Official Interview: Kathleen Geiger

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Kathleen Geiger

Post by kandscreeley »

Good day, all! It's time for another Chat with Sarah! This time I had the privilege of conversing with Kathleen Geiger author of Farmer Beau's Farm. This was book of the month in May 2017. Farmer Beau's Farm is a cute children's story about animals on the farm. It was written for the author's granddaughters.

The official OBC review is located here. Make sure to check it out!

To view the May book of the month forum click here.

To purchase the Kindle edition (it's free on Kindle Unlimited), click here.

Without further fuss or muss, let's get to the questions and answers!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Tell us a little bit about your life outside of writing.

I taught special education for 8 years and then finished the last 25 years teaching 3rd grade. I still substitute teach at Grand Ridge. I enjoy keeping up with it and seeing the teachers and students. I also babysit Kailey and Mia two days a week. This brings me much joy and love seeing them grow to special girls. In my spare time I enjoy sewing either making animals to go with the book, quilts, or memory pillows and bears for loved ones.

2. Your book Farmer Beau's Farm has a cast of animal characters, what animals do you have at home?

In the last few years I have had no animals. Hooch was our last dog. I feel I do not have the time to commit to a pet at this time and to be honest dread if I have to make that end of life decision. With that said, I grew up on a farm where my dad raised pigs. My husband and I didn’t have any farm animals but did have inside cats and dogs which we enjoyed and spoiled.

3. What was your inspiration for Farmer Beau's Farm?

I wrote the story for my granddaughters. It came to me when Kailey was here for an overnight stay. The six kittens were playing around the garage and patio. She enjoyed them as did Frank (Beau) and I after she left. As in the story, the kittens left the farm but we would see them once in a while for a return visit.

4. Do you have a favorite character from the book?

I suppose Kailey Kitten as she was the initial inspiration however each character holds a special fondness as they were named after my granddaughter who chose their characters colors.

5. Do you have any follow-ups planned? Any other books or projects in the works?

At present I have a book in publication An Adventure Awaits which will have new characters added and again a unique animal to the farm. After all I have two new granddaughters since writing Farmer Beau’s Farm and Sammy and Malissa graciously thought their older brother should be in it. I am not sure a 16 year old boy feels the enthusiasm they do! This book should be out the beginning of 2018. There is a sequel to these two, The Intruders which is being edited and the illustrator will be beginning the illustrations. Both of these will be a smaller book with both the manuscript and illustrations on the same page.

6. How did your granddaughters react to the book?

They enjoyed seeing their names in print. I think they thought it was neat that Grandma had a book published. Sammy enjoyed taking it to school and sharing it with her class along with her stuffed Sammy Bunny.

7. What was your favorite book as a child?

I think my mom was wishing I would stop bringing home The Cat and the Hat. I enjoyed the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

8. What book are you currently reading?

At present I am not reading any books. Once I start reading a book I won’t put it down and so I am forcing myself to do things that need to get done. This winter I will curl up with books by Jeannette Walls or Jodi Picoult.

9. Desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone?

I usually work with the computer or smartphone, it depends where I am. I try to limit myself as I ususally start browsing Pinterest to get ideas and one thing leads to another.

10. Coffee or tea?

Coffee in the morning however I try not to make a pot of it unless I am having company as I would drink the whole pot throughout the day. Of course a cappuccino or frappe would suffice too.

11. What is your favorite breakfast food?

At home I do something quick like cereal or oatmeal but if I am going out I enjoy pancakes.

12. Do you have any words of wisdom for any wishing to pursue their dreams?

Never give up on your dreams. There are times where you might think your dream is silly or impossible to achieve, but keep striving. One is never too old.

I'd like to thank Ms. Geiger once again for her time.

If you'd like to purchase the book, it is available on Amazon. Click here to view.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you both for the interesting interview! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Gali! I have to agree with her about the coffee... I think that's why I have a keurig!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”