Forum Navigation: Forum Index » NEW: Author Articles

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Re: 5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

Post Number:#16 by EugeniuszMosz
» 27 Mar 2017, 16:21

karolinka wrote:5 Tips to Become a Better Writer
By Caroline Blaha-Black

There are many things that can make a wannabe scribe a better writer, and many of those are too numerous to list. I will, therefore, concentrate on five tips that have worked for me over the years in my writing career, and in general when writing my books and articles.

1) Read other authors. One of the most obvious for those who are going to call themselves a writer would be to read other writers. Writers are readers first, and good readers usually make good writers. I started my writing career by reading everything I could lay my hands on, mostly fiction and the classics, in addition to getting a subscription to a couple of writing magazines. Don’t limit yourself only to novels, though, but read writing-help books, and non-fiction as well. Get a good idea of different writing styles by reading classics, for example Hemingway and Asimov and also modern fiction, like Tom Clancy and James Patterson. Highlight similarities and compare the differences.

2) Go to writing conferences and take writing courses. It never hurts to take a grammar refresher or a course in freelance writing. Writing conferences require some investment at first, as they can be expensive, but they’re worth every penny. You can take workshops, network with other writers, meet industry insiders, even pitch your book idea to a literary agent. When I go to these, often I come home motivated and energized to do more writing, and sometimes I actually secure an assignment or two while there.

3) Join a writer’s critique group. These groups usually meet in your local library or Starbuck's. Approach them with an open mind as you’ll be asked to provide constructive criticism on each other’s work. The members of the group have no vested interest in your work, so they can provide unbiased comments as to what works and what doesn’t in your novel or article. It takes guts to join a critique group, but with a bit of luck and a positive attitude, they can help you address those problem areas in your work.

4) Try your hand at freelancing. Before you write your next bestseller, make sure you can actually sell small articles and stories before going big. Write a few short stories that are related to your book and pitch them to a magazine or two that might have interest in your work. Or, offer your work to writing contests or literary journals, and see where you stand from the crowd. I try to enter contests that offer constructive feedback for my submissions- even if I don’t win, at least I will know what to improve.

5) Be active on social media. LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter offer a treasure trove of writing advice, links, contacts, feedback from readers, and more. Not sure if a part of your book makes sense? Post it on Facebook for your friends (and potential customers) to see, and ask for their feedback. See what they liked and what didn’t make sense. Do they want more? Does the story hold their attention? Use their suggestions to make your story better.

There are many more ways to improve your writing craft, but the above five points are a good place to start. Writing every day beats them all, so make sure and squeeze a little bit of writing into your everyday schedule!

Aww thank you for this very interesting article.. I enjoyed reading, very helpful!! I'm hoping for more kind of this soon.. :techie-studyingbrown:
EugeniuszMosz

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Amagine
» 29 Mar 2017, 07:14

That was an interesting article and I agree with the first tip the most. In order to become a better writer, you have to become a better reader and read all types of different books. That's why I'm glad I joined online book club because now I'm reading books that I would have never glanced out. I feel like the development of my reading skills will help improve my writing.
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley

"The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one which makes you think." -Harper Lee
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Broken Things and Angel Feathers
Bookshelf Size: 680 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#18 by CHL
» 10 Jul 2017, 10:31

Thank you for these sound pieces of advice. I'll practice each one of them to finally come up with a nice book. It is one of my dreams.
"Do not take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway."
CHL

Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#19 by gaporter
» 14 Jul 2017, 16:35

Thank you for the tips. I've always been a little curious about trying my hand at writing, I'll keep this advice in mind. Great article!
gaporter

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 62%

Post Number:#20 by Afuglsan
» 15 Jul 2017, 00:53

Thank you! I want to be an author, but there are times when I struggle with motivation and self-doubt. I'll take your advice to heart.
Afuglsan's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Afuglsan

Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 77 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 54%

Previous