch your book idea to a literary agent. When I go to these, often I come home motivated and energized to do more writing, and sometimes I actually secure an assignment or two while there.

3) Join a writer’s critique group. These groups usually meet in your local library or Starbuck's. Approach them with an open mind as you’ll be asked to provide constructive criticism on each other’s work. The members of the group have no vested interest in your work, so they can provide unbiased comments as to what works and what doesn’t in your novel or article. It takes guts to join a critique group, but with a bit of luck and a positive attitude, they can help you address those problem areas in your work.

4) Try your hand at freelancing. Before you write your next bestseller, make sure you can actually sell small articles and stories before going big. Write a few short stories that are related to your book and pitch them to a magazine or two that might have interest in your work. Or, offer your work to writing contests or literary journals, and see where you stand from the crowd. I try to enter contests that offer constructive feedback for my submissions- even if I don’t win, at least I will know what to improve.

5) Be active on social media. LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter offer a treasure trove of writing advice, links, contacts, feedback from readers, and more. Not sure if a part of your book makes sense? Post it on Facebook for your friends (and potential customers) to see, and ask for their feedback. See what they liked and what didn’t make sense. Do they want more? Does the story hold their attention? Use their suggestions to make your story better.

There are many more ways to improve your writing craft, but the above five points are a good place to start. Writing every day beats them all, so make sure and squeeze a little bit of writing into your everyday schedule!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the interesting article. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ginam13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ginam13 »

Thank you. Great advice. I don't feel comfortable posting my book on social media however.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Thank you for your advice. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your article. Tip#3 seem particularly helpful, as I would think writers can give good suggestions to each other about their work.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
karolinka

Post by karolinka »

Thank you all for your kind words about my article, it is much appreciated!
- A. Beauchamp.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

This was very concise and accurate. It was good for me to realize what steps I'm weak in so that I can go about correcting it. Thank you.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the advice! These seem very helpful for those aspiring to become better writers.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bigfootmurf
Favorite Book: Stranger In A Strange Land
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigfootmurf.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by bigfootmurf »

Good tips for marketing and getting about and being social but I think a writer should write. If you spend your day twittering and facebooking and going to meetings you're not going to have much time left to put words on the page. However, reading is definitely a good idea.
Micheal mathew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Micheal mathew »

Your article was short and precise to the point.personally I feel that it is always better when it is short ,So you did a wonderful job
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Thanks for sharing your pivotal experience.
duckwood1092
Currently Reading: Epic Excellence
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duckwood1092.html

Post by duckwood1092 »

Great tips and thanks for sharing. Attending writing conferences and taking courses can be costly for traveling as well as enrolling. I could take courses online but sometimes it is nice to speak with classmates face-to-face. I have found finding critique groups and even book clubs nearby a challenge. Most are an hour away and would take half the day for one meeting: 1+ hours to drive & find place/parking, 1+ hour for meeting & socializing, 1+ hour to drive back. This could take 4 hours or more as some critique sessions I have attended took 1.5-2 hours.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Thank you for writing this article. The tips are helpful. I'd never thought of joining a writing group before.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
karolinka

Post by karolinka »

Thank you! The writing and critique groups can be helpful- you have a second or third pair of eyes to look at your work. If there is one close to your area, that is helpful. so you don't have to drive so far. Sometimes it can also be a good idea to start one yourself, of there are non in your area, and have some of your writing-minded friends join.
- A. Beauchamp.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoyed reading your article. I have always wanted to write fiction, but I just don't have the talent. I do like the thought of a writer's critique group, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Articles”