Official Interview: Emmett Smith

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Emmett Smith

Post by kandscreeley »

It's time for another Chat with Sarah! Today, I have the privilege of introducing you to Emmett Smith the author of The Shadow of Olympus.

Official Review.

Purchase on Barnes and Noble.

****************************************************************************************
1. Tell us more about who you are.

I am a voracious reader in many subjects and science fiction is one of them. I am also a student of the history of western civilization. I have seen how one determined person could set - or change - the course of history (especially in war or diplomacy). I have also seen how important it is to choose the right allies - or the correct person for an important mission.

2. What made you decide to start writing?

Probably because I like to exercise my imagination. I have also read some books that were about interesting subjects, but their writers had annoying writing styles or poor choices of words. I decided that I could do a better job, so I began writing. I soon learned that I could not please every reader, so I developed my own style and offered my stories to certain types of people - especially those who liked characters with some depth. Science fiction characters often have very little background information given about them, so I decided to change that..

3. Who have been the biggest influences in your life?

The biggest influences in my life were the great men and women of history. Some of them - like Napoleon Bonaparte - came from undistinguished family backgrounds, but they accomplished amazing things, due to personal skills and determination.

I also admire the great writers and I have seen how they created characters that the reader cared about - or detested. Some of these writers developed undistinguished seeming characters into people with great intrapersonal skills and a strong influence on other human beings (or animals). David Copperfield was one of them and the man who became The Count of Monte Cristo was another.

4. Let's talk about your novel The Shadow of Olympus. It's a science fiction story about a colony on Mars, another intelligent species and a war beginning on Earth. Why the future?

I am disappointed by the aimless and disjointed course(s) of multiple American policies for manned space flight since the end of Project Apollo. They have been underfunded and as changeable as the seasons.

The Shadow of Olympus proposes a bold course for the future of manned exploration of our solar system. As the bible says: "Without a vision, the people perish."

5. Do you see anything in your book that is a prediction of things to come?

I do not own a crystal ball and I am not a biblical prophet. Rather, I describe a future that *could* *happen*- if the right people were in charge of NASA and the rest of the American government. The Shadow of Olympus and its sequels demonstrate what ordinary seeming individuals could accomplish on a planetary frontier.

6. The reviewer mentions that the descriptions, especially of Mars and it's surroundings, were quite detailed. How much research went into that?

I spent about four years researching and writing T.S. of O. Every time some new information about Mars became available, I would modify some of the descriptions of places and machines that were in this first book. Finally, I needed to force myself to declare: "Okay, I must stop tinkering with this book and send it to a publisher, before real events overtake my story line!"

7. What do you want the reader to take away from your story?

I want to re-inspire the sense of wonder that our space program had in its beginning. NASA's press releases could bore the dead. I am also tired of NASA's determination to ignore the many pyramids - big and small - that are scattered all over Mars. As Jesus told us "There is no-one so blind as he who does not want to see."

8. What else are you working on?

Books Two and Three of The Lowellsville Chronicles are in the making. Book Two could be on the market in a year - if there was enough pent up demand for it.

Right now I must compete with all these Star Wars stories for the public's attention. They are tough acts to follow.

And how about ending with a few fun questions.

9. What is your favorite book?

In the science fiction category, it would be H.G. Welles' wonderful story The Time Machine. I prefer the movie version that was made in the nineteen sixties, because it closely followed the book.

10. Star Wars? Star Trek? Neither?

The Star Trek movie, The Journey Home, and Episode Four of Star Wars are my two favorite science fiction movies The characters are memorable in both of them and both have occasional bits of humor.

[Interviewer note: Admiral, there be whales here!]

11. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

Neither - I prefer ketchup and honey mustard.

12. What's your favorite holiday dessert?

My favorite holiday desert is pumpkin pie-especially with vanilla ice cream on it.

Thank you so much for you time! We wish you the best of luck on the sequels to The Shadow of Olympus. Until next time, this is your friendly neighborhood interviewer, signing off!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you both for the interesting interview!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

gali wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 23:30 Thank you both for the interesting interview!
Thanks Gali!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Neil Armstrong is dead. Who will duplicate his "moonwalk," or will the next time be "Marswalk"? Emmett seems positive Mars is habitable. Will I live to know for sure?
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting interview! Thanks to both of you.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mary Ndirangu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-ndirangu-1.html
Latest Review: Schroedinger The Wonder Cat by Aaron Rosen

Post by Mary Ndirangu 1 »

The book seems quite amazing and I would love to read it as soon as I can. Great interview.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Delightful. I hope there are more to come in the future.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Willard Damn
Favorite Book: Endeavor’s Run
Currently Reading: Brooke's Bad Luck
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Willard Damn »

How pleasent and interesting.
Agaba Witness
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agaba-witness.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Agaba Witness »

"I'm not a biblical prophet" hooked me. This book must be one which eradicates people's obsession with the so called "luck". We can determine how the future will be if are determined to believe we can. Thank you, Smith!
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

I've read this book and sure enough, there were things about the author that I figured out before reading this. They all were confirmed.

Return to “Author Interviews”