Official Interview: Rob White (And Then I Met Margaret)

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Rob White (And Then I Met Margaret)

Post by kandscreeley »

One of our recent books of the day was And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White. This will also be the book of the month in January. I had the privilege of chatting with the author about his life and book. He has some great wisdom to offer; so if you read any of my interviews, this is one you should read.

To view the official OBC review, click here: Review

Without further ado, the questions and answers.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

What can I tell you about me? Hmmmm. Let’s see.

I am a person with the passion of a twenty-three year old and the wisdom of a seventy- three year old. I have been on the planet for over seven decades and have created many epochs in my life. I believe we all create epochs - notable events. Our self-created epochs are what offer us opportunities to expand and experience more and more of our infinite nature. It is in moments of expansion that we come to understand ourselves a little more than we were the day before.

We are the captain, we are the sail. We are the wind when it comes right down to what we make of our lives. Nothing can stop me from making wonderful decisions and holding a dignified position in life except myself. It is out of the vastness of our hearts that we decide what we will do with the creative power we wield.

I was a dedicated school teacher for nearly two decades, a wildly successful real estate developer and restaurateur for three decades after that, and now I am an author, giving all of my wisdom back.

If I am sounding arrogant, please forgive me. I do not believe there is one thing of significance that I’ve achieved that is not available to anyone who understands themselves rightly. It is as easy to attract the good in life as it is to attract the bad, and that’s because it’s as easy to tune into your feeling of aliveness as to tune into your fear of failure. What’s required is getting in touch with that pure spirit within you that knows how to dance with reality. That is what saved me from thinking life was supposed to be a struggle.

I have examined well my head and my heart, and it is clear to me that whatever I might say about myself, I can safely say is true about everyone else. It is to the degree that I say faithfully, “If it is to be for me is up to me,” and act accordingly, that I attract life’s many riches to me. I find it joyful and natural to draw blessing on the world, knowing that what I bless will bless me. Sweet liberty! That’s what I think life is all about. That is The Law of Reciprocity! It is absolutely true that what we do unto others shall be done unto us. I live by that rule.

2. It looks like you grew up in a small town where most people worked in a factory and didn't go to college. Who inspired you to strive for more?

I was born in a humble mill town where almost everyone worked in the local factories. Early in life I began to recognize that spiders spin their wonderful webs from memories of yesterday, and so they never venture beyond where they are born. I also recognized that fledgling sparrows often fall to the ground while seeking flight, but quickly thereafter fly high to yonder mountain peaks. I could sense something tugging at me to be like the fledgling sparrow and dare to leave my community.

It was a tug, tug, tugging with me that had me imagine countless exciting experiences that could be available to me if I only dared venture a step or two beyond my comfort zone. In my book, And Then I Met Margaret I offer the reader twenty-one experiences (short stories), that had me feeling like a grain of wheat springing to life in a field beyond where I was born. I share many remarkable life lessons offered to me, that elevated the quality of my experiences of living.

3. What is your best memory from growing up?

My best memory of growing up is the summer mornings at age five and six, when I would jump out of bed early to watch the sun rise with my sister, Buffy. We would play and play all day, and would have continued to play all night until the moon would set – had our parents it. It is that boundless joy and zeal for life that I think back on so fondly.

4. Tell us a little bit about And Then I Met Margaret.

My book And Then I Met Margaret is a memoir – a collection of twenty-one short stories about everyday, ordinary, unassuming gurus I met over the past six decades of living. The book is an easy, quick read, and in it I share with the reader the ultimate secret to success. Ultimately we must be willing to live with error continuously and “course correct” ongoingly if we are to reach the kingdom of heavenly dreams that we seek to achieve.

The book gives you the opportunity to see yourself differently, so you can get truly excited about what lies ahead for you. I believe the book is naturally inspiring and offers you many different realities from which to look at your whims and your fantasies, so they may manifest into reality. I also believe that in just reading this book, an opportunity to experience a personal transformation will avail itself to you.

5. It looks like second chances are a big theme throughout the book. I think most of us have been in need of a second chance at some point in our lives. Has this been a theme throughout your life?

Yes, I believe life is always offering us a Second Chance, again and again until we get it right. If we allow “love for living” to be our compass, then winning and winning becomes our experience, even when the thunder roars and the mountain shakes. When I came to understand the Principle of Second Chances, I no longer judged myself nor did I condemn others for their errors. That left me with the freedom to claim victory after victory with his worldly aspirations. That’s because I had established love in my heart and peace in my mind. I look at life with utter bewilderment at how many times I have been forgiven my mistakes, and offered answered to make corrections.

6. What is your single best advice for someone that is perhaps not in the best place in their life at the moment? Perhaps someone in need of a second chance?

If someone were to come to me, in need of a Second Chance, I would say to him or her, “You are a rich and majestic child of Infinite Intelligence. You are marvelously made and destined to win at whatever you set your mind to. Now it is your time to honor that position. Anything you honor about yourself that is less than that is a dishonor. Your true freedom to prove this true for you is won and lost in your head and your heart. Turn to your heart for advice. It will not forsake you. When in doubt about this, just stand still and listen.”

7. What's the next step for you? Do you have more projects in the works?

The next step for me is to continue my journey as an author. I choose to be a conduit for truth and love. I believe the secret to rich living is giving. I want to live richly by sharing all that I have generously.

8. Has there been one famous figure that has influenced your life the most? Someone that you have modeled your life after?

I would say that Socrates is the one famous figure that I favor most. I was introduced to Socrates in high school, and I still turn my attention to his wisdom daily. There are two tips that I love best, that Socrates shares with all of us:

(1) “Know thyself”
(2) “The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.”

That second tip keeps me humble and hungry for more.

How about some fun questions.
9. Which superhero would you like to be?

I’m old fashion when it comes to super heroes – I would love to be superman. At one level I want to be powerful while at another level I want to be vulnerable. What an exquisite recipe for compassionate living!

10. Paperback books or e-books?

I love paperback books over e-books. I like to feel the paper with my fingertips and smell the paper with my nose, as well as read it with my eyes, and even read it aloud occasionally so my ears can get involved. The more of my five senses that I can engage in the reading of the book – the more I get out of it.

[Interviewer note: I love the smell of physical books as well. There's just something about it that's irreplaceable.]

11. Cheddar or american?

I love cheese. I love all kinds of cheese; the more exotic, the better. I have visited many cheese caves in America and in France. Love em! But, do you know what is most pleasing to my palate? Good old American Cheese like the kind my mother would get when I was a kid.

12. Favorite book? TV show? Movie?

My favorite book is “The Book of Mirdad” by Mikhail Naimy. Much, much wisdom is found in that book.

My favorite tv show is still the old Seinfeld reruns. I love a good laugh.

My favorite movie is still Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Their relationship floored me. Such integrity. Such transparency!

Again, I want to thank Mr. White for his time and insight.

To view his book on Amazon click here: Amazon

To view his book on OBC bookshelves click here: Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you both for the interesting interview! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is refreshing to receive such wisdom from a man who has been touched by many and who passes the inspiration to many more.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Mr. White does have many "epochs" in his favor; that's why, he can share valuable advice. I'm glad he'll continue sharing his experiences. Thanks both for this interesting interview!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam - His answers are almost poetic. He definitely has wisdom to share.

Kalin - Yes you are right about that! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Thank you Rob White for writing a book about your life experiences and transformation. It's really inspiring and I believe people will learn a lot from your experiences and excel also.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Does anyone think that the answer to the question relating to someone needing some inspiration in life is a bit fleeting? Someone who is down and out and looking for a way out of their situation is needing more than general feel-good talk and needs some genuine problem solving for real-life problems.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

N_R wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 02:58 Does anyone think that the answer to the question relating to someone needing some inspiration in life is a bit fleeting? Someone who is down and out and looking for a way out of their situation is needing more than general feel-good talk and needs some genuine problem solving for real-life problems.
What would you say?
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"If I am sounding arrogant, please forgive me. I do not believe there is one thing of significance that I’ve achieved that is not available to anyone who understands themselves rightly. It is as easy to attract the good in life as it is to attract the bad, and that’s because it’s as easy to tune into your feeling of aliveness as to tune into your fear of failure. What’s required is getting in touch with that pure spirit within you that knows how to dance with reality. That is what saved me from thinking life was supposed to be a struggle.

I have examined well my head and my heart, and it is clear to me that whatever I might say about myself, I can safely say is true about everyone else. It is to the degree that I say faithfully, “If it is to be for me is up to me,” and act accordingly, that I attract life’s many riches to me. I find it joyful and natural to draw blessing on the world, knowing that what I bless will bless me. Sweet liberty! That’s what I think life is all about. That is The Law of Reciprocity! It is absolutely true that what we do unto others shall be done unto us. I live by that rule." I read this twice. It was that great, so inspirational. Thanks goes to Mr. White and Kands! For a eye opening interview
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir and this has encouraged me to read more memoirs.

Return to “Author Interviews”